Stay Still

Worries

“Hey Rach, wait up!” I stopped and turned around. Matt was running down the hill next to the high school, waving his hands and yelling.

“Matt! Slow down. I’m not going anywhere.” I yelled. I didn’t really want to wait for him, I felt weird around him after what happened a few weeks ago but I couldn’t just walk away from him. He was one of my best friends. Matt finally got to me, panting. “You didn’t have to run. It’s not like I was gonna run away or anything.” I said.

“I know, it’s just, I really want to talk to you. We haven’t had a chance to talk since… Well, you know. You always have something you have to do.” he said.

“Yeah, sorry, I’ve been really busy.” I lied. I hated lying to him but I didn’t want him to know that I had been avoiding him.

“Can I walk you home so we can talk?” Him, walking me home, was kind of what started the whole thing and him saying that, gave me flashbacks.

I swallowed hard and said, “Sure.” We started walking. After a little while he looked over and noticed me rubbing my stomach.

“Are you OK?” he asked, looking worried.

“Yeah, I’ve just been feeling sick the past few days. It’s worse in the morning though and it eventually goes away so I don’t have to miss school but I feel a little weird at the moment.”

“Maybe you’re pregnant.” Mike said, walking up behind us.

I turned to him with a panicked expression, “What did you say?!”

“What? I was just joking. Wow, I didn’t expect you to take it so seriously.” he said. I turned back around, clutching my stomach. ‘Oh God, I can’t be. I am late though…’ I thought to myself. I started hyperventilating.

“Rachel? What’s wrong?” Matt asked. He apparently was not making the connections I was. I just shook my head and tried to control my breathing. I didn’t want to say anything in front of Mike. No one knew what had happened between Matt and me and I wanted to keep it that way.

“Oh great.” Mike said.

“What?” I asked, turning around. Eric was coming towards us. His disgusting bimbo of a girlfriend right behind him.

“She’s so nasty.” Mike whispered.

“Shh, they’ll be able to hear you in a few seconds.” Matt said. We stood, waiting for them to reach us. Eric had started dating “Hannah” the day Matt and I had gone home together. She was the whole reason I even did anything with Matt in the first place. We had been hanging out at Jared’s place and Eric showed up with her. She was just like Eric’s last girlfriend, who broke his heart by sleeping with someone else. He always fell for the girls that were bound to bring him heartache and I was sick of it. Why couldn’t he see that I was standing right here, waiting for him. I loved him so much, I had ever since second grade when he and Jared beat up some bully who was picking on Acacia, my sister, and me. I was sick and tired of watching him with other girls who just ended up hurting him. Well anyway, Eric and I got into a huge fight about ‘her’ and I left Jared‘s, feeling extremely hurt and angry, trying to walk off some steam. Matt came after me and like always, was there for me when I needed someone… If I got pregnant I was blaming her.

They finally reached us and, without saying hi, I started walking again. Eric and I hadn’t spoken since that night and as long as he kept seeing Hannah, I wasn’t going to speak to him. Matt followed me, as did Mike, after saying hi to both of them. Eric and Hannah followed, whispering annoyingly to each other. I just rolled my eyes and walked a little faster. At least Eric’s house was first on our block and I wouldn’t have to deal with them much longer. We all walked in silence until we finally got to Eric’s house.

“Well, see you guys later.” he said as him and Hannah went inside. Matt, Mike and I continued walking.

“So, what are you guys doing later?” Mike asked.

“Jared wants us to come pick out tuxes remember?” Matt said.

“Oh, right. I forgot about that. What time are we meeting him?”

“Around 6.”

“You’ll pick me up?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Alright then, see ya guys later.” Mike said, and walked away. His house was on the next street over.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” Matt asked me. “You look pale.”

“What if I’m pregnant?” I said. My voice sounded funny. I’d been holding the fear in the whole way home and it just came out. I got a few steps ahead before I realized he wasn’t walking next to me anymore. I turned around to see Matt standing there with a horrified expression. Finally things were coming together in his head. “I think I should go buy a test.” I said.

He didn’t say anything for a minute. "Where do you get those?” he asked.

“Anywhere I guess, CVS probably has them. And it’s closer than Wal-Mart.”

“ I’ll drive.” he said, walking over to his car, which was parked in his driveway, which was right next to mine.

“Wait, let me go put my books inside and grab my wallet.” I said, walking towards my door. He followed me inside and went into the kitchen. I put my bag in the closet and ran upstairs. When I got into my room I sat on the edge of my bed and put my head in my hands. Matt came in and sat next to me. He handed me a can of Dr. Pepper and then laid his hand on my shoulder.

“It’s going to be okay.” he whispered. I lifted my head to look at him and tried to smile. “Come on, let’s go see if we’re gonna be parents.” he said. I groaned at his sad attempt to joke as he took my hand and led me out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading!! Please subscribe and comment! It would mean the world to me!

<3 Rachel