Memories

Chapter 1

By now I was in that kinda half asleep half awake thing. I could go back to sleep now if I wanted to. But I decided to wake up. I wasn’t really tired, although I was sure I had only slept for maybe one or two hours. I couldn’t tell what time of day it was. I was in a cave. A big one, where light seemed die at the entrance of it.

Oh yeah, you probably want to know something about me, right? Well, I can’t tell you much, and I’m not going to tell you my real name. But I will tell you the name that everyone knows me by. Jasmine. I have black hair and blue eyes. I am eight years old, and considered to be an adult. Because of all the killing that goes on, people usually don’t live to their twentieth birthday.

A sudden crack broke me out of my deep thought. I paid more attention to my surroundings. The cave wasn’t quite as big as I thought, and by now it was either early morning or late evening. This cave looked like it was home to a family of foxes, or maybe a pack of wolves, or something like that. I don’t remember stopping here. I think I stopped in a forest. Or was that a dream?

I sat up, hoping I could get a better look of where I was.

“Shhhh. Be quiet, and lay back down.”

The voice startled me, and I jumped, hitting my head on the low ceiling. It didn’t really hurt, but it made me aware of a throbbing pain in my right shoulder, like a wound that had healed but was stiff and sore. But I didn’t really focus on it for long, because there was a person here and I didn’t know who it was.

“Lay down,” the voice said with more force.

I started to lay down, but the person- whoever that was- was not that patient and shoved my shoulders, pushing down so that I was pinned to the ground.

“Oww…,” I said, keeping my voice quiet. I looked over to my shoulder, trying to see why it hurt so much. There was a hole right below my collar bone. Then I relized that it was more important to figure out who was pinning me to the ground, and why the heck I wasn’t dead.

It was hard to focus. Maybe I had been asleep longer than I thought. I noticed a blur of a yellowish gold. Maybe it was the sun. (Wow, I must really have been out of it. The sun hadn’t shined for at least one and a half years.)

“Uh, hello? Are you okay?”

I tried to gather my thoughts temporarily, at least long enough to put together a sentence. Instead, I just nodded. Talking is way too hard.

I tried to put together another sentence, and this time, I at least got sounds to come out of my mouth.

“Who… you?” My voice came out in a quiet mumble that sound weak, even to me.

“Doesn’t matter,” came the quiet reply.

I tried to get my eyes to focus and tried getting my thought together again. This time it was a lot easier to get my thoughts together at least. Who was that? Why am I here? Should I be here? Where was I? What was I doing? Why is that person here?

Okay, that hurt. I mean, it hurt to think all of that. But I did have to get some answers. I focused on its face, and was able to figure out some details. It was a boy, with blond hair and green eyes about the same color as emeralds. He looked strangely familiar…

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” I tried to sound mean, but my voice came out in more of a whisper.

I looked up at the boy. His face looked serious, but his eyes were amused. That must’ve meant that it was a stupid question, or just because I looked stupid.

“Make a guess.”

That was annoying. Was he going to keep avoiding my questions?

“Hmm… Well, I’m not dead, so you must want me to live… and I have something like a bullet hole in my shoulder, so I’m guessing I got shot… and I can barely think in complete sentences, so I must’ve been…,”

I struggled for a word. A coma? Just sleeping? Still in a coma where I was just imaging this?

“No, you aren’t in a coma. You were just sleeping.” His voice was amused. I was irritated.

I sighed. Of course I wasn’t. Wait… had I just said that out loud? I must’ve, how else could he had known?

“For how long,” I asked, trying to get as much information as I could from him, since he was finally giving me some answers.
“For a while…,” his voice trailed off, as if he were deciding whether or not to tell me something.

“What?” I couldn’t suppress the curiosity in my voice.