Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

Old Friends New News-09

"Ow! I exclaimed when I reached out to the spot on my neck where I felt the pain. I started feeling a strange numbing sensation, all of my main muscles like my arms and legs started shutting down. I thought I was going to fall, but the boy that had asked my name earlier caught me before I did. I heard something make a 'clank' when it hit the ground. To my surprise, it was an empty needle, a long and sharp one at that. The boy kicked it as hard as he could so it flew across the parking lot and slid under a pile of bushes.

I tried to scream, but my mouth couldn't open. The only thing that seemed to still want to function were my eyes. The boy swung one of my arms over his shoulder and dragged me to one of the few cars parked in the motel lot. I was placed at the back seat of the car and strapped in with a seat belt. I sat there limply while I saw my captor go towards the drivers side of the car with my backpack and umbrella in one of his hands, stop, and go towards the back of the car instead. I looked through the rear view mirror to see a man with a concerned look on his face as he tried to take a peek at me but the boy blocked his way. The man must have seen what happened, I might be saved.

"She just went a little overboard with the drinks," I could hear my captor's muffled voice say, "so she called me from here to take her home," he gestured towards the motel, "and told me to come pick her up," The man looked over in my direction, at the only thing he could see of me, which was the back of my head. I tried to move, but it was hopeless. I couldn't believe my eyes because the next thing I saw through the rear view mirror was the man finally giving the boy, who was my captor, an approving nod and walk away. It stopped raining then, but I was going to be soaked in my tears of rage and frustration.

The captor got in and drove away with me. I was still very numb, but I started to feel movement in my toes. From his profile, I could tell he was worried, even more so because his strong jaw clenched up when he looked back to find me crying.

"I'm so sorry I had to do that," he said still glancing back at me. I couldn't really see his face because the few streetlights we passed were so dim. "I really had no choice, I wouldn't have gotten a hold of you any other way." No duh. I thought. This time instead of looking back to see my reaction, he took out his cell phone. It wouldn't have mattered if he'd looked back, because the stuff he had injected me with was still coursing through my veins and I couldn't even move my face.

He quickly dialed a number with his free hand and pressed it up to his ear while the other one still drove. There was silence as it rang. He abruptly started talking to whoever was on the line, without even saying 'hello'. He had very short answers to the person that seemed to be interrogating him, with really short pauses after each of his responses.

"Yes. Yes, I do. Not too much. I don't know, she can't talk yet...fine I'll check." He placed the phone out of his ear and glanced at me.

"Can you talk?" He asked. All I could do was look back at him and slowly opened my mouth, with no words coming out in my effort so I quickly shut it closed. At least it was wearing off...

"No. She can't," he said sounding a little irritated, at who, I wasn't sure, "do you really think-fine." My captor pushed a button on his phone and placed it on the backseat next to mine. The phone was now on speaker.

"He-Hello?" I heard a familiar voice say. "It's me, Jerry. I wish I could explain everything I could to you right now, I really do." he began. I'd never really heard Jerry speak, just a few fragments from when he was forced to read out loud in our English class. "I need you to be strong for me like you have been. It was the right thing to do, running away, which was why I let you go when I could have easily caught you-twice. My aunt- Mrs.Goodman, is...not a good person. I wanted to help you because I didn't want you to go what I had to go through...anyway, my aunt had sent me to go and find you and when I did, I knew I had to keep you safe so I let you go. I would have told you about my plan back at the shed, but for the lack of time I couldn't. I would have run away with you, but I am more use to you here than I would be there, my friend or I will tell why later.

When I went back to them, I'd told them you'd escaped. because I knew I would face...serious consequences because of my betrayal. The man driving you is the only person I could trust with you. He is taking you to the only safe place at the moment." There was a very long pause so I nervously looked back to the driver, who looked up to me from the mirror. He started saying something but he got cut off.

" I-I have to go..." Jerry quickly rushed the last sentence before he hung up. "Please-please trust me, trust him." The driver reached back and snapped the phone shut.

"See? Please do Jer and I a favor and trust us, we really do want to keep you from harm's way." I wanted to ask a thousand new questions that that phone call had brought up, but the drug still had control over me. I did feel a little safer know that Jerry wasn't on their side, but who exactly were the people that wanted to hurt me? And why?

We kept driving for a long time, but we were now parked at a gas station. He was starting up the car again after he'd gotten some gas when the feeling of detachment from my body abruptly ceased. I opened my mouth once more and awkwardly tried to speak.

"Wh-" I began, but the driver almost jumped fifty feet when I'd spoken. When he realized how stupidly he'd reacted, he shyly looked back to me. The car was illuminated by the bright white lights of the gas station now, so I could have a good look at his face. He was a redhead, his short hair framing his naturally pale face.

"What?" He asked, looking at me with his large green eyes curiously.

"What's...your name?" I finished, still having trouble moving as I tried adjusting to my seat. He slowly reached out hesitantly and helped me before he answered.

"Ryan." He replied.