Eight Days A Week

Beauty In the Breakdown

Kennedy had fallen asleep on the floor next to Cappie, who still had a firm grasp on his hand. Her phone began to vibrate, signaling she was getting a phone call. Finally it erupted into a loud chorus of Straylight Run’s ‘How Do I Fix My Head?’. he grabbed it before it could make anymore noise and answered it.

“Hello,” he said quietly, not wanting to wake Cappie. He looked back at her. She was still sound asleep.

“Uh, what’re you doing answering my sister’s phone?” The other voice on the end brought him back to reality. It was Garrett. “If you took advantage of her Kennedy--” His voice grew louder with rage.

“Relax!” Kennedy hissed. He would never do anything like that to a girl, especially Cappie. “She’s fast asleep.” he said calmly.

Kennedy heard Garrett sigh on the other end. “I’ll be there soon.” before Kennedy could protest and tell him he had it covered, Garrett hung up.

Kennedy sighed and hit the end button. Not wanting anyone else to call and wake Cappie, he decided to put her phone on silent. Of course, he didn’t know how to work a blackberry, he ended up stumbling into her pictures. He told himself not to, but his curiosity got the best of him.

It was mainly just pictures of her and Garrett and the rest of the band. The very last picture caught his eye though. It was of him and Cappie kissing. It was so beyond old. It was the summer before their senior year. Kennedy had been out of town for two weeks, visiting family. Cappie was staying at her friend, Delia’s house.

Kennedy, from having missed her like crazy, did not want to wait till the first day of school to see her. He drove to Delia’s and found her room, which was easy to spot seeing as how her room was the only one with a light on. He walked to the side of the house and looked for a way to climb up. He noticed the tree and thought to himself, “perfect.” Carefully and quietly he climbed up the tree.

Peering into the window, he saw Cappie sitting on the bed, reading the newest issue of AP. She had recently put blonde in her hair, underneath the red. Kennedy smiled to himself. He reached and lightly rapped on the window. Cappie looked up from her magazine. Delia entered the room and immediately spotted Kennedy at the window. She said something to Cappie, then nodded towards the window.

Cappie snapped her head towards the window. She walked closer and smiled when she saw it was Kennedy. She opened the window. “Hey beautiful,” he greeted immediately.

“What’re you--” But before she could go any further, he placed his hand on the back of her neck and brought her in for a sweet kiss.

“I missed you.” he said, pulling away, but still remaining just inches away from her face. “I got you something.” Her eyes lit up. “You have to come with me.” he said. She looked from him to Delia with uncertainty.

“I’ll leave the window open.” Delia smiled. Cappie ran to hug her then slipped on her flip-flops and climbed out of the tree to meet Kennedy, who was already on the ground waiting for her.

He grabbed her hand and they ran to his car. Third Eye Blind was playing in the background, leaving them in comfortable silence. He drove out to the diner, their usual place to hang out. They had their first date there back in freshman year and had been coming ever since. At this point, they were regulars.

He ran to the side and opened the door for her as usual. He laced his fingers through hers and led her inside. They took a seat at their regular booth. Kennedy leaned over and kissed her again. He was jumpy.

“Someone’s happy.” she noted, smiling at him.

“I am,” he said. “I’ve missed you and now I’m back and I’m happy because I’m with you.” he said quickly. He was nervous. She laughed at him. “So, your present.” he reached into his pocket. Cappie’s eyes lit up again he pulled out a small box.

She dropped her mouth in astonishment. Was he really? “A-are you--?” her throat was dry causing her voice to break.

He gave her a small chuckle as he opened the box. “Not yet, no.” she swallowed the lump in her throat as the one in his grew. “It’s a p-promise ring.” he was suddenly growing more nervous. “My mom helped me pick it out,” It was a single pink diamond on a platinum band. “A promise that I’m always gonna love you.” He took the ring out and placed it on her left ring finger. “no matter what.” he finished saying.

“Oh, Kennedy,” she breathed. She peered at it. “It’s beautiful.” a tear fell down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. “I love you.” she reached forward and kissed him.

Kennedy was quickly brought back to reality when he heard someone step on the bus. He reluctantly pulled his hand out of Cappie’s grasp. She stirred a little, but stayed asleep. Kennedy walked to the front area, not surprised to see Garrett.

Garrett’s face scrunched up as she sniffed around. “Whoa dude!” Garrett said, realizing it was Kennedy.

“She threw up on me.” Kennedy answered, knowing immediately he was referring to him. Garrett mouthed and ‘oh’ in understandment. He then moved past Kennedy, into the back with Kennedy following.

Garrett stared at her sleeping form. He shook his head, then looked at Kennedy. “I got it from here.” he stated.

“No, it’s fine. I don’t mind.” Kennedy protested. He didn’t want to leave her. He wanted to be there when she woke up to make sure she was okay.

“I know you don’t,” Garrett said. “but you smell. Go. I’ve got it from here.” Kennedy sighed in defeat and nodded his head. He looked at Cappie one last time before leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
See, Cappie's not a complete bitch.
I love flashbacks. You guys got to see how their relationship used to be.
Now I guess we understood why Cappie was seriously heartbroken and why she hates Kennedy.

So, feedback!