Dancing in the Rain

Dancing in the Rain

Ville watched his lover with both worry and weariness in his eyes. He honestly wasn’t sure whether he should be concerned for Bam or steeling himself for whatever prank his love was planning.

It was just that Bam was sitting still. He’d been sitting still. Actually, he’d been sitting in the exact same position, staring out the window, for the past fifteen minutes with a far away look upon his face.

Anyone who knew Bam in the slightest knew this was never a good thing. It either meant Bam was depressed or he was planning something big. Ville wasn’t exactly sure which one he should hope for.

“Bam?”

“Hmm?”

“Are… Are you okay?”

“Yah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Uh-huh. Just waiting.”

Ville blinked in confusion. “Waiting? For what?”

“Just wait… It’s almost here.”

Well, that didn’t ease Ville’s confusion at all. Rain splatters began to hit the window and Ville sighed. He wasn’t exactly fond of the rain. Bam, however, smiled, standing suddenly and grabbing Ville’s hand. He pulled Ville down the stairs and to the front door.

“Wait! Bam!”

Bam stopped and looked back at him, confused. “What?”

“What are you doing?”

“Going outside.”

“But it’s raining.”

Bam nodded. “Exactly. It’s summer rain.”

Ville just looked at him blankly.

Bam sighed, vaguely wondering if Finland even had summer rains. “Summer rain is special. It’s warm. Summer rain storms last only about twenty minutes, perfect to go out and dance around in. There’s no sprinkles, just a downpour that soaks you to the skin.”

Ville still didn’t understand, but Bam figured the best way to explain was to just drag Ville outside, so he threw open the door and tugged his reluctant boyfriend out into the pouring down rain.

Bam released Ville’s hand, twirling and spinning. He laughed aloud, turning his face up to the sky and shutting his eyes as fat raindrops hit his nose, forehead, and cheeks. His hair was soon dripping with water, his clothes soaked through, but he still danced, spreading his arms out wide and sticking his tongue out to catch the rain.

Ville hovered near the door, trying to escape the downpour. He watched Bam with a fond smile. His crazy Bammie.

“Come on, love. Come back inside before you get sick.”

Bam stopped and looked at him, cocking an eyebrow. “Come out and dance with me.”

“Bam –”

“No, Ville. Come dance with me.”

Ville sighed and stepped out under the rain with a grimace. Bam caught him up in his arms and spun him around. Ville giggled, childish happiness whelming up inside of him. Bam set him down on his feet and spun away, back to twirling under the rain. Without thinking, Ville, too, spun and twirled. They danced around together, laughter and giggles filling the air.

When the rain stopped, Ville found him self sad. He moved to go back inside, but Bam stopped him. “Just wait.”

Bam wrapped his arms around Ville’s waist, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek and stroking his stomach through his rain-soaked shirt.

“There… Look.”

Ville looked to where Bam was pointing and sucked in a breath. It was beautiful, the rainbow that stretched across the sky. Beautiful colors against the gray rain clouds.

“Sometimes you just have to be impulsive and go dance in the rain. It’s a pure feeling… Like when you’re a kid. You’re just happy. And afterwards, there’s always a rainbow.”

Ville leant back in Bam’s arms and twisted his head to kiss Bam’s neck, nose tickled by Bam’s curly wet hair.

“Love you, Bammie.”

“Love you, too, Ville.”

THE END