Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Really, It's Nothing

Alex

“Hey, mommy,” I grin, opening my arms as she pulls me into a hug. “Been a while, huh?”

“You haven’t called for the longest time, I’ve been so worried,” she tells me.

I suppress the urge to roll my eyes. “Yeah, yeah. Okay, then.” I grin and hug my dad, too- but more manly, of course. Looking around, I spot Bailey. She’s biting her lip and tugging at her hair, trying not to glance at us but her eyes are naturally drawn over.

Sighing, I go over and gently push her lower back forwards. “So. Mom, dad- this is Bailey… my wife.” Those words sound so weird and if I were in a little bit of a better mood, I’d probably start laughing. “Bay, my parents.”

“H-hi,” she mutters haltingly. “Er- nice to um… meet you.”

My parents stare at her.

Awkward…

“Well, it’s just great to meet you,” mom pulls on a big smile. “If my son chose you, then you must be a great person!” And she wraps Bailey in a hug… which is obviously not Bay’s thing, from the looks of it.

Hm. Might have to fix that….

Dad gives her a polite hug, also. “Very nice to meet you. I’m Peter, by the way, and my wife Isabelle. I can’t wait to get to know you. Do you kids have any bags you need help with?”

“Well, she’s got two-” I start, pointing at her.

“I’m fine,” Bay gives a nod, putting her two bags on her shoulders. “See? Perfectly fine.”

“If you say so, dear,” mom manages a nervous smile and nod. “Peter, dear? Let’s get going.” The married couple takes hands and leads us out to the old family car, an old green Camry.

And we drive back to my house…

Wow. It’s been quite a while, I realize, stepping out with a slight frown.

Bailey comes out after me, looking at it with her head cocked. But I’m too wrapped up in memories. Some good, some bad. Soulfully I shake my head to myself and grab my bag. I glance at my parents, then politely take Bay’s hand.

“Come on,” I mutter. “I’ll take you inside.”

She opens her mouth to object but catches my glance towards my parents, and catches on. We’ve got to fake everything for them, too. She gives a small sigh but nods all the same and allows me to lead her inside.

“Kitchen,” I mutter. “Dining room. Family room’s right out there.” I point with my thumb, leading her through.

“Dears,” mom calls. “Alex, I fixed up your bedroom so you two can share.”

“What-” Bailey begins, a little ticked off.

“Quiet,” I mutter. “We’re married. We’re expected to share a room, okay?” And I continue dragging her upstairs.

Mom’s got a habit of keeping doors open all the time- except for one. My throat tightens as we pass it- involuntarily as does my hold on her wrist. “Ow, Alex!” She whines, trying to twist free.

“Oh, sorry,” I manage distracted, and we reach my bedroom. “Here.”

Dark walls with my old posters. Photographs of people and times of the past. My first guitar. Trophies from when I was a kid. My funky lamps and old school papers. But hey, it’s clean. Mom’s always like that.

“It’s… definitely you,” is the best compliment she can provide as she dumps her bags just inside the room. “And you’re sleeping on the floor,” she adds.

“Kids?” Dad calls near the stairs. “Your mom left you some barbeque chicken pizza, if you’re hungry. And flying always made you hungry, Alex, so we’ve got some old styled fries, too.”

My stomach growls as my mood immediately lightens. “Awesome, thanks, mom, dad,” I call. I pull off my hat and sunglasses, looking at Bailey. “Hungry?”

“I guess,” she mutters with a nod and shoving her hands in her pockets, she trots down the stairs after me and into the kitchen, where mom’s finishing the dishes, and dad’s reading the newspaper near by.

The table is set for two. I pull out Bailey’s chair and we begin eating in silence.

Soon mom’s pretty much done with cleaning the kitchen, but she doesn’t leave. “Well, you’re awfully tired,” she notes, looking at us. “Is something wrong?”

“Jetlag,” I offer.

She nods. “That must be it. Be sure to get some sleep, all right?”

I roll my eyes. “Thanks, mom.”

“But if you two are still down here,” she smiles and sits down. “I want to hear how it happened.”

“What happened?” I ask her blankly, my mouth full.

Bailey’s frozen, her fork filled with salad but she’s not really eating at the moment. But then, she doesn’t really eat that often when she’s still in an off mood. And mom might be doing something more…

“How you met,” mom says in an obvious tone. “How you two fell in love!”

“Don’t you think that might take a little long?” Dad offers, trying to help us.

I swallow. “Really, it’s nothing, mom.”

“Enough for you two to marry,” mom points out.

“Well, it was more of a-” Bailey starts to tell the truth, but I panic.

“A- a…” I think fast. “A whirlwind er, relationship. Right, Bailey?”

“Yeah, like one night,” she rolls her eyes, taking a drink of her water.

“You mean it felt like one night,” I pretend to correct her, and give her a hard look, trying to mentally tell her to stop talking. Then I give mom a sheepish smile. “That is, er… it was really just a few months, you know. We uh, fell pretty fast, after all.” I start racking my brain for ideas.

Bailey lets out a small sigh. “We met at a bar,” she begins and waves my hand away. “My friend’s birthday,” she adds, lying. I freeze, wondering what she’s saying myself. “Somehow we got stuck together cause we weren’t totally drunk. We hung out, exchanged numbers. He invited me to see a show, go backstage. I met the guys, we hung out. He visited me at work, he took me out, and we were together what,” she turns to me wearing an innocent look on her devious face, “nearly every day?” She turns back, smiling politely at my parents. “Then he proposed to me during a picnic on the beach, and I knew I couldn’t say no- and neither of us wanted to wait.”

My jaw practically falls and hits the floor.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
over 1000 readers and almost 200 subscribers!!! How awesome is that??? Keep subscribing and reading, please! This is awesome. :D

.... so, who sucks at lying? Anyone relaly good at it? Not that its a good thing... eurgh- sometimes I can and sometimes I'm jsut a fail.... or i'm being sarcastic. or somethign... LOL :D
comment pretty please!!!
like the picture.... thingy. heh you?