Status: Considering its demise...

Zap!

The Big-Headed Jerk

The door opened onto a locker room. There were lockers on the left and curtains to the right which were used as changing rooms. The wall straight ahead was a mirror and Regan stood in front of it, placing the finishing touches on her makeup. When she looked up and noticed me, she scowled and marched out the other metal door in the room.
"Time to change." Vi tossed the bag at me and shoved me into one of the curtain changing areas. I shook my head and began to unwrap the package. The blue-black cloth spilled out and I saw that it was a full body suit that zipped up in the front from the stomach.
"Heads up!" Vi called out.
I looked up just in time to catch the shoes she threw over. They were made of the same material as the suit and they had a tall thin heel. I pulled my dress over my head and pulled the suit on with the shoes. Then I zipped up and found that Vi had only given me enough zipper to create a very low v-neck. I tossed aside the curtain and put my dress in one of the lockers. Vi flung open the curtain and struck a pose. She had a solid black halter style suit with bare arms. I glared at her and pointed at the neckline on my own suit.
"What's with this?"
She shrugged and went to the mirror, fluffing her hair.
"Don't know what you're talking about."
I narrowed my eyes and pulled my hair into a high ponytail.
"Don't forget your earpiece." Vi added.
"What earpiece."
She reached onto the top shelf of my new locker and pulled out a small piece of black plastic. Before she handed it to me, she looked over my suit.
"Damn, I do good work."
A small smile tugged at my lips. The legs of the suit were tight and the waist was like a corset without the strings, causing the v-neck to be more noticeable by pushing my chest up and out. Vi smiled and passed me the earpiece. I slid it into my ear and sighed, then followed Vi into the "class room".
It was a huge metal room with a thin strip of light coming from an observation room above. Regan sat in the middle of the room by herself with her head thrown back and her eyes closed. Almost as soon as Vi and I got into the room, Jack burst out of the other door, talking into his earpiece.
"Sorry I'm late, West, I-"
He spotted me and stopped in his tracks, studdering for a moment. Vi elbowed my ribs.
"Again I say, damn, I do good work!"
West's voice sounded in my ear from the earpiece, "OK class, we're going to do the same thing as yesterday. And all of you, watch out for Cassandra and help her along."
Regan sent me a look of contempt over her shoulder at me and I sent a silent, sarcastic, thanks to West.
A huge wind went through the room and suddenly we were all in a desert with an ordinary man in front of us. But between him and all of us was a man who had his hands out in front of us, two wicked looking daggers floating over his palms, and more at his feet. I took a step back as Vi tried to zoom around the man floating knives, but he shot one at her and nearly stabbed her.She swooped back and landed next to me.
"Still not fast enough!" she growled.
Regan raised her arms above her head and ghost warriors materialized around her. They charged at the man but he re-killed them and they disappeared. I started to edge away from the group and circle around the man. Jack followed suit but in the opposite direction. Regan planted herself in front of him and Vi flew above him. He just grinned and pulled up more knives. A voice came into my head. I'd never heard it before and I knew it wasn't knife-guy because he was focused on Regan.
You can't beat him.
He is better than you.
You will lose.
You can't even use your powers.
You will lose.
You will lose.
You will lose.
I started getting angry at this unknown voice for talking down to me. I clenched my fists and the sand started to swirl around my feet. The knives on the man's hands trembled. He looked scared as they were pulled from his hands and the remaining knives around his feet disappeared as they were swallowed by the sand. Jack pulled against the wind to the ordinary man. As soon as he grabbed the man's hand, everything except Jack, Regan, and Vi disappeared. I was surprised so the sand storm I'd been creating died instantly. Vi sent me a small smile before another wind blew into the room. Then we were in a random big city. It was deserted and everything was covered in a thin layer of purple goo. I heard Regan curse under her breath. West's voice again sounded in my ear.
"Regan, you are now the weak link here. Watch carefully, all of you."
We looked into the shadows and Vi stood next to me.
"This is Peter Harper. He used to go here, but then he went bad. Don't hold back." She said stiffly.
The goo in front of me began to quiver and take form. I took a step back as it pulled itself up and took the shape of a 6 foot tall teenage boy. He grinned when he saw Jack lunge for him and he dropped back to the ground and turned back into goo. Fear trickled down my spine as I realized all the goo was this boy. We were almost inside his body. The place we stood was the only clearing in the whole city. Even as I calculated how much space I would have to move, the clearing shrunk more. Vi shot up suddenly in the air and I saw that the goo had almost grabbed her. The rest of us on the ground huddled close with Regan staying as far away from me as possible.
"Vi, look for a safe place!" Jack shouted up to her. She saluted and zoomed away. I felt so useless and so cold. So very, very cold. Hail started to rain from the sky as I brushed away the tears starting to fall from my eyes.
"Keep it up, Cass." Jack said softly next to me. I looked up and saw that most of the goo had frozen solid and only a little bit of it was left squirming.
"Where's the goal?" I asked.
"There." He pointed at the top of the building where a single form stood and next to her, Vi. My heart leaped to my throat when I saw her with a shocked expression on her face and a thin layer of goo all over her. The hail came harder as I panicked. West had never said that there was a possibility of danger! The grape Jell-O was over her face and I was sure she would suffocate soon. I started getting angry and hurricane winds pushed all the goo in front of me aside as I strode into the building and the winds kept the goo pushed back. Now I needed to get up on the roof. Jack put an arm in front of me as I stepped towards the doors leading into the building.
"Let me lead." He said as he pushed through the door. My irritation at him spiked and a large chunk of hail hit him in the head as he stepped through. I tried to look innocent as he turned and glared at me. Regan rolled her eyes and followed Jack through the building. When we got inside, the floor was a twitching mass of putty. Jack turned to me.
"Little assistance, please?"
I narrowed my eyes.
"I don't exactly know how."
He looked confused and Regan looked gleeful.
"What?" Jack practically shouted.
"Why don't you do something, big shot?"
I had the strange sense of knowing that someone was laughing at what I said. I placed my hands on my hips and stared him down. He turned his back on me and raised his hands in front of his chest. Then he spread his arms apart and red swirling shields spread the Jell-O to the side. I marched ahead of him, still angry, and took notice of the swirling black cloud above my head. Jack missed a little bit of the putty and it lunged at me because I was the first one that passed. I simply pointed a finger at it and smiled as I heard it sizzle after being struck by my lightning bolt. I walked up a few stairs with Regan next to me then turned back to see where Jack was. He'd been walking backwards behind us. He dropped his hands and threw a grin over his shoulder at me, violet eyes sparkling. My own eyes narrowed and I quickly turned and marched up the rest of the stairs.