Post-Apocalypse

Blading Basics

Joshua left the assembly hall with an entire 27-student year group in tow. He rolled down a hallway, passing a flight of stairs, and left through a door on his left. As he went through the doorway the sun fell down on him and he quickly covered his face and backed into the school corridor. Then he composed himself and reached into his inside jacket pocket, he pulled out a pair of dark sunglasses and put them on, he then pulled up the hood attached to his shirt, which had been concealed beneath his jacket, and pulled it over his head to keep the sun of his face which he now kept low. He reopened the door and rolled back out into the sunlight, cursing under his breath.
After crossing the road and entering the basketball courts Joshua had to wait a minute or so for his year nine students to catch up. When the students reached the basketball courts he emptied the contents of a large bag he’d left there earlier and the students were disappointed to see helmets fall to the ground, but no rollerblades. Upon noticing their disappointment Joshua laughed “You didn’t think I was going to lug a massive bag of ‘blades over did ya’?”
The entire class gave an almost perfectly synchronised chorus of “Awwww...” and every one of them was clearly upset.
“Don’t worry!” laughed Joshua “We’re going to ‘Blade Storage and you’re going to pick out a pair each.” the student’s faces brightened and the students started mumbling to each other excitedly. “We’re not going yet though,” Joshua cut in “first I’ve got to show you how it’s done.”

After he had shown the students all the basics he took them to ‘Blade Storage which was an old warehouse ‘round the corner from the Elite Guard headquarters. It was filled with rollerblades, spare parts, repair tools, safety equipment and more. Normally a trip from Seaford Head Upper to this warehouse would be about 5 minutes for Joshua but, as he had to keep at walking pace for the students, it had taken him 20 this time which aggravated him.
Then the selections began. First they all found boots that fitted well. Then they all chose their wheels and frames. Then, after choosing whether to have 4 or 8 wheels, their boots were put together and they were shown how to do this themselves. Then they all put their boots on. Joshua looked at them all and gave a cheeky smile “Right, we’re racing back. Let’s go!”
This time Joshua took 5 minutes to get back and had to wait a further 35 minutes for his class to arrive. He hadn’t thought this through very well. Of the 27 students 19 were injured to an extent that required first aid and they had all fallen, tripped or got lost along the way. But there was an upside that he hadn’t even imagined or considered would happen; They came back together. Some were supporting others, some had ripped-off pieces of shirts tied around wounds and one, rolling ahead of the rest and trying to hide his pain from them, was encouraging the rest, making sure they were all alright and pointing out any cracks and bumps in the road before they could throw off the rest of the class and he had clearly progressed farther than the rest in the last 40 minutes.
Joshua was going to have to find out more about this particular student.

Once he’d dealt with the various wounds of his students.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joshua already has his of course: All black K2 Fatty Pros with 4 Razors 91a wheels and 8 Abec 5 bearings. Please leave your comments!