Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

The Illness Takes Over-05

I went to school the next day, with the occasional "Are you okay?" or the "What do you have?" question. I obviously had to lie half the time. I was okay, but I had no idea what I had or have. I told them I had anemia, because I knew that if I told them the truth that even I didn't know, it would lead to more questions and I would've never been able to get to my classes on time. Everything seemed as fine as it was going to get until I started getting hungry. My mother had told me that I couldn't have my medicine/flood liquid thing in public, so I had to find a private place to do so.

I started looking for a classroom to drink in on the second story of the school, upstairs from where everyone was at lunchtime. I kept trying to open the dark classrooms, until I found one that a careless teacher had forgotten to lock after going to eat their lunch. I did consider a bathroom stall but bathrooms were still too public and the teachers and staff always kept a close eye on the back of the school.

I closed the door behind me, but I could still hear peoples' voices in the cafeteria downstairs. I was in an english classroom. I could tell from all the posters about different pieces in literature. The room wasn't illuminated with artificial light, and to my advantage I didn't need to turn on any lights since I could see everything so well from my...'sickness'...or whatever it was.

I drank it down, with the same sensation I had last time. I thought I would feel dizzy or weak, but in fact, I just felt stronger. While I was waiting the couple of minutes my mother had suggested I'd wait, I heard footsteps outside the classroom. Thinking I'd waited enough, I decided to open the door to leave the classroom. If it happened to be a teacher I could've told her that I'd gotten lost or something. Like I'd said before, I'm a great liar.

I opened the door to find Jerry running away from me. He was the same guy that didn't look worried, and I thought I'd seen cry before I blacked out in our class,

"Hey!" I called out, but he didn't stop running. I easily caught up to him,held him by the arm and spun him around so he would face me. I put him up against the wall and kept my hands on his arms while I spoke, he would probably otherwise run.

"Hey," I repeated, surprisingly not having to catch my breath, "Why were you running from me?" I couldn't see his ice blue eyes because he was looking at the floor while he bit his lip, looking like a boy that just got caught stealing from the cookie jar. I felt bad for acting so aggressively, so I loosened my grip on him. As soon as I did so he looked up at me timidly.

"Calm down." He said. I frowned and I subconsciously tightened my grip on him yet again.

"How can I calm down when I-you randomly start acting so rude?" I demanded. When I'd started talking, he was going to lower his head again, but something made him stop. Something made him-forced him- to take a second look. He started smiling then, taking my hands off his arms. Before I could react, he spoke again, casually pointing at my eyes still smiling as if it was all a joke.

"Your eyes." Hes gestured. My expression was no longer confused, now it was angry.

"What about them?" I said angrily, taking a tiny mirror out of my jean's pocket. Jerry still hadn't answered, so I looked at myself.

My eyes went from their natural gray color to a strange black color, so black I wasn't sure where my pupils started or ended. Jerry walked closer to me as I slowly put the mirror back in my pocket. His smile had faded, but nonetheless still there.

"You need to learn how to control your emotions," he said in a much quieter voice. I was still to awe stuck to even speak. "...especially after you'd drunken you fill, or your eye color will pretty much give you away That could one day cost you your life." I looked up at him. High school students just then started flooding the hall, and before I could get a hold on Jerry, he'd disappeared among the crowd. Instead of chasing him which would have been an impossible deed anyway from all the students, I got my sunglasses that were clipped to my jeans and left the school by taking the nearest exit available, leaving my backpack with all my things in my locker. I had no intentions on staying with my eyes looking like this- who knew what else would change?

I walked home because I hadn't driven my car to get to school today. I really had no use for a car in a town so small, where everything was at a walking distance and there was almost always perfect weather.

I didn't got to school the next day, for all I knew my eyes could turn purple because I'd forgotten my homework and I wouldn't even notice until it was too late.

"Do you know what tomorrow is?" Mom said in a what she might think is a cheery voice.

"Judgment Day. The day when whoever is coming finally gets here?" I asked sarcastically, chewing my cherry gum, trying to suppress any thoughts or feelings by concentrating on my gum-chewing.
"No to the first part, and yes to the second," she still said happily, "It's your seventeenth birthday! How can you forget something so important?" I gave her that "why do you think, you idiot." look, so she quickly added: "Ha. Um...don't answer that." The gum-chewing was obviously not helping, for my anger started rising even though I was now violently chewing that poor piece of gum. I ran over to my room and slammed the door with a loud "Bam!"

Mom stopped trying to convince me to come out about five minutes later because I never even replied with 'no's'. The TV in my room wasn't working and I'd already read all the books in my room, so instead I decided to take a nap, (with the help of sleeping pills of course) otherwise my thoughts would've gotten the best of me

"Ow! Ow! Ow..." I exclaimed clasping my mouth with my hand. It felt as if someone had just punched me in the mouth with one swift, and pain-filled blow.

"You okay? What's going on in there?" Mom asked trying to open the door I'd always locked behind me. I didn't reply because I was seriously in too much pain. Even if I wasn't in pain, I wouldn't had responded because I was still angry at her. Instead, I walked to my bathroom, all the while grasping my aching mouth.

I splashed cold water over my face trying to help cease the pain. My mom was still banging on the door and rattling the doorknob. But all the noise was deafened when I looked up at the mirror.

I looked just like I had that first night I'd gotten sick. I slowly opened my mouth to see if they were bleeding or anything, but instead I found that my canine teeth were abnormally long. I put my finger up to one of them and found them to be extremely sharp as they were pointy. I closed my mouth in alarm. The room started spinning.

I must have fainted then, because I found myself on the bathroom floor. I could tell it was daytime from the rays of sun peeking through the blinds on the windows. I got up carefully and walked over to my alarm clock to see what it read. It was 9 in the morning, and to my surprise, Friday. The guests were going to be here today.

...If only I had left the day before. I wouldn't have had to run, I wouldn't have had to kill, and worst of all, I wouldn't have had to love.