Status: Considering its demise...

Zap!

First Dance

The day of the first day I woke up at 5:40. Almost an hour earlier than I had been. I showered, shaved my legs, straightened my hair, and then clipped the front half back. Then I had to decide what to wear. I narrowed my choices down to a dress. About 20 minutes later I'd shrunk it down to three choices. Then two. I finally decided on a dress that was pink with long sleeves and flowers alon the bottom. (*message pinkduckie5678 for a link to the dress*) I went down to the kitchen, schedule in hand. Patrick was sitting glumly at the table with Tyler and Vi and Faith were in the kitchen burning some toast. I grabbed some juice and an orange from the fridge then sat across from Patrick.
"Why so glum, chum?" I asked him.
"SOMEONE didn't make breakfast." He glared.
I took a bite of the orange to hide my laughter. Vi plopped down into the seat next to me and stared sadly at her black toast. I placed the schedule between us.
"Ok, Vi, you gotta help me out."
"Prep hour you do what you want. Psychology is like therapy, find me when you're ready to go. History is the same as any history class, I'll have Isaiah take you to that, he has it with you. I'll find you after that and take you to Testing. West'll explain that to you. I'll finish your practice suit by then so I'll bring it. Language you just pick a language and learn it, Math's the same as any school, chemical sciences, too. Art is soooooooooo much fun, and I'll help you around all day, k?"
I smiled and nodded.
At 7:40, for the first time, I followed everyone out the doors and into the school.

I should have stayed at the dorms. I shouldn't have woken up so early. Prep hour was basically extra time for me to get ready. All the kids had one, but I was the only one with first hour prep. The house was huge, but the school only took up about a third of it because there were so few teachers. There were three main hall ways and they all met in the cnter with a huge stained glass window that looked out over the gardens. Looking beyond the gardens, I still had no idea where I was. For an entire hour I waited in one of the soft chairs beneath the window for second hour to begin. Suddenly the doors all came crashing open and Vi rocketed over to me.
"C'mon! Lets get to Ms. Rains' class!"
Ms. Rains was a petite woman of about 29 years. She had long black hair that went halfway down her back and piercing blue eyes. Isaiah and Faith were also in this class. The room was split into two parts, the one we entered had two couches and the other half of the room was hidden behind a door.
"Cassandra, I think that you should come back first." Ms. Rains had a voice like clear water. I nodded and followed after her into the room behind the door, only slightly noticing how clammy my hands were. Ms. Rains gestured to a chaise lounge next to a leather chair. I sat on the end of it as she closed the door. She returned and sat on the chair, making it look huge in comparison.
"Ok, so what questions do you have?" she asked.
When I looked at her confused, she offered some.
"What is a mutant, how does it work, or even why?"
"I guess I'd like to know how."
"Well, so far we've discovered that every human has dormant DNA that sort of just sits there. But some times, under severe emotional stress, that DNA becomes active and creates special powers. The powers are not usually repeated in other mutants, and this is why we shall always be different from everyone else."
"Why?" I asked and she smiled.
"There really is no reason. Some mutants would like to believe that we are meant to rule over humans and some believe that we are meant to protect them. What do you think?"
"I think that we should not have these 'gifts' if we will not use them for the greater good of all living beings."
"We have similar thinking. Well, I think that is all we need to discuss today. I'll see you tomorrow."
I smiled, got up, and went to the other room. Faith was after me, and I sat on one of the couches next to Isaiah. Vi was tapping her foot impatiently, and at her speed it was a little less than a blur. Isaiah grinned at me.
"Gone crazy yet?"
"Almost." I grinned back at him.
Faith walked out of the room with tears streaming down her face and Vi jumped into the room.
"Faith, are you ok?" I asked concerned.
"Yes, I'm ok. It's just... different." She buried her face in her hands.
"Faith's a little... heavy when she gets feelings." Isaiah whispered to me.
Five minutes later Vi actually WALKED out of Ms. Rains' office and sat in Isaiah's now vacant seat. He had stood and traded places with her as soon as she left the room. Vi looked lost and a little relieved. Ten minutes later a bell chimed and Faith and Vi rose to their feet. Vi took my hand and dragged me out into the hallway with Isaiah close behind. She whirled and grabbed my shoulders.
"Ok, right now is my prep hour. Go with Isaiah, he has Jackson with you next. I'm gonna go get your practice suit done, k? Now run, run, RUN!" She shoved me into Isaiah and sped down the hallway. Isaiah grinned, turned, and started to stroll down the nearly empty hallway. I followed closely after him.
"So what's Jackson like?" I asked.
"You know President Andrew Jackson?"
"Yeah, what about him?"
"That's him."
"Who?"
"Jackson is Jackson. But he's a ghost. Regan summoned him up a few months ago and the bastard refuses to go back to the grave. So West gave him a job."
I've never had anyone as strange as Mr. Jackson teach me. First of all, he didn't have feet. Just mist. It was only Isaiah and me in that class and we were stufying the spoil system. Jackson had really old maps just thrown around and beautiful paintings on the walls. He had turned the room into one of the sitting rooms from centuries ago. Isaiah went and sat on the couch with posture obviously taught to him by Mr. Jackson, and I sat carefully on the couch across from him. When Jackson walked through the chalkboard and came into the room, the temperature dropped by a few degrees. He stared at me.
"Miss, who are you?"
I stood, feeling stupid that I had not introduced myself.
"I'm Cassandra Crane, sir. I'm new here."
"Oh, yes. Mr. West informed me of your arrival. Please, sit."
I sat and folded my hands in my lap and crossed my legs at my ankles. Mr. Jackson floated over to a cabinet and pulled out some whiskey. He tossed it back and smiled.
"Bless Miss Regan, I thought I'd never taste whiskey again after I died."
He straightened his coat and pointed at a chart hanging from the chalkboard.
"Me against the selfish ignorant pigs in the banks."
And so it began.
An hour later the bell chimed. I swallowed hard. Here it was. Testing. Vi stood in the doorway grinning as I dragged my feet out of the room. She had a bag slung over her shoulder and she buzzed with excitement.
"Are you ready?" She asked as she pulled me down the hallway and into an empty elevator.
"Uh, no." I said as the doors slid closed.
"Why not? Do you wanna see your uniform?"
"I'll wait."
"You're no fun. Are you scared?" she asked.
"A little bit." I confessed.
"Don't be! It's so much fun."
The doors opened to a hallway with three doors. The center door was metal with a big lock on it. The door on the left was dark blue and the door on the right was red. Vi pulled me towards the red one.