Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

Darkness at the End of the Tunnel-11

Who knew how long I would've stayed in my room after I admitted what I was. It had been almost three days since I'd ran upstairs and locked myself up in my room after I'd accepted to myself what I was...a vampire.

I thought Ryan would kick the door open at any moment (he had very heavy curtains over all the windows, so he could roam the house in the daytime as he pleased), but instead he left me alone, and for that I was glad. I needed to be alone, and sort the chaos I had for a life and find out what happened next. I still didn't know, but thinking about it was at least comforting.

I hadn't consumed any blood for two days, but I still didn't have a need for it. With this thought, I was startled with my acceptance so far. Feeling a strange shot of strength. I decided to leave me room now, so I quietly took the lock off the door and peeked out into the small hall.

If it hadn't been for my sun-lit room, I wouldn't have known it was noon because the rest of the house was completely covered with thick black curtains.

"Close it." Ryan ordered from an unknown place. I obeyed and waited for him to appear. He had been downstairs, and now he called me down from the kitchen. As I walked down, I found myself smiling a little for the fact that any human that would have been here wouldn't have been able to move an inch without tripping over something because it was pitch black. I of course, easily could.

"Good morning." he said kindly, washing the last dish. I guessed he had made himself breakfast, as pointless and unfulfilled as it may be.

"Good morning." I replied. I hadn't talked for a while, so my voice sounded strange to me. Ryan didn't seem to notice. He walked over to the fridge and looked for something in it. Instantly, the whole kitchen was filled with the dim light of the refrigerator. He closed it again and handed me a large bottle of blood. I shook my head but he handed it to me anyways.

"Come on, it's been three days. At least half of it." I still refused and turned the kitchen light on even though it wasn't needed. "Sorry I didn't have any lights on but-"

"It's okay, I know they're not needed but everything seems a little...depressing without them." I thought he would have laughed at my reason, but he didn't. Instead he nodded and tapped on the bottle I was still holding when he walked by me and left the kitchen. I looked back down at the thick substance I would forever have to consume and reluctantly opened the lid. The aroma was so enticing that before I knew it, the bottle was empty.

After I'd washed the glass, I followed the sound of a cell phone ringing out into the partial living room. Ryan had unpacked a couple more things, this time it was a pair of bean bag chairs. I sat in one next to him while he spoke on the phone. He was done soon after, so I asked him who it was.

"It's someone I think you'll have to meet soon. No, not Jerry, sorry." He quickly added when he saw my reaction.

"Can you be more specific as to who?" I asked.

"No one to worry about, he's going to help us." I waited for him to say more, but he was silent. I was about to say something but he spoke up again. "Speaking of which, you need to change your appearance since they're looking for you."

"I don't see why that is necessary. I came from a small town and we're really far away from there...we don't have to go to extremes?" I meant the last part as a statement, but it came out as a question from the look on Ryan's solemn expression.

"There-there's more people looking for you than you can realize right now." He reluctantly said. I was about to ask who but before I knew it, he was up from his chair and he practically flew upstairs. He came back down with a mirror. He turned the living room light on and moved the bean bag chair across from me and sat down with the mirror and placed it on my lap so I picked it up.

"Let's get started. Turn your eyes green." I put the mirror back down on my lap instead.
"Why?" I asked. He took a deep breath and held it back up to me. I looked at my reflection, looking back at to who I would have thought was a stranger days ago. Everything seemed different except my gray eyes and black hair, the way they had always been.

"This is going to be useful to you. You can fool other vampires into believing you're feeling a certain way than you actually are. This can also help change your identity. People are looking for you right now, so we might as well make it a little more difficult for them."

"Alright." I replied, even though I tried to find an answer as to why he used the word vampires instead of people. I looked back in the mirror either way.

"Stop thinking about everything else." He said.

I didn't want to think about that anymore, so I stared thinking about the eye color. I wasn't going to say the color out loud, because I would have found this situation all the more silly. Not saying the eye color out loud reminded me of the movie where Spider-man was trying to make a web, and how funny he looked. Wow. How could I been thinking of Spider-man at a time like this? That's me for you. But that's another thing that came to my attention. Yes, Spider-man was a fictional character, technically we are too, but here Ryan and I are. That's not my point though, my point is this is; If he had supernatural abilities, which he used to make him a hero, what does that make...us? Villains? Ryan spoke, breaking my train of thought. I didn't hear him at first, so he repeated it.

"Concent-" I silently broke him off as my eye color started changing into a deep shade of green, just the shade I wanted. I couldn't exactly say how and why, but I did. He grinned and the light of happiness in his eyes had returned. After he called out a couple more colors and I could change it almost instantly, he made it harder. "Okay, now for something a little more challenging. Change your eye color into not any blue color, but this type." He pointed to his shirt. It took me a while this time, but it came out perfectly. I started to have fun after a while, but then things got ugly.

He started playing with my emotions. Some things he said really were sad and hurtful but others were hilarious and witty. Either way, I had to control my eye color. After what seemed like forever, he stopped mid-sentence of one of his jokes.

"I don't want to tire you out, but we still need to work on it." He started to apologize for the things he'd said, but I waved it away knowing he hadn't meant it. Ryan got up and started looking through some boxes. When he found what he wanted, he took it out of the box and took out a smaller box that held guitar picks.

"Want to hear me play?" He asked confidently as I got up from the bean bag.

"Sure." I answered. I handed the mirror back to him and we walked upstairs to play the guitar which was in my room. I went ahead of him to cover the window with the thick curtain before he got there.

"I'll play it downstairs." He said taking the acoustic guitar out of its case. He stopped half way and he got up and stood very stiffly. Ryan must of heard something, so I didn't say a word.

From downstairs, I heard windows shatter. He cursed under his breath, brusquely grabbing my wrist. I yelped unwillingly, this was the first time I'd felt pain in a while. Ryan silently but quickly locked my door and took out a remote from his pocket. He pushed a button which caused a loud explosion from outside. He pushed another button on the remote and the bookcase clicked open like a door, revealing a secret passageway.