Sequel: Road Trip
Status: Finished. The Sequel, Road Trip Is Active

A Sea Of Dead Drives Men Insane

Chapter 3

A Few days later

Just 28 days now, Craigifer. 28 days until I have you wrapped around my pinky begging me for death...

I stared down at my shiny silver cell, in total disbelief. How the hell did he get my number?? I thought, tears pricking my brown eyes. Questions rolled around in my head, pestering me, nagging at me. How did he get my number, my own personal number?? I didn’t understand, my knees collapsed from under me with utter fear. The words 28 days whirling around in my head. He already knew how to get to me and he hadn’t even met me yet. I dropped my cell on the floor, feeling uneasy. My head began to spin, this just couldn’t be happening to me.

I began shaking, my heart racing. I couldn’t live on my own, I needed someone to talk to. I couldn’t confide in the guys...could I?

I closed my eyes, descending me into a sweet velvet darkness. A world where Ronnie could never get me.
Inhale
Exhale
Inhale
Exhale


My heart rate began to slow, and I opened my eyes, my outside world not spinning anymore. I thought about who I could trust. Who was my best friend? Who did I confide in? I shuffled through my thoughts, trying to get the organised again and the name that popped into my head first, was Max.

Ever since Max and I met, we’d got along like a house on fire. Teaming up to play practical jokes, messing around and play fighting. I would definitely say he was my best friend. I went through his break up with his ex-girlfriend Juliet with him, helped him, and now he’s well on the way to loving again, which makes me happy. He’s not living with anyone, maybe I should get him to move in...or at least tell him about what’s happening.

I glanced over at the clock-4am. Too early to call him.

Maybe I should get some sleep.

I walked over to my bed, stripping off as I trudged and flopped onto my messy but oh-so-comfortable bed, and my eyelids began to drift...

------

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I woke with a start, covered in a layer of sweat, flailing and flapping around, looking for my cell. My brain scrambled and tried to gather it’s thoughts again. I’d left it on the floor.

I rolled out of bed stealth style and hit the floor, spotting my cell bleeping, vibrating and flashing before my eyes. I grabbed it, straining my eyes in the dim room that was my bedroom to see who was calling.

Max. Relief washed through my body, I remembered I really had to talk to him.

“Hey Max,” I said, picking my cell up. The beep was starting to irritate me.

”Hey Craigifer,” A chill ran through my body. ”We’ve got a day off writing today, wanna hang out?” I smiled, I would have liked nothing better.

“Of course, I’ve been really wanting to talk to you actually.” I said, scanning the room for some decent clothes to go out in.

”Oh yeah, what about?” I hesitated, stopping in my tracks.

“Just wait ‘til I see you, it’s sorta a long story,” I said, grimacing.

”Oh okay. So I’ll meet you at Munchies then?”

“Sure, see ya,”

”Later.” I hung up, throwing my phone back onto the bed and wandering into the bathroom, stripping my remaining scrap of clothes, being my boxers, off and stepping into my heavenly (but very expensive) power shower.

-------

“So, what’s up?” Max asked, chewing on a French fry he’d just popped into his mouth. I hesitated, my heart racing a little. I twiddled with a lock of my long, no longer greasy hair. I stared at my pile of French fries, and suddenly wasn’t hungry anymore. I took a deep breath, and looked dead into Max’s eyes, gathering courage.

“Max...Ronnie’s been in touch,” I finally said, and had the displeasure of watching Max’s face go from easy-going-relaxed to oh-my-fucking-god-my-best-friend’s-going-to-die.

“What’s he said to you?” His voice suddenly defensive.

“He-he’s been threatening me. And somehow he’s got my cell number and email address and he’s been messaging me since...I dunno, since he found out I’d joined the band I think. Saying that he wanted to kill me, get me, do all these...urgh, horrible things to me. It’s shit scary dude, I don’t know what to do. The messages have got more and more frequent and scary as it’s got closer to his...release date.” I shook a little, taking a nibble of a French fry. Hoping and praying Max would know what to do.

“Dude, I don’t know what to do. You should have told me...”

“I know. I’m sorry I was just...” I hated to admit it but “Scared,”

“Is there anything I can do? Apart from stick up for you when he does come out cos...you don’t even need to ask me that. I’m there.” Max smiled, making me smile back. It was much better, someone having my back.

“Thanks, Max. I would like...errr,” I laughed, this was going to sound weird. “A Flatmate, so I’m not on my own,”

“I’m there, don’t worry Craig, I’ll do anything you need. I’m here.” Max said almost immediately. I stood up, shaking his hand, giving him a man hug and a thump on the back. “When do I move in?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Isn't Max Nice?