Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

So Thrilled

Alex

I watch her out of the corner of my eye, a little apprehensive. Worried, I guess. She’s just sort of… out of it. I’m not sure. I chew on my lip thoughtfully, wondering if I should try talking to her. She just seems… I can’t think of the right words. Nervous, maybe? But why?

Holy crap she’s pregnant!

Deep breath, deep breath!

I feel her eyes suddenly on me, and she’s giving me a weird look. I gulp and don’t look at her, in case something comes up. I mean, that’s ridiculous, right? It’s not like we did anything… and she wouldn’t have… erm…. I hope, anyways.

Moving on, ehm.

My mind starts wandering as we keep driving, and I open my mouth, hoping to say something moderately smart, when my phone starts going off. I mutter to myself, and start feeling around my pockets for the electronic.

“Here,” she mutters, picking it off the ground.

“Could you answer?” I ask, glancing at her. “I’d prefer not to be caught driving and talking on the phone- again,” I roll my eyes at the last word.

She hesitates, but complies. Slowly she flips the phone open and tentatively presses it to her ear. “Hello?” Bay waits a minute. “Um, yeah, it is. No- he’s driving. Me? I- I’m Bailey. What? No!” She suddenly says quickly. “It’s not like that, really. We just- umm… he can explain it, I’m sure. Okay? … Oh? Um, yeah, yeah, of course…”

Swallowing, she puts the phone down for a minute and turns to me apprehensively. “Um, it’s your parents.”

Crud.

I clear my throat uneasily. “Oh, uh, right… fine, here,” I sigh, and put my hand out for the phone. She hands it over quickly as though it’s a disease and I put my phone to my ear. “Hey, mum.”

“Alexander! Why is a girl answering your phone? You know I hate it when you do that!”

“It was once, mom,” I whine. “Could you please get over it? She’s gone, too, okay?”

“Oh, that’s not her?”

“No, this is Bailey, mom. That was… oh, who cares. No one. But this is Bailey.”

“Mhm.”

“What does that mean?” I frown, pausing at the red light. “Mom, I hate when you say that! What are you trying to say?”

“Me, not saying? Gee, Alex, what about you, hon? I read the papers, you know. How does the entire world know, I ask you, that my son is married, and I don’t?!”

Oh.

I chuckle uneasily. “Uh, yeah, see… I uh, I was meaning to call you, honestly. But I guess… you know, I got caught up. And stuff. And the band’s in the studio again, soo…”

“Honeymoon? Did you two go on a honeymoon? Please tell me this wasn’t a Vegas wedding, dear, please.” Well, at least she’s sounding calmer. And where’s dad, I wonder? Must be watching TV or something near by…

“No, of course not,” I roll my eyes.

“So you knew her for more than a night when you got married?

Silence.

“Alexander William Gaskarth!”

I moan, slumping in my seat. “Mommy,” I start whining.

She sighs. “Well, she did sound sweet. Are you guys still together? How is it working? Does she like you?”

I swear, she’s bipolar or something. “Yeah, cool… but uh, yeah. She moved in with me, so it’s not too bad. And we got a dog! As for the last…” I glance at her. Bailey’s opened her side window and her head is partly out, resting on her arm, and she’s looking up to the stars silently, in her own little world. The wind is blowing her dark hair from her face just perfectly… “I hope so, ma. I really hope so,” I sigh.

“Good! Perfect! So, how about you two come up this following weekend? You can’t possibly have anything planned, and I have to meet my new daughter-in-law!”

“Did dad agree?” I try my last lifeline.

“Yes! We’re both so thrilled!”

I roll my eyes. “I’ll talk to her and see if that’s okay. I’ll call tomorrow, okay? Night, mom. Love you.”

“Love you!” And she’s gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
dum de dummmmmmmmmmm. COMMENT, my loverly silent readers. Please? :D It makes me update faster!
oh, and sorry to those who wanted to see the big idea and all that... won't be coming for a little while. sorry!