Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

True Friends Stab You in the Front-20

I took his hand and put my other on his shoulder. I felt something very strange then. A…warm sensation it seemed. First where I’d touched him, and then the rest of my body. He’d flinched a little when I’d touched him, but nevertheless kept his hand loosely wrapped around mine. I had felt neither coldness nor warmth since I’d been changed. I’d felt another vampire, Ryan, when I’d said goodbye, but I hadn’t felt anything even remotely close to whatever this was. I looked up to see him not quite smiling, but his expression wasn’t its usual angry or aggravated state either.

His foot stepped forward, and I instinctively moved mine back, and then it was my turn to do what he’d done. I couldn’t bear to look at his beautiful face anymore. It was mesmerizing, yes, but I didn’t…want the feeling I was already getting simply by his touch, so I glanced down at my feet. There was a problem with doing this escape route-the space between us was now completely non-existent. When this happened, I didn’t know. I had to look up at him now. His honey colored eyes were dimly lit by the lights, but were more full of life I’d ever seen before. So there we were, dancing back and forth, with the occasional spin he made me do, to no music at all but the sounds of our footsteps making a peaceful harmony echoing off the marble walls.

I had lost track of time when...Leverett…smiled.

It was for an instant, but long enough for me to catch. He gently let go of me, and bowed rather hastily. I hate to admit it, but I already missed his touch, almost as much as that smile.

“Let’s go and finish that book.” He said slowly, already heading towards the door only to run into Molly. She must’ve gone when we were dancing but had come back. I guessed it was because the sound of our footsteps had stopped and had come to see what had caused this…come to think of it, I didn’t even know why.

I simply nodded and followed, unsure of what to say.

“That story was better that I expected.” Leverett said after I finished the third book since I’d started reading almost a month ago.

“Yes it was.” I replied, getting up from the leather chair and re-shelved it. I was really going to miss this…

“What?” He asked sternly. I turned to look at him, questioning his change in tone so out of the blue…as always it seemed when it came to him.

“Do you know what’s happening tomorrow?” I asked casually.

“No. Good news?” He asked, leaning back in his chair raising his fingers to his temples.

“For you, yes…probably.” I replied rather harshly, to see it had vaguely caught his interest. He motioned me with his hand to continue. “Ryan called, I’m leaving tomorrow night.”

“Hm,” he said, his jaw tensing again. He slowly got out of his chair as well and started pacing around his study, “does he realize you’re safer here?” He asked in the same tone as before.

“I think I’ve troubled-“

“No. If something bothered me, I would take care of it.” He said rather darkly.

“When is it that you’re leaving?” He asked as he looked for a book across of his study from me.

“Tomorrow night.” I replied.

“You should go get your things together then.”He said, picking up a book and glancing up to look at me before returning to his leather chair to read it.

“I’ll see you tomorrow to say goodbye then.” I said rather lamely, leaving his study and closing the door behind me.

I was leaving tonight as Ryan had said over the phone. I had my few things packed, and Molly had stayed awake the night before long enough to tell me she wanted to give me the red dress I’d been wearing as a going-away present. I, of course, protested but she finally convinced me to comply with her. Molly told me that she had to go shopping for some things that day and didn’t know when she was going to come back that evening, so I said goodbye to her yesterday night. During the time I’d finished packing, I heard the door to the entrance of the house open and close. Thinking Ryan had come early, I left my room with my backpack and looked downstairs. No one was there. That could only mean someone had left, and the only two people in the house right now were me and…Leverett.

I left my things on the couch when I knocked on his study door. Silence. I opened the door and looked inside, it was empty, confirming what I already knew.

Another thing I confirmed is that he really didn’t care at all about me if he didn’t even bother to say goodbye. Of course he didn’t. He did his job to keep me alive and now I was Ryan’s problem…

What if I don’t want to be anyone’s problem but my own? Who said I had to be someone’s burden and responsibility except mine?

I’m leaving, and I’m going to be like everyone else my age should be by now-independent.

I took my things and closed the loud metal door behind me, went up the numerous steps, and hatched open the door to go outside into the world once more.

I went around and closed the door with the stones attached to it hiding any possibility of me or anyone else finding it again to open it and see to what a remarkable place it led.

It was so beautiful outside. It was a half crescent moon tonight, and it was a starless sky. Everything was like with an eerie but beautiful color of blue. I turned around to take in my surroundings, enjoying my newly acquired freedom.

That’s when I saw…him. A few feet away, I saw a man, lying face down, in a puddle of blood, which glistened in the moonlight like black paint mixed with diamonds.

I started to cry as I dropped my things to run over to see who it was.

...It was Ryan.
♠ ♠ ♠
status has changed :)