Stay Still

Parents

“I told Jared and Acacia to come over for dinner tomorrow. Is that okay?” I asked Matt as I walked back into the living room.

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll come over right after school to help.” he said. “Hey Rach?”

“Yeah?”

“Where are your parents?” he asked.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, where are they? Shouldn’t they be home by now?”

“They’re gone.” I replied simply, walking out of the room. Unfortunately Matt followed me.

“What do you mean they’re gone?”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Well we’re going to talk about it.” He said, following me into the kitchen. “Are they dead?” he asked.

“What?!”

“Well you said they were gone and you don’t want to talk about it. Did you like murder them or something? Oh my god, are they chained in the basement?!” He asked, opening the door and calling down the steps for my parents.

“Matt, my parents are not chained in the basement and they are not dead. They’re in Mexico.” I said as I opened the freezer to get some ice cream. “You want some?” I asked him.

“Sure. Why are they in Mexico?”

“Because they moved there.” I replied, getting out two bowls and putting ice cream in them.

“They moved?!” Matt yelled. I nodded. “Why didn’t you say anything? When did they move? Why didn’t you go with them? Jesus, so many questions!”

“Let’s see. They moved a week ago, I didn’t go with them because I want to finish out my school year here and I don’t want to miss Jared and Acacia’s wedding and all my friends are here. And I didn’t say anything because I was busy freaking out over the fact that I’m pregnant.” I said, trying my best to answer all his questions.

He sat down at the kitchen table, looking a little overwhelmed. I put his ice cream down in front of him then sat across from him and started eating mine.

“We have to tell them.” Matt said after a little while.

“Tell who what?” I asked, my mouth full of frozen ice.

“Our parents that you’re pregnant.” he replied.

I swallowed hard. “Why?” I asked, unable to think of a reason.

“Because I think they’ll eventually notice. And it would be better to tell them now than to have them find out on their own don’t ya think?”

I swallowed hard. “I guess. I can’t do it by myself though. Especially not my dad. Oh god, he’s going to murder me.” I said.

“I’m more afraid he’ll murder me…” Matt replied.

“What are you talking about? He loves you.” I said.

“Yeah. Sure.” Matt said sarcastically. “Anyway, do you want me to stay with you tonight?” he asked.

“Why?”

“I don’t know, I thought maybe you wouldn’t want to be alone.”

“Matt, I’ve been alone for the past seven days.”

“Yeah but that was before…”

“I’ll be fine.” I said, getting up and putting the dishes in the sink and started to wash them. Matt got up and grabbed a dish towel. I washed, he dried. When we were done I followed him to the front door.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?” He asked. “I could sleep on the couch…”

“I’m positive. You’re right next door. It’s not like I can’t just come get you if I need to.” I said.

“Fine. I guess I‘ll see you in the morning then.” He said, kissing my forehead and then walking out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for the pretty much pure dialog in this chapter. It'll get better.