Stay Still

An Answer To All Our Problems

I was laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling when the doorbell rang. I got up and went to get the door.

“Hey.” I said as Acacia walked inside. She didn’t look very happy. “What’s wrong?” I asked, leading her into the living room.

She sat down and said, “I just got back from the doctor.”

“What is it? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. I just… Jared and I have been talking about having a baby and I was feeling a little strange so I went to the Doctor to see if maybe I was pregnant but he… said that… that…” she stopped, unable to hold back her tears.

I went and sat next to her. “What did he say?” I whispered.

“I can’t have children.” she answered quietly. I sat with her as she cried, rubbing her back, trying to comfort her as I thought of an idea.

A few hours later, after Acacia had left, I sat on the couch waiting for Matt, still thinking. I had just made a decision when the doorbell rang. I ran to the door and threw it open, expecting Matt. I was surprised to find Eric standing there, a very sad expression on his face. I stepped back and held the door open for him. He walked past me and went into the living room. I followed. Neither of us said anything until he turned to me. He looked devastated.

“What happened?” I asked, although I had a feeling I already knew.

“You were right.” he whispered.

I swallowed hard and sat on the arm of the couch, waiting for him to continue. When he didn’t I asked quietly, “About what?”

“About everything, about her being a disgusting slut, about me always falling for the wrong person… when the right person is right in front of me.” He walked towards me slowly. I didn’t move, even though I knew that I should. He leaned down and hesitating for only a second, kissed me softly. I needed to push him away and tell him that it was too late but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to. Instead I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. That was when someone knocked on the door and without waiting for an answer Matt walked inside. I jumped up, pushing Eric away from me just as Matt came into the living room.

“Oh, hey Eric. I wasn’t expecting you to be here.” He looked back and forth between Eric and me. “What’s going on?” he asked suspiciously.

I cleared my throat. “Nothing, Eric was just leaving.” I said.

“I was?”

“Yes you were.” I said, walking out of the room and to the front door. I opened it and waited for Eric to follow me. He came out of the living room with a very confused look on his face. Matt followed him with an even more confused look.

“Are you okay?” Eric asked me.

“Yes, I’m fine. We’ll see you at school tomorrow ok?”

“Alright. See ya.” he said slowly and then left. I shut the door and turned to Matt.

“What was that about?” he asked.

I tried to figure out what I could tell him without lying. "He wanted to apologize for what happened that night. I forgave him and then I wanted him to leave because I need to talk to you.” I said. “Come on, I had the best idea ever.” I said excitedly as I took his hand and pulled him back into the living room. I sat him down on the couch but didn’t sit next to him. I stood there bouncing instead.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked.

“I’m excited. I think you’re really gonna love my idea.” I said, bouncing some more.

“Well tell me then.”

“Where to start… Let’s see.” I sat on the arm of the couch, trying to figure out the best way to explain. “Alright, I don’t know if she wants people to know about this or not but I have to tell you. When my sister was here earlier she had just came from the doctor and he told her that she can’t have children.”

“What?! Oh man! That sucks. Jared’s going to be so disappointed.” Matt said.

“Yeah, anyway, listen to my idea.”

He gave me a weird expression. "Okay."

“I want to give them the baby.” I said. I looked over at Matt to see what his reaction was. He didn’t say anything for a few minutes. “Matt?” I sat next to him. “What do you think?” I asked quietly.

“I... I don’t know what to say… You really want to give it away?” he asked.

“Matt, come on. What the hell are we going to do with a baby? We’re not ready. They
are. They want one so bad and they can’t have it on their own. If I’m going to give my child away to anyone, who could be better than them?”

He smiled. “Okay, let’s give it to Jared and Acacia.” he said.

“Awesome!“ I hugged him and then jumped up to go call them.