Sequel: X-Family
Status: Finished!

Rebirth

The Cure

My sister started at me with tear filled eyes, I didn't know what to say. I couldn't kill her, not with my stomach this size and oh you know, the fact that she's my sister and I couldn't fucking do that. Storm got up and left the room, saying that this was between Jasey and I, Logan had stayed with us though. "You can't be serious," He said through gritted teeth and narrowed his eyes on her. "You can't ask your sister to kill you."

"I can't live without him, please," She buried her head into the blankets near the bed and sobbed, I looked over to Logan nervously. "I'm happy for you two, you'll be fine without me. Please just do this for me?"

"Jasey, I..." I struggled to find the right words. She lifted her head and pleaded with her eyes. I looked at Logan again, he shook his head. "I- I can't kill you. You're my sister. Don't ask me this." Her eyes moved to Logan, he sighed. I gasped, "You can't do this! She's my sister!"

"Anni, she's miserable," He bit his upper lip, it was obvious he wasn't even sure.

"You two would be saving my life. I'd rather be dead than this depressed." She ran her arm over her face to wipe away tears. I looked at the ceiling to try stopped the tears that were coming to my eyes. This wasn't an everyday 'eggs or toast' question. This was the rare 'death or depression' question. I couldn't kill her. I knew that, if anyone would kill her, it had to be Logan. I would not bare the guilt of knowing that my sister died because of my hands. Jasey knew this, so she just asked Logan. "I won't be angry. I swear, and nobody else would be."

"Well it isn't that fucking easy to be angry when you're dead," I shouted at her and let go of her hand, "You two can have your little pity party or whatever the fuck you want to call this, but I won't allow you to die!" I shoved Jasey away from the bed and got off of it, walking quickly out of the room and slamming the door behind me. A painting that was hung up near the door fell to the floor. Jasey stopped me in my place, I couldn't move as hard as I tried. "Let me go, Jasey!" I cried and tried to move my head, but she even had control over that. Logan followed quickly behind her.

"We can give her the cure," He explained, I had to listen, there wasn't much else I could do. "I could..." He looked uncomfortable as he said this, "Finish the job. You won't have to be there."

"Just listen to him, Anni."

"I can't let you die, Jasey! We made a promise, remember? We were going to protect each other, and now you're asking me to kill you because your boyfriend died?" Suddenly she let her hold go and I cringed at what I had just said, as did she. The three of us stood in silence, my mind working it's hardest to decide. She obviously wasn't happy, when she smiled her eyes didn't have the same expression in them. When she laughed it was bland and sounded somewhat robotic, practiced. I felt like I was choking. "Alright. You do it, Logan. I want nothing of it."

I didn't leave my room the next day. Or the day after that, the day after that one. My eyes were nearly swollen shut from crying so much, my cheeks burned from the tears. My hair was greasy and tangled, my clothes stunk of a week without a shower. My sister wasn't gone for a short while this time. She wouldn't be rescued from her grave six feet under the ground, buried right next to Scott. I'd never hear her voice again or see her ice blue eyes again. I was reliant on the child I was going to have now. I wanted to take care of myself, but without my sister I felt helpless. I felt dead. I was breathing and always hungry, my body still worked. But I felt if Jasey couldn't eat, why should I? If Jasey couldn't shower, why should I?

It wasn't until Logan laid down next to me and talked about our future child did I cheer up. "She'll look just like you, just like Jasey," He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around me, "She'll have our stubborn attitude and our sense of humor. Your smile, maybe my amazing hair. She's going to be the most spoiled kid in the world, that's for sure."

"You swear?" I managed to croak, looking away from the closed drapes to his eyes. He nodded and planted a kiss on my forehead, my eyes filled up with tears this time, but not tears of sorrow. Yes, my sister, my dear sister, was no longer here with me. But I had learned from the X-Men. She would have never been happy if she stayed here with us, what Logan had done was for her best. And now it was time to move on. With one death came one life, right? And who knew, maybe our baby would fill the void that the loss of my sister had caused.
♠ ♠ ♠
=l