Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

After A Bow

Bailey

“Now Bailey, aren’t you going to change? We leave in ten minutes,” Alex’s mum adds in a motherly tone from the doorway. I peak up from the book I’ve been reading- something on Alex’s shelf that’s probably never been touched.

“Change?” I look down at my clothes. “No, I’m good.”

“Bailey,” she says in a warning tone.

I frown and sighing, I sit up on the bed, going Indian style. “It’s fine, it’s just a picnic,” I remind her. “It’s not like anything big. And these are comfortable.”

She gives me a strict look. “I’m sure Alex would much appreciate it if you could wear something nicer. Goodness me, didn’t you bring anything besides those horrid pants with holes and everything?” She wrinkles her nose then steps in and begins going through everything.

My mouth hangs open, stunned at this lady. Who does she think she is? Going through my belongings while I sit before her, and she never asks? How rude! Obnoxious and crazy and why hasn’t anyone stopped her ever?

“Here we go,” she finally cries triumphantly.

“Hey, we’re ready to-” Alex cuts off and leans against the door, hands in his pockets. He’s wearing a casual maroon t-shirt with a black vest, baggy worn jeans, sneakers, and a beanie over hisperfect hair. I have to mentally slap myself to stop any oncoming… ‘cute’ or ‘romantic’ or other such thoughts.

Cause I don’t have them. They don’t exist. At all. Ever.

“Soo…” Alex’sangelic voice interrupts my annoying thoughts. “Why are you holding a dress, ma? Is that yours, Bay?”

“Unfortunately,” I mutter under my breath.

“Stop complaining,” Alex’s mom demands and tosses it at me. “Now go put it on, we’re late enough as it is.”

“It’s like four in the afternoon,” I roll my eyes. Grudgingly with two fingers, I cautiously pick up the folds of fabric. “This isn’t mi-” I begin and then it looks familiar and I glare hard at it. I’m going to kill you when I get home, Missy, I swear. I told you not to even ever tell people I tried it on once…

“Something wrong?” Alex’s mom says.

“Yes. I don’t like dresses.”

“Well, Alex does, so go put it on.”

“I don’t care about im-” I bite myself off seeing Alex’s jerked movements, trying to calm me down. But I still give him a hard look, sending him mental images of him crawling around in lots and lots of pain. I think he catches on.

“You’re right,” Alex pipes up after a second. “Well, I do like dresses… but that, I think, deserves some jeans, or maybe some leggings.”

His mom wrinkles her nose and starts fussing how it’s so unladylike. That gets me really tempted to tell her where she could shove all her prissy thoughts, but Alex must still be catching my train of thought and taking me by my shoulders, pushes me into the bathroom with a pair of leggings.

Pretty much trapped in the bathroom, I stare at the clothes and contemplate jumping out the window and escaping them for good. But then again, I’m on the other side of the country… and it’s only for a few hours, right? Except that I really hate dresses- well unless it’s to a club or something. Then it’s not too bad…

Inwardly groaning, I start shuffling around slowly pull on the dress and leggings. Finished changing, I peak out the door and find Alex’s mom gone- thank goodness, because I’m really ready to just slap her upside the head or something. However, I find that Alex is still there, slumped on the edge of his bed and fumbling with his hat in his hands.

“I- I’m done,” I offer awkwardly, shrugging my shoulders a little. My hands fumble with my clothes and seem to start shaking, so I hurriedly toss my clothes aside and start twisting them myself.

Alex looks up at my voice and he starts grinning as he looks me up and down. “You should wear a dress more often,” he comments.

My hand starts to come up to fiddle with my hair, but I hurriedly push it back down cause I curled it just an hour ago, and try not to seem or act nervous. “Oh?” I struggle to speak without stuttering as my heart thuds a little louder than normal and I try to control it. Trying to distract myself, I start walking around, collecting some jewelry and then I find my shoes.

“Well,” he drawls, “because then it’s harder to do this.”

I’m crouched over my duffle bag, putting some things back inside, and hear his foot steps pause right behind me. Confused, somewhat excited, and curious I turn around, frowning slightly and stand to see what he’s talking about.

Alex grins and brings his finger up to raise my chin, and our eyes meet. I can’t help but to take a small intake of breath as I can’t help but be pulled into his gaze. His fingers fall to touch mine so carefully it almost tickles. Then slowly his fingers trail up both of my arms, like a little dance and sending delightful shivers down my spine.

The dress has small straps and eventually his fingers trail upon my bare shoulders, and he begins tracing small circles on my skin. His left hand falls upon my neck and then cups the side of my cheek, as his right hand gently touches my turquoise beads and begins trailing his fingers along them across my neck.

I manage to speak after a minute, with him leaving his warm hands upon my cool flesh. “How- how is it harder… to do this when I’m- I’m not wearing a dress?” I mumble, feeling slightly pathetic.

His eyes continue to search mine and a little grin falls upon his careful lips. “Well, Bailey dear, you always look more like an angel when you wear a dress, you’re more delicate, and graceful… everything more.”

The butterflies in my stomach begin flying again, and slowly as the moment takes us, we close our eyes, both of his hands cup my cheeks- but just as we’re about to meet, our little moment is ruined by Mrs. Gaskarth banging on the door.

“Aren’t you kids ready to go? We’re late!”

Alex sighs. “In a minute.” And leans his forehead against mine, our eyes meeting but no longer in the trance like before. I search his eyes, trying to look for clues or some sort of hint about what he’s thinking. It’s so hard for me to figure other people out, especially Alex. Sometimes it’s obvious, but- it worries me, not knowing his thoughts I suppose. For all I know, he’s just using me and doesn’t mean a thing. It scares me.

Then again, when I really look in his eyes, I find a- a light, or something. Absently biting my bottom lip, I search his eyes and know that he did mean what he said. That he believes we are something- friends, at least.

“Guess we should go,” I clear my throat and duck my head, pulling away nervously. It scares me, okay? I mean- what if he finds someone else- then he’d just leave and I wouldn’t matter. Or- or what if I never felt what… well, I might think I do now, but that doesn’t mean anything! I rub my temples, trying to focus and pick up my coat and turn shyly back to Alex. “So?”

I’m not quite sure why I said that, nor am I sure of what the answer is. Well, maybe Alex didn’t either. He shrugs merrily and after a bow, he offers me his arm. I can’t help but to put a small smile on my lips and take his arm. Carefully he directs us down the stairs and out to the back of his parents car.

Well, tonight should be… something.
♠ ♠ ♠
.......
:(
I lost a subscriber.....

the dress