Art's A Blast...And So Are You

Chapter 16

The party was going great. After about a half hour the sand siblings arrived. It turns out that Kakashi sent them a message letting them know you were back and well.

"Okubyoo, it's so good to see you!" Temari yelled as she hugged you.

"Temari, I've missed you so much. And of course Kankuro and Gaara," you said as you hugged each of them.

"So, Okubyoo, what happened? Everyone said you were taken by Sasuke's brother."

"Yea, Itachi and his partner Kisame Hoshgaki, one of the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. I was living with them for a while until Kabuto, the ninja that quit the chunin exams right before the preliminaries for the final test, kidnapped me. He took me back to Orochimaru's hideout and I lived there for about a month before I succeeded in escaping. Kakashi found me and brought me back."

"Well, at least you're safe."

"Yea." You looked at your feet. You didn't feel safe. You were worried Orochimaru might return for you. You knew that if you remained in Konoha he would come looking for you and cause more problems for the village. You looked up and saw that Gaara was staring at you. His eyes looked concern.

"Okubyoo, would you follow me?" he asked as he went outside. You followed and when he stopped you sat beneath a tree and stared up at the sky.

"There is something wrong." You looked up at him.

"I can see it in your eyes. I recognize it. It's pain."

"Gaara, I can't stay in Konoha. I believe that if I do, the whole village will be hurt again. We lost so many great shinobi the last time Orochimaru was here. He wants to use me and if he finds out I'm here he'll come for me. I can't put the village through that."

"Where would you go?"

"The only other place I feel at home. With the Akatsuki."

"Why not Suna?"

"Gaara, you know I can't go back there. I haven't been there in about eleven years now (you're almost 19). The only ones there that cared about me were you, Kankuro, and Temari."

"Okubyoo, we will protect you. Please. You can live with us."

"Gaara, why is it you're so good to me but cold to others?"

"Because you're the only one that ever stood up for me before you left. No one liked me. Not even my family. But you didn't care. You didn't think I was a monster. After you left, things got worse. I did hate you for leaving me. But when I first came here and saw you, that hatred left. I didn't know why. I still don't."

"Gaara, I didn't mean to hurt you when I left. I really wasn't even sure if you would remember me. You were so young. I'm glad to see you have changed, though. Your thoughts aren't as murderous as they were before. Shukaku doesn't seem to have as much control over you. I'm glad." You hugged him before making your way back inside. "I really care about you, Gaara. Don't ever forget that. You and your siblings mean the world to me. Your the ones that kept me sane back in Suna. I'll think about coming back with you, but don't count on it. I do have loved ones here, you know. And back at the Akatsuki base."

The party continued on for several hours. Guy and Lee kept trying to compete with Kakashi and Naruto, Ino was constantly yelling at Choji for eating a good portion of the food, and Shikamaru could be heard sighing and muttering "how troublesome" as he played games with Neji and Shino.

When the party ended, Kiba, Gaara, Kankuro, Temari, and Neji walked you home. Temari wanted to see where you were living and the guys wanted to make sure you were safe. You had turned the volume on your iPod up all the way and "Issues" by Mindless Self Indulgence came on. You and Kiba started singing along.

"It's 3 am, she won't put out, let's go make out with her friends, make out with her friends' friends."

Kankuro started laughing at the two of you as you danced along. Temari, Gaara, and Neji just stared. Then Neji seemed nervous.

"Be quiet, there's someone watching us."

"Do you think we're in danger?" Temari asked.

"Normally no, but it is late at night and we're being followed. We also have a former Akatsuki member with us who escaped from Orochimaru. We should take extra precautions."

"Maybe it's time I bring out my friends," Kankuro said and immediately his puppets were beside him.

You concentrated on the persons thoughts but were unable to hear anything. "Neji, can you see who they are?"

Neji activated his Byakugan but the person was gone. "Hm, they've disappeared."

"Guys, I want to get home. Let's hurry." Gaara looked at you.

"I'll get you home. You all look for this person. They may be after Okubyoo. I'll hurry back," he said and before you knew it you were surrounded by sand and slowly floating up. You were home within a few moments.

"Thanks Gaara. I'll talk to you later and let you know what I'm going to do. Night." You hugged him and entered your apartment.

"Don't worry, Mommy will make sure she gets back to Daddy before you're born," you said as you rubbed your stomach. You could feel your child moving and decided to sing to it. you put on "Death Whispered a Lullaby" by Opeth and started singing along. You felt your child calm down as you sang. "I love you," you whispered. 'I'll always love you.'

As you prepared for bed still singing, someone jumped onto your balcony unnoticed. They waited until you were asleep before making a move.