Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Too Personal

Bailey

“Bay? Bay! Where are you!” Comes a sobbing voice. “I miss you! Come back!”

“Jake?” My heart skips a beat as I look around the dark building. Shadows are created from the moonlight streaming through the windows. Any person would be horrified- as am I, but I’m used to these horrors. My heart continues to beat wildly but I have to mask it, hide it to keep from getting hurt, and from disappointing him. “Jake!”

“Bailey!” He cries. “Come back!”

My heart’s breaking, hearing his voice. Somehow, it’s like I know this can’t be happening, that he really is gone and dead- but somehow I know he isn’t. I don’t understand it nor can I describe it in anyway, except for one fact: I had to find him.

“Where are you?” I yell, desperately searching the place I know so well. Going around in the darkness, struggling not to touch anything while still looking for him. “Keep talking! I’ll find you! I’m going to save you!”

“Promise?” His little voice pleads. “Promise me, Bailey! Don’t leave me!”

“Never!” I shake my head, desperately. Time’s running out and his voice is fading. Silent tears trickle down as I keep running, my calves burning and my breath is short but I won’t give up- I can’t. I promised him!

“Please,” he pleads. “Save me! Bailey, you have to save me!”

I sniff, taking the stairs two by two, wincing as my side starts to burn. But I have to ignore it- I’d do anything for him. “Keep talking, don’t give up,” I plead. “I’m almost there. Just hang on!”

“I can’t,” he sniffles and there, I see him, standing in the room at the end of the hall. I swallow hard, almost unable to believe it. I had found him! I bite my lip, trying to keep down a smile as I start running to him.

“I’m here!” I call.

“Bay?” He questions, confused, and from the distance, his eyes are black, like he’s blind. I try to stifle a sudden sob as his arms reach out for me. “There’s not much time,” he says faintly. “You promised you’d save me. You promised.”

“I will!” I scream, but the hall’s not getting any shorter. If any, its getting longer. The moon is behind him in the window and I just see his sillouhete now. Then, just as I think I’m getting closer, another shadow arrives and I freeze, horrified.

“So good to see you,” he smiles a sick smile.

“No,” I whisper.

He nods, grinning. “You’re too late.”

“No!” I scream, falling to my knees. My hands fall into fists, banging on the floor, wishing it were him. If only, if only he weren’t here!

Jake starts sobbing. “No, Bailey, no. You promised! You promised me you’d save me!”

But the tall man starts laughing as I keep banging the ground, unable to move farther- unable to save him. “I promised you, I can’t-”

“Bailey!”


I gasp, my eyes flying open in the dim light. I’m covered in a cold sweat, my hair clinging to my neck and face. Blinking, I realize that I’m staring into Alex’s wide eyes, and he’s holding firmly onto my wrists, in which my hands are formed into fists, just like mydream nightmare.

My chin quivers and I swallow hard and take a deep breath, trying to calm my beating heart. It was just a dream. It’s really all over, just another nightmare.

“Bailey?” He asks cautiously- worried?

Swallowing again, I bring my gaze level to his, my chin up. “You can let go of me now,” I manage in a soft, calm tone.

He frowns. “No, Bay. Tell me what happened. It was a nightmare, wasn’t it?”

“It’s nothing,” I spit at him, angry. “It’s none of your business, it never is! These nightmares are nothing, so just leave me alone and stop being so nosy!”

“These nightmares?” He echoes. “You mean these happen often?”

Gritting my teeth, I look away, furious. He’s just so nosy! This isn’t something that needs to include him. It’s too personal and he doesn’t need to know. Gosh, Alex is just- he’s just so infuriating! “Get off,” I manage.

“Bailey,” he says in a warning voice. “This is something you need to talk about, okay? It’ll help, and they might go away. What did you promise him? It’s Jake, isn’t it? Do you dream about his death? That you couldn’t save him?” He presses.

Dangerous ground, mister! With an angry cry, I shove him off of me and race into the bathroom, locking it. “Just- just go away!” I manage, sliding down against the door, and holding my head in my hands. “Just leave me alone!”

“Bailey!” He uses the tone as before.

“I hate you!” I hit the door. “Go away!” Shaking slightly, I take a deep breath, struggling for air and ducking my head in misery. I pause for a minute, and then hear as Alex sighs and trudges out of the room. Thence I breathe a heavy sigh of relief, being alone. Wrapping my arms around myself, I lean my head back, closing my eyes.

I’m so sorry, Jake. I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault.

If only I had been fast enough, you’d be alive.

We’d be together, and safe, and everything…

I’m so sorry, little brother. I’m so sorry.


Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Dang it.

I was wrong again.

ONE more chapter to post. lucky readers!