Sacrificed for Happiness

We All Have Doubts

It was 1924 in Michigan, United States sometime during the late summer. Fall was coming but right now the only thing one could hear, could feel was pain.

“Father please! Don’t hurt her!” Jenny cried tears running down her cheeks as she held out her arms for the baby girl their father held in one hand.

“Shut up!” he snapped grabbed her fore arm roughly and jerking her forward. Jenny whimpered and growled at him.

“I can’t believe you! Having a child! You’re not even married you whore!” he yelled angrily.

“It was a mistake, but I’m not a whore!” she shouted. He released her pushing her away as he did.

“You’re not keeping her.” He growled.

“I don’t need your permission!” Jenny shouted pushing him out of rage. He dropped Jane causing Jenny’s eyes to widen. She went to catch the baby when her father grabbed her.

Adrianna caught Jane quickly and moved away.

“I got her, Jenny,” she called holding the crying child close rocking her.

Jenny nodded slightly and looked to their father.

“Let go and get out!” she snapped.

“This is my house.” He growled angrily at her. He liked to flaunt his authority when in reality the only thing he had was nothing. He liked control which was something Jenny often refused to give to him.

“You know, why don’t you go back to your girlfriend and her children?!” she snapped before kicking him in the leg painfully. He winced his grip on her arm loosening. She moved away from him quickly. Without another word she went over to Adrianna and Jane her face showing her worry.

“She’s okay, Jenny,” Adrianna assured handing the child back to her.

Jenny took the child and held her close nodding.

“Thank you…so much.” She said her voice shaking slightly.

“You should have more respect for your father; both of you.” Their father growled suddenly.

“You don’t deserve our respect you sick monster!” Jenny shouted at him. It was true, she had no respect for her father which in this day and age wasn’t a very good thing.

Adrianna though she did respect their father some, it still wasn’t very much.

“I think you should leave now.” Their mother spoke up walking into the room with a stern face.

“Shut up, bitch,” he said coldly glaring at her. He was loosing control and he knew it. That’s why he stared cussing. He wanted his control back.

“It wasn’t a request father. It was a demand. Now leave,” Jenny growled icily. She was much like their father. She was loyal to herself and what she wanted. She looked much like their father as well.

In one way it was funny, though Jenny found it insulting, to be like her father and it be so obvious.

Adrianna, Jenny believed was to be the lucky one. Adrianna was like their mother in so many ways. Like replica. Jenny had to admit, in a way she was almost jealous. She hated being so much alike with their father.

He was abuse – mentally, physically, and emotionally especially to Jenny. A few people said that wasn’t true but Jenny knew it was. She knew why too. Their father was afraid of her, because she was so much like him. He lost control easily because of this. In a long run it made things harder for Jenny.

The dark haired girl wasn’t usually so cold hearted to people and was usually much more respectful but when he came around only rage, hate, and disgust could be seen. Once, she even pulled out a hunting gun and pointed it at him. She had almost pulled the trigger too, but Adrianna had stopped her.

Jenny would have been hung if their father had been killed there. Adrianna didn’t want that. Jenny had told her sister that she didn’t care. He had to die so that they could be free even if it meant she had to die.

Jenny was to rash and reckless, Adrianna and their mother didn’t like that. It gave them both much more to worry about. Jenny, though as intelligent as she was, didn’t think before she acted. Sometimes this got her into trouble which often caused trouble for their mother and Adrianna.

Jenny apologized, but that didn’t necessarily make it better. After all, it didn’t make the problem go away.

Jenny sighed softly as their father finally left. She sat down and rocked Jane who was crying softly.

“I’m sorry…” she said suddenly. The words weren’t only directed at Jane though. They were directed at Adrianna and their mother.

“For what, sister?” Adrianna asked frowning slightly.

“For…having Jane...” she said replied sadly as she stared down at the baby girl in her arms sadly. “If I hadn’t, then father wouldn’t be able to yell and complain about it.”

“He would just find something else to yell about.” Adrianna noted.

“I know but…I just…feel like it’s my fault…” Jenny’s words trailed off as she held Jane closer. “Jane deserves better. She deserves to be happy…and safe.”

“Jenny…You aren’t thinking of giving her up are you?” Adrianna asked frowning deeply. She knew how much her sister wanted a child.

Jenny didn’t respond.

“Sister, you can’t. Jane will come back looking for you. You can’t just leave her. She’ll want to be with you.” The red haired girl said knowingly.

“But –“

“No buts, you want her don’t you? I can tell.” She said.

“Of course I want her, but I want her to be safe more then anything.” Jenny said looking up at Adrianna.

“What if she leaves and she goes with a family and isn’t safe?” Adrianna asked.

Jenny looked worried again but looked back down at Jane.

“I guess you’re right.” She replied softly.

Adrianna walked up to her and hugged her carefully.

“It’ll be okay,” she assured.

“I hope so…” Jenny replied hugging her sister back with one arm.