Nothing's Fair in Love and War

If Only Love had a Meaning

“Wake up, Madam; it’s nice out, perfect for your mid-afternoon walk.” The maid chirruped. Katherine slipped gently out of bed and waited for her maid to begin dressing her. Her makeup and clothing were soon perfected and her mother came bustling in.

“Come now, Katherine. We will go and meet your Fiancé.” Katherine’s eyes widened and she sighed in contempt. Her only thought being ‘so be it.’ They walked down to the front steps of their large manor; her eyes glazing over as she looked down the cobbled roads and saw the adobe tiled roof of her loved one. “Katherine!” Her mother’s voice sounded strangled by annoyance as her eyes slowly met hers. She stepped onto the carriage and watched the houses move by slowly at every trotting step of the horses. Soon the horses stopped and they disembarked the carriage. “Morning to you, Sir Ericson!” Katherine’s mother called out to the black silhouette on the bow.

“Ah, greetings, Madam Russo. How be you?” He laughed merrily. Katherine stared up awkwardly at the man, craning her neck for a simple glimpse. Sighing at her failed attempt, she followed her mother aboard the vassal and began to cave in to the impending depression at the thought of marriage. “This must be your daughter, lovely as expected.” The man’s hand enveloped hers as he bent down and grazed his chapped lips against the pale skin. A boy her age came trotting up from below deck, his tanned skin and dark blue eyes fixated on the man who held her hand delicately in his. “Ah, my son! This is Katherine, your future wife.” Sir Ericson laughed, gesturing his son to come forth to greet her.

“Mark Ericson, pleasure to meet you.” Markus gave a slight bow as they made eye contact and she followed suit answering with a small curtsy. In all honesty he seemed a kind man, one who wouldn’t harm a soul intentionally- Katherine only wished she could say the same for his son. The humor that glittered in Sir Ericson’s eyes was met with angry, yet lustful eyes. But lustful for what, was something she could not easily answer. They sat on deck, sipping their foreign tea, a simple extravagance for traders like them.

“Madam, it is time for your annual walk.” Katherine’s maid almost quivered in fear as she stepped forward to whisper it lightly in her ear. Her mother’s disdainful look seemed to burn at her very skin as she excused herself from the tea table.

“My apologies, Sir Ericson,” Katherine gave a small curtsy, before turning back to Mark, “Mark.” She nodded as she left the ship from the small bridge onto firm ground. She stepped onto the stone roads, her palm outstretched to her maid. “My umbrella, Winifred, if you would be so kind?”

“Yes, Madam.” The small satin umbrella unfurled and she twirled it lightly in her hands before resting it on her delicate shoulders. The squawking of seagulls was loud and clear as they walked along the boardwalk, staring out to sea, the beautiful blue that matched her eyes. Surprisingly Mark sat on one of the many stands that held the ropes for the ships- flipping a golden coin in one hand.

“You know, Katherine- your relationship isn’t too big of a secret.” The mischievous smirk that played out on his face as he said those words sucked the color from her face. “Then again, what other reason would your mother put you through marriage at the prime of your life?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Katherine huffed.

“Oh don’t play games with me Katherine, not now. Maybe during our honey moon, but that is very much another day.” His low chuckled seemed wrong in so many ways; the way he eyed her, would end up in her nightmares; the slow whistle that came through his parted lips sent chills down her spine. “Isn’t this impeccable timing though? Your lover is gone, no one to fight for you. A perfect time to get the perfect catch.” He slipped off his pedestal, grinning from his sick joke. He walked with an almost beastly swagger, his eyes glittering like a predator at supper. “My own little sheep, my pretty little defenseless sheep.” He slid his fingers down her cheek, hissing those simple words that made her tremble in fear.

“Why?” The word came out painfully, cracking. “Why would you do this if you knew?”

“I like knowing I can I have everything, so long as it pleases me nothing matters.” Her maid was glancing at us curiously, watching from her spot a few vendors down.

“I will never love you, and I will never be yours.” She could only hope that the words sounded as firm as she wanted, for her confidence was lacking in his presence.

“I will have you, and love doesn’t mean anything to me.” He laughed as he walked steadily away, her eyes watching every step. He turned his head to the side and gave her one final menacing smirk before whispering his words to the wind. “Not now, not ever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next cahpters the last. =] COMMENT PLEASE