Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Cheetohs

Bailey

I raise my eyebrow. “I hope you’re trying to be funny. Even though you aren’t. And adopting a pet is serious. You don’t just figure you’ll do it. Animals need time, care, love, support, and they have financial needs. It’s like having a little kid who’ll never leave for college or school. They need somebody with them all the time.” I say pointedly.

He leans forward. “I see that you’re passionate about them.”

I lean back. “So?” I ask guardedly. “By the way, you can leave now.”

He shakes his head. “No. I was serious as a heart attack, honey. I want to get a doggie!”

I give him a look. “I honestly don’t think you’re mature enough. Leave, now.”

A door opens and I glance back, seeing Mrs. Beckman, the boss, hands on her hips. “Ms Daniels, if he wants to adopt a dog, he can adopt a dog. We need the business and we do not put our personal lives in the way of work,” she reminds me.

“But-” I start to protest.

“No buts,” she warns me. “Now go help him make a selection.”

I groan and turning back a little, I see that he’s beaming and grinning at me. Huffing, I grumble. “Fine, I’ll be with you in a minute. But I have to put Charles back in his kennel.” I leave immediately, getting Charles back in his little home, and sighing, I return to Alex, putting my scarf back on to keep my neck warm. “Let’s go,” I say deadpanned.

“Where?”

“To look at the dogs,” I tell him, rolling my eyes and without looking back, I start walking.

Alex catches up and instead of just trailing behind, he hums merrily and walks really, reallllly close to me. Like if I even paused, his walking would falter and he’d bump into me immediately. Which made me get a little paranoid. Not like I could do anything about it, though.

“So,” he decides its time for conversation. “I didn’t know you worked here.”

“Of course not.”

“How long?”

“A few years.”

“Cool… so you have two jobs, then?”

“Three,” I say dryly and open the door for him.

“Oh, no,” he shakes his head. “Ladies first.”

“You’re the only I see,” I smirk.

“Then you haven’t looked in a mirror yet, hon,” he smiles innocently and slightly pushes me through the door, coming in after.

I shrug off the sudden odd feeling and shift back a little. “So, um. Here we are. The kennels. They aren’t in any order, but they do have little information cards. Are there any specifications you want for your dog?”

“Uh… someone goofy?”

A sudden thought comes to mind and I can’t help but grin at the memory. “You can go see Georgie, then.” I walk down a few, seeing the familiar faces until I reach Georgie. “Ratshi terrier, ten months old, perfect health. He’s addicted to Cheetohs, loves getting stuck in couch cushions, barks at birds only, chews on cell phones and he loves being tossed a rubber chicken.”

“You seem to know him pretty well.”

“I suppose. I help out a lot in this section. But the past owners- four, might I add- all complain about the same things. So it’s not that hard to remember after a while,” I shrug.

“Cute,” he mutters and bends down. “Hi, little guy,” he cooes. Georgie comes forward, cocking his head. He whines a little and scratches at the post. My heart immediately goes out to the little guys. I’d have easily adopted him and several others, but my condo doesn’t allow pets. “Bails? Can I…?”

I scratch my head. “Usually we schedule meets, but sure. We’re not busy today.” I go grab a leash and keys, then go around the back to bring him out. “Hey, cutie,” I coo and wagging his tail, he comes forward. Chuckling, I put the leash on him and he starts running around, excited for more room. Smiling to myself, I bring him around, and take the two guys to a secluded area made for the meets, with a little fence.

Taking off the leash, I stand back up and watch Alex who watches Georgie. Georgie runs around, sniffing everything quickly.

[img=http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images18/RatshiTerrierSquishy8Months3.jpg] Georgie [/img]

Finally, Georgie’s done, but Alex obviously doesn’t know what to do. I wait another minute, but finally, I’m just sick of it. I groan. “Must I do it all?” I mutter under my breath, and then get on my knees. “Georgie, come. Come here,” I coo a little. The dog’s head perks and he trots over. “Good boy, good, good,” I mutter and I pick him up.

“Uh… hi, Georgie,” Alex offers when I step over.

“You’re stupid,” I tell him bluntly. “He’s a dog. He doesn’t understand words. He only understands the tones. He’s probably really confused at you right now- which isn’t always good. When they’re confused, they don’t care for you. And when you’re a stranger, he might retaliate. Therefore, idiot, be nice. Pet him.” I demand and put Georgie in his arms.

“Oh. Uh. Sure, right…” I step back and into the corner, crossing my arms and watching them.

After a minute, Alex catches on and starts stroking Georgie, who starts licking his hand. It tickles, and Alex chuckles. “Well aren’t you devious, little guy,” he snickers, holding the dog up. Georgie licks his face. “Whoa! Maybe I shouldn’t have had those cheetohs,” I hear him mutter to himself and I cover my mouth to hide the laugh.

Laugh… what?

I quickly push it aside and guardedly watch them. Alex puts the dog down and they start playing, as if they’re old friends. I stay in the corner, watching. Guess Alex actually is a natural- it just took a little for him to realize that. Sighing, I watch them with a slight smile, my heart fluttering.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
I was bored when I began to write this last week... but then it turned out right. :D cute doggie!!!

This to:::: drivingbackwards

who cares about double comments [or whatchamacall'em], so thanks for that comment!

Readers: 437
Subscribers: 84
Chapters: 27
Comments: 59

........... HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.........

ps. If anyone's interested in the JBros, read my story and the sequel ['She's An Underdog' & 'She Means The World To Me'] Cause I'm doing a banner contest! Maybe if this gets up to 100 subscribers, I'll do one here? [Winner gets a one-shot story for themself with whoever they want]