Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

This Sucks

Alex

"Hey," I grin and give a nod to some more friends, entering Jack's house.

"Alex!"

"Jack," I sigh as he wraps his long wiry arms around me- again. "Dude, please," I laugh, pulling the leach off me. "That's enough."

"It's never enough. You have no idea how awful it was without you here. Zack kept trying to eat all the marshmallows!"

Zack hears as he strolls over. "You nimrod, that was you! Hey man," and we punch fists when he turns to me. "Long time no see."

"It was only a week," I remind him.

"Yeah, but it was also a week with just Jack," he reminds me meaningfully. "You're the only who remembers to hide the marshmallows and beer."

"Nah, you're all just lazy," I roll my eyes, looking around. "Where's Liz?" I ask. "Didn't she come?"

"Yeah," he scratches his head. "Somewhere. Anywhere. You know my parties," he grins. "Too many people who we've never met come and party with us."

"With equally bad music," I retort.

"Aw, they're a classic," he complains.

I shake my head, rolling my eyes. "Keep dreaming, man. Later- I'm going to go find Liz..."

It takes me a while, scavenging around the house. I get trapped a few times with people I know, and others... I have no idea who they are. I just know most of them drank a little too much already. Ha. My plans though, tonight, pretty much match 'em. I grab a full cup and keep looking around, asking some of my other friends.

"Yeah, she's out on the porch, playing some new beer game."

"Thanks," I call, waving a hand in the air and stroll out, to see about eight people, circled round three dice and twelve cups of beer. Behind, on the porch swing, is Liz... with someone else? I blink. "Liz?" I ask uncertainly.

Her curly blond hair whips around with her face, and it's really her. Her eyes widen. "Alex." She scrambles off the guy, whispering in his ear, and steps over. "Good to see you again," she smiles but it's got no warmth.

I frown. "So... why were you making out with him?"

She blinks innocently. "Oh, Jared? Right, I didn't tell you... we're over," she smiles.

I blink, stepping back. "What? B-but Liz, we were just... after... after everything? When did this even happen? Were you going to tell me before? How long have you been with that guy? I was only gone for a week!"

"Yeah," she sighs, uncaring. It seems so unlike the funny, happy Liz I'd seriously fallen for. "Well, I met Jared at the club last week, and things just... flew off. Plus, he's a better kisser. Things... just didn't work out for us, you know?"

"Last week? You mean you got with him the moment I left? Didn't we mean something?!" I ask, unable to believe it.

"Hey," the guy, 'Jared' steps over and slings an arm around Liz. "Something wrong here?" He asks menacingly.

Please, this wimp's still in High School, I bet- heck, he's wearing his school jacket. I glare. "Yeah, actually, there is."

"Alex," Liz whines.

"You're Alex?" Jared steps back with a smirk. "Well, snooze you lose."

"I could say that for you," I snap and dropping my cup which falls on Liz, I fling a fist in Jared's face, catching him by surprise. He grunts, falling a little, but goes to swing. I push it aside and get him in the stomach.

He bends over, groaning, then takes me in the gut, both of us falling off the porch onto the grass. We wrestle for a few minutes, until I'm on top and give him one last good punch before rollling off, spitting in the grass and standing.

"Just get out," I pant. "You're not worth anything more. Get out, and stay out." I glare at Liz as she hurries down, cuddling Jared. The couple glares at me and leaves. I trudge back in, wiping the blood off my nose.

"Dude, what happened? Run into the floor?" Jack asks merrily.

"I'm out," I inform him. "I need some better beer. Something stronger."

His face lights up. "I thought you'd never say that. I know just the place! Let's go!" He yanks my arm and we head off into the night.