Memories

Chapter 4

My mind groggily tried to sort out what had happened. So, I was being mean to Nate. Then... I was thinking about apologizing...I think. Then something...cold and hard... hit me in the head. I think.

I blinked, and to my dismay, saw nothing but four dark walls of cold, grey stone looming mercilessly above me. Then I noticed Nate, looking at me intently.

"Are you okay," he asked quietly.

I wasn't quite sure yet, so I did a quick self check. My arms were fine, although my shoulder was stiff and sore. My legs were crammed against a small metal jail cell, but I still had legs, so that was fine. It didn't hurt to breathe, so my ribs weren't broken. I brought my hand up to feel my neck and head, but that wasn't fine.

The second my fingers brushed against me neck, I saw stars, got tunnel vision, and it took all my strength to not yelp in pain. I quickly jerked my hand away, and in the dim light, saw blood covering my hand.

"Hello? Are you okay," Nate asked again.

"Define okay," I said slowly.

"Are you going to be able to run if we get the chance?"

I thought this over. I really wanted to say yes, act strong, not be a burden to come along, but if the chance did come, I would be useless.

"My neck is hurt... I think it's broken." I relized by the tone of my voice that not only was my neck broken, but my spirit was at the very least fractured as well.

Nate was silent, not knowing what to say. I guess you could relate it to having your best friend's mom die, not knowing what to say, because no matter what you did, it wouldn't change anything.

"If you get the chance, run," I finally said.

"I can't do that," he said softly.

"And why not?"

More silence.

"Because I am yo-"

"You will be silent," a voice bellowed from somewhere close by.

My mind instantly flew to the past, as I tried to figure out where I reconized the voice from.

"Hello, Jasmine," The voice said coldly.
♠ ♠ ♠
In case you haven't noticed, my last couple chapters have been fairly short. That is because I know how hard it is to deal with long chapters. Also, please, please, please give me some feedback!!!