Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

We Weren't Planning

Alex

I puff up my cheeks with air, and then slowly let it out. And again. And again. My fingers tap out some songs on my knee as I look out the window, trying not to be so jittery… but I can’t help it.

Breathe in, breathe out.

“-now Holly, would you turn me on?-”

“Oh, turn it up!” I grin, slapping the seat. “Turn it up!”

Mom scoffs and turns the radio off making me groan. “I think you’re conceited enough, Alex, dear,” she smiles at me wryly, glancing back. “Now why don’t the two of you chat or something?”

Bay and I share a side glance of doubt. “About what?” I ask for us blankly.

“Hm, well, the wedding’s working out…oh!” Mom turns in her seat to beam at the two of us. “I’m looking forward to many grandchildren. How many were you thinking? At least four, dear? I really do think four is a good number. Shame we didn’t have any more children, it would have been so dear. Oh, you could come and visit every summer, bringing the dear children,” she cooes.

I chance a glance at Bay, whose cheeks are burning and she starts slinking in her seat like she’s trying to melt away and disappear. I slump, too, wishing the same would happen for me. Funny as it is… well, that’s just embarrassing.

“Now,” mom continues as if there’s nothing wrong with chatting about this- and in the rearview mirror, I can see my dad smirking like it’s a hilarious joke. Well, for him it probably is cause I did spend most of my youth, adamant about just enjoying my life without intentions of kids.

Which are cool, yeah. But, I mean… well, oooh, side tracking mind here…. Holy cheese, I can practically imagine me and Bailey with kids. I slap my forehead, trying to get the image out, because I know that the moment September arrives, she’ll be out of here like a flash. Or just disappear, something like that.

“Two boys and two girls would do it,” mom’s voice breaks in thoughtfully. “Yes, or maybe three girls, all right? Now, the name Cynthia was always sweet…” by now, she’s turned back to face the road and keeps rambling on.

Bay makes a face and glares at me, pretending to gag. I chuckle and agree. Mom keeps coming up with names like Samantha, Bernice, and the like, and we keep making horrified faces, until mom turns back suddenly when I’m making a face.

Why am I always the one caught, really?

“What do you think?” Mom offers, glancing at me and then at Bailey. “They will be yours, after all. But perhaps I’d like a say in their middle names, yes?”

“Uh, sure, uh… I guess?” Bailey offers, caught-off and slightly troubled.

“What other names have you thought of?”

“Well, I’d never thought of any,” Bailey tugs at her hair awkwardly. “Um, but… I do like the name Echo, and Melody’s always seemed kind of pretty, maybe…” Then she turns to me, silently egging me on to say something to get her out of this.

Rolling my eyes, I clear my throat. “Yeah, those are fun. I’m thinking along the lines of, say, Sunday and Jasey Rae, but it’s all good,” I grin as everyone rolls their eyes at me and shake their heads in mock disappointment.

“Boys?” Dad offers.

I glance at Bailey who looks a little ill. “Jake,” she mutters.

“What did you say? Speak louder,” mom reprimands her.

“She said Jake, ma. Jake and Daniel would be good names,” I add, glancing at Bailey who looks up, giving a slight inclination of a nod. “But,” I drawl, “we aren’t planning on kids anytime soon- like a few years, so could we move onto something less awkward? Bay’s blooming like a red tomato.”

“What!” Bay protests at the light laughter and slaps my arm. “That was not cool! Or true!”

“Whatever floats your boat, doll face,” I grin and wink at her.

She scowls, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms, turning to face the window for the rest of the ride. I shrug, cause I know she’s not really that mad… partially cause she keeps giving small side-glances at me when she thinks I’m not looking.

But boy, am I looking…
♠ ♠ ♠
Another one is finally out! Yay! lol :D
Thank you all for all of those wonderful messages! They all mean a lot and so THANK YOU BUNCHES!!! Love y'all! :D
And thanks for all the ideas that have been given! Um, it was about the first two comments that got me started and helped everything flow perfectly. The continued comments helped too, and I went over and added a little herre and there. Firstly, thanks Erinnnn.xo, she mostly thought of interrogation stuff...little more in the next chapter. I'd thank the other person, but i'll do it in the next chapter, you'll see why.

also i wasnt on forever cause my computer's internet keeps breaking down. very irritating! But its back up! for now...lol. And did I mention I got a job?
If anyone wants to go into Real Estate.... be prepared for a whole bunch of data entries and paper cuts! Lol- i come home with ten new ones [or thirteen once!] like every day. Just glad they don't always bleed! hehe.... :D