Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Special Reason

Bailey

Life sucks. Let’s just stick to that, huh? I trudge into my- erg, our- house, my feet like dead lead. Groaning, I open the door and fall on the couch, not bothering to take off my shoes.

First, at the café, apparently it’s summer now and kids need work, meaning they all got hired and I got kicked off cause I apparently don’t have team spirit. So then I try going to the animal shelter, except they’re closing down and don’t need my help, meaning no more paychecks. Plus I just found all our mail and the vintage clothing shop announced they won’t need me on-call anymore.

See? Told you. Life sucks.

I mean, what am I supposed to do now? Shaking my head, I slowly stand up, ignore Georgie running around in circles [not around me, but the table. Weird, much?] and go upstairs. Just as I reach the top of the stairs, my cell rings. I pause and open it.

“Meet me on Thames Street, I’ll take you out though I’m hardly worth your time,” I hear Alex singing to me without music, and then he finishes the chorus, slightly breathless.

I stare at my phone, stumped. “Uh… hello?”

“On your bed,” he says slightly breathless. “Oh, well under it- is a package. I’m kinda hoping that by five this evening, which is in two hours, you’ll be dressed up for an amazing evening.”

“Excuse me?”

“Bailey Daniels, will you please spend this evening with me?” He adds.

“Uh…” I try to think of some excuses, but I can’t. “Well, um… I- I s’pose,” I finally manage, trying not to wince.

“See you there, beautiful.” And he hangs up.

I stare at the phone, a little longer. But nothing really helps so I finally realize what else he said. Entering my room, I get on my knees and find this white box underneath. So I pull it out, set it on my bed, and nervously open it.

Stupid amazing person. Pulling away the tissue paper, there appears a smaller package on top, that I set aside as I look at the dress. Ignoring my shaking fingers, I bring it out. It’s long with an empire waistband, and strapless. Pretty simple, but it’s an amazing shade of purple with a dark tinge to it.

Setting it down, I look at the other contents. Black shawl, silver necklace, silver bracelet, pearl and black lace earrings and ring, plus a hair comb. Then under my bed I find another box, with purple heels. Observing them silently, I wonder why, and how, and what… it’s just amazing.

The time passes as I shower and work on my hair. My mind keeps wondering why I’m doing this. Yet… I don’t have an answer. But somehow, somewhere inside… I think I want to. I bite my lip, looking at myself in the mirror. I’ve curled it a little bit, and put up about half my hair, holding it up with the comb. Purple eyeliner with silver eye shadow, and my lashes look long and dark. It’s ten to five as I slowly pull on the dress, and somehow I’m not that surprised finding that it fits me just right. I slip on the jewelry and I’m just picking up the shawl and purse when I hear the front door open.

“Bailey?” Alex’s voice comes from downstairs, somewhat shy and nervous but strong enough. “Are you ready?”

“Coming,” I call when I find my voice. Then, taking a long and very deep breath, I open my door and step over to the stairs. I clutch the railing for support and begin the descent, holding onto part of my dress to keep from tripping.

Alex’s footsteps slowly move and just as I’m on the next to last step, he appears. His eyes widen as he looks up at me, somewhat in awe. I try to ignore the blush rising as I look at him. He’s found a suit- not even skinny jeans, for once- that fits him to perfection. But being him, the shirt’s not entirely tucked in and his tie that matches my purple dress is a bit loose. His hair is pretty straight, between messy and fixed. He’s wearing clean sneakers beneath and I can smell a delicious cologne wrapped around him.

“You look amazing,” he says finally, looking me in the eye.

My breath catches as I descend the last two steps- he takes my hand to help me. “You clean up pretty well yourself,” I offer, feeling shy. My heart starts hammering, but I let it go, along with the butterflies. Maybe... Maybe just tonight, I can let myself go a little, I think?

“Ready, doll?” He offers his arm. I take another deep breath and nod, slipping my arm carefully into his.

And so he leads me into the cab carefully, and the first few minutes are in a comfortable silence as we sit together. Finally, though, I have to ask. “So where are we going?” I offer.

“On a romantic getaway,” he answers cheerfully. “But I’m not saying more than that.” It makes me frown a bit, so he hurriedly tries to turn the subject to something else. “So how was your day?”

Not the right question. I sigh, leaning back a little on the seat. “Well, I learned that you can get fired from three jobs in just one day.”

“Ouch,” he winces. “I’m sorry, Bailey. But I know you’ll figure something out,” he adds after a minute, taking one of my hands. “You always do. It’ll be fine after a while.”

I shrug a little and brush a little bit of hair from my eyes. “It’s no matter. How was your day, then? I heard you had a performance somewhere?” I scrunch my nose a little, trying to think. Alex chuckles, tapping my nose, and then he starts talking about his day and everything. Somehow we just keep talking until I find that the cab has stopped.

I peak through the windows, but Alex quickly helps me out so I have to wait a moment. Then when I do look around, I feel a little confused at where we are. It’s the bay. The ocean breeze comes whipping by, probably messing my hair, as we get a strong whiff of the salt water. But it does look pretty, I have to say. The sun hasn’t quite set, but it’s getting there.

Smiling somewhat to himself, Alex kindly takes my hand and leads me along where just ahead, is a small cruise ship. I pause before it with a small gasp. Already on the other deck, I can see tables set up everywhere with candles lighting the tables. “Alex…” I begin breathlessly.

“Come on,” he whispers in my ear, and leads me onto the ocean, where we go to the top. There I finally put on the shrug, seeing why I obviously have it now. Our seats are found and he pulls out the chair for me. I mutter a thanks and he sits down.

“So… is there a special reason we’re doing this?” I ask him.

“Hm? Oh! No, no,” he shakes his head quickly. “Not really, I just…” he shrugs and looks me in the eye. “I wanted to find a night to spend just with you, you know? We’ve got our own jobs going around, everything’s always crazy. So… I wanted to spend an evening with you. Is that okay?” He adds. “I don’t know if you get sea sick, but Missy said…”

I shake my head. “It’s fine. It- all of this,” I raise my hand to show everything. “It’s absolutely beautiful, Alex. The dress, tonight, this dinner… everything.”
♠ ♠ ♠
her outfit and everything: Image
annd kinda the look of the table and such