They Knew It Was Over

So lost without you

So close, when she closes her eyes I fall asleep …

They didn’t know. Nobody did.
To everyone else they were a picture perfect couple.
But behind the fake smiles and pretend lovingness there were nothing but fighting and misunderstandings.
Yes they fought constantly. But Alex Suarez and Phoebe Smith were in love.
So much in love that it became almost unbearable.
He was always on tour with his band, Cobra Starship, and when he had a couple of days between, she was doing some photo shoot.
They never had a chance to be together in the same room.

The rain was pouring as if God Himself was crying. On a busy New York street so many cars were going fast. Always in a hurry.

“Alex, slow down,” she said in fear.

She was afraid of him, of his actions. She never saw him like this. Sure, they fought before but never like this.

“You are cheap backstabbing whore. I can’t believe you!” he yelled. After being on tour for 3 months, he was eager to come home, to be with the woman he loved. But something deep inside made him feel uneasy.

“No Alex. It’s not what it looks like,” she pleaded.

“It looks like a cheating to me. What did you think? That I would never find out? That I was just a safe fuck to you? Tell me what does it look like Phoebe? Please tell me.” He grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her closer to him. She felt his hot breath on his face.

“It’s not what it looks like,” she repeated, only this time her voice was more like a whisper.


“Alex, please.”

He ignored her pleading and just speed up. His knuckles were white. Just one glance at her, at her tear stained face, made his heart beating faster. He loved her, but he just couldn’t get over her infidelity.

“Alex.” Her voice was barely audible.

“I love you,” Phoebe said to her long time boyfriend. “I’m afraid that you’ll find some girl on tour that’s prettier than me. And you’ll forget about me, and you’ll stay with her, and you’re gonna tell her ‘I love you’ all the time, and I’ll be home alone waiting for you. Alone.” By the time she finished her rambling, tears were falling from her eyes.

Her rambling made Alex smile.

“I will never leave you baby girl. I love you too much,” he wiped her tears with his thumbs and kissed her lips tenderly.

She wrapped her arms around his neck.


That was the last time he told her he loved her. And she feared she will never hear it again.

The rain made car driving difficult. The roads were wet and slippery. The sound of wheel brakes squealing was the last thing they both heard before everything turned black.

Alex was the first one to open his eyes. Rain was still falling hard. He looked around him, scared. There she was. Lying there, not moving. He ran out as fast as he could and got to her side.

“Phoebe? Please baby girl, wake up. Please.” He put her head in his lap, crying uncontrollably.

“Please baby. I’m sorry. Please wake up.” However, she didn’t moved. Not a single muscle. Nothing.

The ambulance came, taking her away on a gurney. He was sitting by her side all the way to the hospital.

“You’re gonna be fine, you’ll see Pheebs. You’re gonna be fine,” he was convincing himself rather that believing the words he was saying.

“Phoebe? Phoebe where are you?” he said entering their apartment. The smell of home made him happy.

“I’m in the bedroom,” she said. At the sound of her voice, he smiled. And ran at the direction of bedroom.

She sat in the big chair, with her glasses reading a book, wearing his shirt. At just one look at him, she dropped her book and jumped in his arms.

“God I’ve missed you,” he said in between kisses. She giggled when his hands grabbed her by the butt.

“I missed you too,” she kissed him back, tangling her fingers into his hair.

He walked her to the bed and gently laid her down. She was beautiful. And she was all his. He reattached their lips once again in passion heated kiss. She moved her hands down to the bottom of his shirt, pulling it up. He raised his head for a moment just enough to make her pout. She sat up, removing her shirt as well and pulled him down. His cold hands left a trail of goose bumps on her skin. Soon enough his pants were gone.

They moved together in same rhythm, both moaning and groaning.

As she laid in his arms, he thought to himself how lucky he was.


But now that was all gone. One stupid mistake erased everything they tried to build. One mishap.

He couldn’t help but to feel responsible for what happened. He hated himself. And when her heart stopped beating he couldn’t take it anymore. He cried her name out. With every tear, a piece of his heart was falling apart.

The paramedics and doctors gather around her.

“Clear,” one of the doctors yelled. Nothing. Her heart wasn’t beating.

“Clear.” Once again.

“Clear.” A faint sound indicated her heartbeat.

Alex looked up from his position in the corner. A smile crept in the corners of his lips. She was alive.

Sharply she inhaled the air around her, opening her eyes. She looked around her. Doctors and nurses smiling. She saw tubes coming from her arms.

“Alex!” she yelled getting up. But doctor pushed her back down.

“Alex,” she cried out his name.

“I’m sorry Miss but he didn’t make it,” doctor said.

“What do you mean? I’m right here. Look at me. Phoebe look at me.” Her eyes were full of tears.

He was gone and she’ll never hear him say those words to her.

“I love you,” he whispered before white light surrounded him and he disappeared.

She heard a faint ‘I love you’ before she closed her eyes, never to open them again.

So close, when she closes her eyes I fall asleep …
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always appreciated