Status: Considering its demise...

Zap!

The Dorms

I started to laugh.
"Seriously? You guys actually believe in aliens and mutants and stuff?" I gasped out.
"Yes, we do. Now would you like for me to remove the chain?"
Ok, he was trying to be polite. I could do polite.
"Oh, yes, please."
"Only if you swear not to run."
Under his intense stare I felt like I couldn't lie, and I bet that he would have been able to outrun me.
"Yeah, sure. I swear I won't run."
He stared at me for a moment, then pulled a small silver key from his pocket. He stepped around the bed and unlocked the chain on my wrist. My arm dropped to my side and I rolled my shoulder in relief.
"Would you like a tour?" he asked as he rolled the chain up and tossed it ontothe nearby desk.
I nodded and stood up stiffly. I think I was still in shock at all this info.
"If you would please follow me?" he said as he stepped into the hall. The hallway was a hot pink color with light wood floors. Six doors lined the hall. I followed dutifully after him like a little kid.
"I apologize for leaving the bracelet on your wrist, it's just a precaution for knowing where you are at all times. All the kids have one. We are currently in the girls' dorm. Right now there are three other girls living here. You will be living here until your education is complete, college included. Then you are free to leave whenever you wish or stay on to become a teacher and a member of Team Black."
I stopped. My thoughts were scrambling.
"Miss Crane?" He turned and looked at me, concerned.
"Did you just say I have to stay here?"
"Of course. You are a mutant, Miss Crane, and you need help. If you left now you would be a danger to those around you and to yourself."
"But I'm not a mutant."
"Do you not remember using your powers? You showed incredible abilities."
The lightning flashed in my memory. I gasped.
"Let's continue."
He walked me through the hallway and into a big lounge area. It was open and bright and had lots of comfortable looking furniture around. Against the wall was a huge stack of DVDs and video games, along with a ton of game systems.
"So this is the lounge. The kids usually hang out here whenever they can."
"Are we allowed to leave this place for shopping and stuff?"
"Yes, but you must be extremely careful. You must not give away your identity as a mutant. You would be captured and tested. Here the only testing we do is to see how much power you have. There's the boy's dorm," he said, pointing at a huge white door. "People of the opposite genders are allowed into the other dorms only until 10 o'clock."
I bit my cheek to keep from smiling. This all seemed ridiculous and incredibly funny to me.
"Sir, this is interesting and everything, but I still don't believe you."
He smiled and started to walk to another white door. We must have been in a mansion or something because the place was huge and full of doors. I even had a bathroom in my room!
"You've woken up just in time for dinner. Shall I let the other students prove it to you?"