The Lightning Strike

That Person

Tohl University was a large and expensive school, filled with many students, that was exceedingly difficult to get into. Today was the beginning of the year, the entrance exams were to be taken that very day as well.
In fact Light Yagami, and L were to be taking that same exam...
And it would also be the day that they would meet Wanderer for the first time.

---

“You there! Student number 162! Sit properly in your chair!”
L continued to sit in his normal position and ignored the protests of the Exam Advisor. Instead, he focused on the test. After awhile, the Advisor's protests faded away from the Hall as he began to give up. Finally, he quit annoying the boy and walked away, quite ruffled. Out of the corner of his eye, he surveyed Light Yagami, not just three desks in front of him. Light turned around and looked at L. L lifted his head and looked straight at him, his wide eyes that spoke indifference were rimmed ( as always would be) with dark bags underneath. They continued to watch each other’s eyes silently. Between them, it was almost as if the lion and the jackal were combating for the win. What they both knew, but not the other knew, was that they had reached an unspoken declaration of war. They were to fight, and they were to fall. They had both come to the same conclusion as they saw each other for the first time. They were both a threat to themselves, and both a threat to each other. Light knew this man was dangerous, so he would kill him in the name of justice. L concluded that Light was Kira, and would not rest until justice had been served.
L’s eyes drifted back down to his paper. Light’s eyes hardened and he breathed a deep, shaky breath.
L was completely oblivious to this. He fidgeted slightly as he watched his test paper. He was actually slightly irritated. The test consisted of nothing more than Mathematics, Japanese and English questions, all of which were far too easy. Sitting in his thinking stance, he rubbed one of his feet over the other in a thoughtful manner.
What L didn’t know was that among the sophomores of Tohl (every year, the second-years of Tohl University were to re-take the entrance exam with the students that were to enter Tohl), there was another who was as irritated with the test just as much as he, maybe even more.

Wanderer sat across the room, glaring at the pages in front of her. No, she was not frustrated with the fact that she couldn’t see the test; (in fact, all she had to do was touch an exam question and it would appear in her mind) no, she was angry that she had to take it all over again. But she knew that to stay at Tohl she would have to re-take the exam.
She gave a quiet sigh and picked up her pencil.
Wanderer touched the page discreetly, allowing her wits to soak up every question. She searched her brain quickly; finding an answer to every one of them before she began writing.
She finished the test in 10 minutes; setting it neatly face-down on the desk in front of her. And she waited.
What else was there to do?
She laid her head down on her arms and observed her surroundings the only way she could. In her limitless world of darkness, she could sense the beings of those around her and read their emotions. Wanderer scanned the whole room carefully. She didn’t want to miss a single person. She had had to scan her comrades frequently when she worked with the Rangers back in The Immortal Realm to make sure that none of them had been entered or contaminated mentally in some way by the Wrathes.

I could feel the inhabitants of the theater’s thoughts swirling and whooshing past my ears and around my head. Most of the incoming students were nervous and edgy, some were confident, while others had not a care in the world, and were already finished like me.
And that’s when I sensed him.
That person.
I felt my spine tingle and my lungs close up as his intense spiritual energy ate into mine. I could even get anywhere near his mind to listen to his thoughts. He had lashed out viciously at me like an awakening cobra when my consciousness had probed its way to three feet in front of him. Frightened, I drew back immediately, only to find another spiritual energy trying to beat my perception into submission. This one was of a darker kind, much more malevolent, more ambitious, and overly proud. It was like the other spirit energy, but with its components amplified ten times more.
I pulled back faster than a wounded cheetah fleeing from a lion. I grimaced as I opened my eyes.
I had received a major migraine from the suffocating, pounding blows. I felt like curling up in a ball, crouched in a corner, whimpering. So, since I was in an auditorium, not a private room by myself, I assumed the fetal position for the remainder of the two hours squished in my chair.
When I finally heard the scraping of chairs against the thinly-carpeted concrete floor, and the flipping sound of test papers being meshed together in piles, I stood up like everyone else and stretched. I flipped my long hair over my shoulder accepted the test papers that my line of students gave me. I settled them neatly on my desk at the end of the row. With that I slung my white book/beach-bag over my shoulder and filed out with the rest of the sophomores.
In my tormenting sea of darkness, the waves crashed in fury against the rocks; the waves spinning and twining and merging together as if they were constantly re-enacting some sort of sickening ritual dance, while they tried to crush each other with sheer brute force.
Behind the waves of darkness, fuzzy whispers that focused in and out of tune like a radio unable to catch a signal while being pushed from station to station repeatedly and nonstop. The whispers told me stories. They were stories of the dead; stories of the living, and sometimes stories of the unknown, which only the dead and I will ever understand.
And in the middle of the mayhem and terrifying confusion, I stood. The waves and wind blew around me, surrounding and caging me within like a tower. This was my soul. This was my being. And as I stepped out of the auditorium, watchful eyes that seldom seemed to look at anything, followed me. I turned my face towards where I knew this person was, and looked straight back into his own eyes. I saw nothing, and I saw everything.
I turned away and stepped from the darkness and into the fresh, crisp light.
‘He’s the one.’
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, yeah, it sucks, I know.