This Tragic Affair

Welcome, To This Tragic Affair

Today was going to be the best day of my life. My future children would look at the photos and tell me how pretty I looked in my snow white gown. How my dark red hair shone with health and how my skin glowed as the light hit it just right.

But as I walked up the aisle, I knew something wasn't right. Daniel wasn't there at the pew, like he was supposed to be. The minister gave me an apologetic smile as I arrived in front of him.

I turned back to face the lines of guests seated in the church. Their faces, too, bore the unmistakeable sign of confusion. People began to whisper in hushed voices through barely open lips; my blood pressure began to rise with stress.

Until all of a sudden, the huge oak door swung open.

I began to stride back down the aisle, ready to let all loose on my fiance for ruining it all. But something was wrong; maybe it was the petrified look on his face as his eyes gazed across the church, searching for something.

Yet as his eyes met mine, his face relaxed - and he collapsed with a dull thud on the aisle.

"Daniel!" I shrieked, running forward and slumping by his side. My hands grasped uselessly at his suit; the voices around me were eerily silent as I rolled his body over. I began to shake him, pleading and pleading...blood began to blossom from his chest, staining his white shirt...

"No! Daniel!" I began to scream, pulling his limp body close to mine as life slowly faded away. "Daniel!"

I could feel his blood soaking through my white gown and touching my skin...the people around me began to panic, attempting to prise my arms from his body. I ripped off my veil coughing and spluttering while Daniel remained ever so still...

Why wouldn't he move? Why was he bleeding? This wasn't happening...this wasn't happening...

Suddenly I was separated from him; hands grabbed me from all angles and dragged me away while from nowhere ambulance crew arrived and attempted to take him away from me...

I didn't realise I had been screaming until a burning fire seemed to erupt within my throat. I could hear people trying to calm me down as I continued to scream...

But within minutes, it was over.

The ambulance crew stopped trying to revive him. It was all over...

No - no, he couldn't have...

"NOOO!"

My piercing scream echoed around the hall and into the night;

My life as I knew it, was over.

Welcome, to this tragic affair.