Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

Cowardness to Live, Bravery to Die-24

It was a picture. It was small in size, the the edges of it, tarnished over time. What and who the picture was of was what shocked and confused me. It was a picture of me, looking the same as I was now, but with blonde hair that was pulled back into a neat bun. In the picture I was wearing a red trench coat, which was almost long enough to cover the tutu I was wearing. Behind me was a famous landmark. The Eiffel Tower, on a cloudy day. I took the image out of the locket, examining it more closely. I felt my eyes were fooling me, the picture did not make sense. Never had I gone to Paris, let alone as a ballerina.

The idea of her being me seemed beyond ridiculous, so I returned the picture back to its former place, silently laughing to myself at my previous thoughts. I got up from the hill and started walking back to the hotel. The sun had started to set.

When I opened the door, it practically hit Kadin. My smile faded. Kadin was leaving, and he had just waited long enough to say goodbye.

"Don't-" I began, as Kadin slowly passed me by the door.

"It's not you that...I just can't stay here," Kadin mumbled, his jaw tense as he avoided Ryan's gaze, "I don't want to stay here." My eyes looked at him pleadingly, but he looked away and left, a cab was already there waiting.

Kadin never looked back. Not even as the cab drove away...

Ryan and I stood at the doorway, as I felt him grasp my shoulder. I held his hand and gently squeezed it. I felt his mouth inch to my ear.

"It'll soon be over," he whispered, "and we'll be able to stop this." I nodded, and spun around to look at him. His gaze made me smile. Before I knew it, his lips were on mine. He was about to let go, but I kissed back.

He responded, crashing his lips more forcefully. He pushed me back in the room, closing the door behind us. He held me tightly by the waist as he kissed me longingly, as I entangled my fingers in his hair.

...It was wrong. This was wrong.

I pulled away, Ryan tried not to look offended, letting go of me. I'd pulled away when he'd kissed me because as my eyes closed, that same moment I kissed back, it wasn't Ryan I pictured myself kissing...but Leverett.

"We have to go, I can only go outside for so long..." He said, looking over at the alarm clock, which said it was almost six.

"Ryan I'm-"

"Don't-it's fine. Gather your things while I check us out at the office." Without another word, he left.

I started packing, which only took minutes to do. Since Ryan hadn't returned, I started packing his things too. I looked under the forest green-colored bed to make sure we didn't leave anything behind. Just then I heard a song come from the alarm, on the opposite side of the bed I was looking under, making me hit my head. I got up, alarmed. But it wasn't Ryan next to the alarm clock.

"Hello there." Mrs. Goodman said, smirking at me.

I shook my head in disbelief, back towards the door that was only a few feet away. Then more fear hit me. Not because she was here, but as I tried to escape, she didn't move an inch, and just kept smiling.

Still sure of what I knew would happen, I ran out the door, only to have numerous pairs of hands grab me.

They had found us.

Mrs. Goodman came from the doorway, holding an empty syringe, one to extract blood. I slipped away from their strength easily, realizing that they were...human. Ryan was no where in sight, and the office was exactly on the other side of the hotel. I knew that I could easily outrun them again.

But I won't anymore. I. Am. Sick. Of. Running.

They ran towards me again, instead of four there were now at least two dozen of them. I slowly walked back to them, causing them to slow their pace and try to mask their newly found fear.

My walk turned into a run, and only half of them stayed in their place, and the rest started running away in different directions of the forest but otherwise barron land. I glanced at where Mrs. Goodman had been standing, but she was no longer there.

I looked back towards the humans that were brave enough to stay. Without warning, I went on autopilot. I lunged at them, and started to...slaughter them. They were so weak. I tore limbs, broke necks, and I fed, fed on the countless amounts of blood that came of it, only makeing me stronger as they pointless tried to fight back. Their cries of horror echoed off in all directions, but the sounds around me were muffled. The only senses functioning were the ones to kill. I threw one of them against a car by their hair. Shards of glass flew all around me like silver rain and crashed down like a sound of bullets.

One. One was left. As I inched towards them hungrily, walking over unrecognizable corpses. I heard Mrs. Goodman's voice coming from somewhere, but I kept on moving towards the sole survivor. But then she said something that stopped me in my tracks, and she repeated it without the need to.

"Stop, or Ryan dies."