Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

Breathing-34

I kept waiting for Leverett, for what seemed like an eternity. Time stood still, yet seem to be going by so fast. Ever since that moment in the rain, after I'd run away, did I have a vague grasp of time.

Leverett reemerged, his cold, unblinking eyes were now the only traced left of the horrible fight of moments before. He didn't look at me, but gently took hold of my hand and we started to make our way to the door. I turned to see if I could see Ryan from the opened door Leverett had just been in, but it was slammed shut before I could tell if I'd seen anything. A cry of frustration and anguish was muffled by the thick wooden door, but I could still hear it. I began to let go of Leverett's hand to go back, but he stoked my hand and pulled me away hastily up the stairs and onto the surface about the house.

"He's unharmed. Now we must go." He said under his breath.

That was the last time I saw Leverett in such a tired, depressed, and vulnerable state. It's been months now since the whole ordeal, and life-or whatever it is we beings have- is as close to heaven is I can imagine anyone ever getting to. After that night we'd left Leverett's house, we moved far away-halfway around the world actually, and started a new life here. As the weeks had progressed and the leaves in the trees began to regain their leaves-Leverett seemed to gain his strength, his happiness back. Our lives together were close to perfect- not a care in the world. I could be outside again, and by night we'd go into the city and have what seemed like endless first dates-our love for one another as exciting as a first kiss but as assuring and unwavering as our unaging bodies embraced when we made love.

There would be nights were I could catch glimpses he'd give me like those when we first met when he saw me with so much masked curiosity, so much adoration, but so much wariness that I could only describe each glance as a way of saying goodbye.

"I like that dress, i think it's my favorite." He said, as I tossed another log of wood into our fireplace. We couldn't feel the warmth, but the cozy feeling was still felt, by both of us.

"I thought red was your favorite color, not green."

He motioned me over with a broad smile, raising an eyebrow. Nessling my face under his chin, I started tracing his collarbone with my finger. I felt him kiss my forehead, and rested his cheek there. He'd do this often; where he'd motion me to him like he had something to say, but didn't in the end, where he'd just hug or kiss me instead. It drove me mad sometimes, but I'd always play along. This time, I knew I couldn't keep quiet anymore. Something was up, and I needed to know what it was.

"Love..." I began.

"Yes?" I felt his chuckle against my hair.

"I-"

Leverett lept up from his chair so fast he almost hurt me. He ran upstairs and came back down with a small duffel bag.

"Love-" He said in a stern voice, which shook slightly, stuffing one or two other things from some drawers near his desk, "Mrs. Goodman is near, I can hear them. Let's go." With that, he grabbed me and carried me over his shoulder out the door and to his car.

He drove at blinding speed, further and further away from the city, with the tallest buildings turning into specks of dust and the blooming fields becoming more vivid blurs of colors as we speed by. Leverett's jaw clenched, as he pushed the car beyond its limits, starting a piercing state into the road, unblinking, in a trace.

"There-"

"There what?" He demanded, still looking straight ahead.

"...There's only one duffel bag."

I saw him gulp and tighten his grip on the wheel. The tires screeched at one of the sharp turns, seeming to snap Leverett out of his driving trance. His face softened-he started to look terrified, probably more than he'd hope I'd realize. I was starting to revel at the answer he was about to give.

"You're the only one leaving."

The car came to a stop, slamming me back into the seat thanks to the seat belt.

"Leverett, what are you talking about?!" I pulled away from his grip as he went to pull me out of the car-he was already outside of the car. He grabbed me by the waist in a desperation as if the car itself was on fire. I started fighting back, flustered. He could do a lot of things without an explanation, but this wasn't one of them.

"Please, stop." He whispered, tears started to form in his eyes. The shock of the sight froze me and held on to him closer as he made his way to a small house a little ways off the road as he carried me and the duffel bag to it.

I heard cars approaching, maybe a mile away now. I couldn't hear them before because I wasn't listening for them but now the sound was undeniable. Mrs. Goodman was near, the screeching of the speeding cars were sound enough to know those weren't by someone just driving by.