Sequel: I Can't Do It Alone

Rise and Fall

Jealous Guy

Sid watched as Jocelyn danced with someone from the Steelers. He didn’t know why, but for some reason, he couldn’t help feeling jealous. He stared as the guy put his hand on the small of Jocelyn’s back, and he quickly looked away, not being able to watch any longer.

“Hi,” he heard someone chirp, and he looked to see Kylie sitting next to him.

“Hey,” he said, as he glanced back over at Jocelyn to see her smiling and laughing at the guy.

“Why aren’t you out there dancing with her instead of staring at her from your seat?” Kylie asked him as she followed his gaze to Jocelyn. “I mean, you are her date, aren’t you? Shouldn’t you be the one out there with your hands all over her?”

Sid rolled his eyes. “I’m just here as her date, nothing else,” he told her. “Which means, she can dance with whoever she wants.”

“But, you’re jealous, all the same?”

“I’m not jealous,” Sid told her. “Jocelyn’s my friend, nothing more.”

“So, you keep saying,” Kylie said. “Well, if you’re not going to dance with Jocelyn, how about dancing with me? I mean I have no date, so what do you say?”

Sid was about to say no when he looked over at Jocelyn and saw the guy start to lean in for a kiss. He looked back at Kylie, saying, “Sure, why not?”

Jocelyn stood there, wishing beyond belief that the drunk guy that currently had his hand on her back would go sit back down. She hadn’t asked him to dance with her; he just started on his own.

“I think I’m going to go back and try to find my date,” she told him as his hand began travelling lower, finally resting on her butt.

“Not yet,” the guy said, as he pulled her closer and leaned down to kiss her.

Jocelyn immediately turned her head, making his lips land on her cheek, and she took a step backwards, out of his reach. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go find my date,” she told him.

Jocelyn turned around and began walking towards the table where she had left Sid. As she approached it, she didn’t see him, and she took a seat, figuring he had gone to get a drink or something.

Jocelyn began looking out at the dance floor, and she saw the guy she was previously dancing with now dancing with one of her co-workers, who looked just as uncomfortable as Jocelyn had been.

Her gaze continued to go across the dance floor when it suddenly stopped on one couple. Upon second glance, she realized Sid was out there dancing with Kylie. How had Kylie gotten him to dance when Jocelyn couldn’t even get him to get out of his seat?

Jocelyn made her way out to them, and she tapped Kylie on the shoulder. “Do you think I could cut in?” she asked.

“Sure, no problem,” Kylie smiled as she separated from Sid and Jocelyn took her spot.

“So,” Jocelyn smiled, looking up at Sid. “How did Kylie get you to dance? I mean I couldn’t even get you out of your seat.”

“I don’t know. She apparently has good persuasive skills,” he said with a hint of attitude in his voice.

“Are you upset about something?” Jocelyn asked.

“No, why would I be upset?” he questioned.

“I don’t know,” Jocelyn said.

“Why aren’t you dancing with your boyfriend?” Sid asked her, looking out at all the other couples dancing.

“What are you talking about?” Jocelyn asked, confused. “Wait a minute. Are you talking about Todd?” she asked, referring to the guy she had been dancing with.

“Whoever that was that you were dancing with,” Sid muttered.

“Are you jealous?” Jocelyn asked, amusement in her voice.

“No,” Sid said as the song ended and he tore away from Jocelyn and walked back over to the table to sit down.

“What is your problem?” Jocelyn asked, following him to the table. “I asked you to dance, and you refused. So, I danced with someone else. In fact, you told me to dance with someone else. So, why are you so angry now?”

“I’m not angry,” he said through gritted teeth.

“And what was up with you dancing with Kylie?” Jocelyn asked.

“What? I’m not allowed to dance with someone else, but you are?” Sid asked.

“That’s not what I said,” Jocelyn told him. “I was just surprised to see you dancing with Kylie. I mean, you didn’t exactly seem to be interested in her when you talked to her earlier. And, then, when I asked you to dance, you turned me down. I was just surprised.”

“Yeah, and I was surprised to see you kissing that guy when you brought me,” Sid told her.

“Kiss? What kiss?” Jocelyn asked, confused about what he was talking about. Suddenly, she remembered when Todd had leaned in to kiss her. “I didn’t kiss Todd,” she told him.

“It sure looked like you were about to,” Sid said.

“I didn’t. I turned away and then got away from him. He’s such a creep,” she told him. “But, even if I did, what would it matter to you?” she questioned. “I mean you made it absolutely clear that this was you helping me out, not a date.”

“It’s not a date,” Sid agreed.

“And yet, you seem awfully jealous that I was dancing with Todd, even though you went and danced with Kylie,” Jocelyn pointed out.

“And now who appears to be jealous?” Sid questioned.

“Is that what you want?” Jocelyn asked. “For me to admit that I’m jealous of Kylie?” She waited for a reply, but Sid just sat there with his arms crossed. “Fine! I was jealous when I saw Kylie dancing with you,” she admitted. “Is that what you wanted to hear?”

Sid didn’t reply, and Jocelyn yelled, “Aren’t you going to say anything? Were you jealous of me dancing with Todd?”

Sid still didn’t reply, but instead, he leaned forward grabbing Jocelyn’s face and pressing his lips to hers. “Does that answer your question?” he asked as they broke apart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments??