Stay Still

“We’re giving our baby to the two of you.”

“Could you answer that?” I asked Matt when the doorbell rang. I was just pulling a pizza out of the oven.

“Yeah sure.” Matt said. He went to get the door while I set the pizza down on the counter to cool and then started to set the table. A few minutes later Matt came back into the kitchen, Jared and Acacia close behind him.

“Hey guys.” I said as Jared went straight to my fridge and got himself a can of soda.

“Hey, what about me?” Acacia asked, looking hurt.

“Aw, I’m sorry babe.” Jared said and then got her one as well. He handed it to her and then kissed her sweetly.

“Ugh, you guys make me sick.” I said, watching them. They just laughed at me and continued on with their mushiness. I continued to set the table. I was so excited about telling them but I was nervous too. I needed something to do with my hands or I was gonna go crazy. Once I was done we all sat down and started to eat.

“So, what was it you guys wanted to talk to us about?” Acacia asked after a little while.

“Where should I start?” I asked Matt. He just shrugged. “Gee thanks. That’s so helpful.” He shrugged again. “Well, I guess the best way to start would be to just say it. Matt and I... Ugh, this is harder than I thought it was going to be.” I put my head in my hands and tried to think of what to say.

“What? Are you like pregnant or something?” Jared asked. I just stared at him. “Oh my God! Are you?!”

“Well…” I trailed off.

“Holy crap! I can’t believe it! And it’s Matt’s?! Why, in God’s name, would you want to sleep with him?” Jared grinned over at Matt who glared back.

I looked over at my sister. She was looking down at her plate, trying to smile. “Yes I’m pregnant, yes it’s Matt’s but, we’re not going to keep the baby.”

Acacia’s head snapped up, “What?!” she exclaimed.

“We’re going to give it away to two people who I know are going to love and care for it as if it were their own.” I replied, grinning.

“Who?” Jared asked.

“You.”

“Who?!”

“We’re giving our baby to the two of you.” Matt told him.