Status: Completed

Falling Dumb Into Desire

Another Round?

"Kennedy," I whined as we made our way through the labyrinth of hallways, "my feet are killing me. I don't know if I can make it to the room."

Kennedy laughed quietly to himself before he tightened his arm around my shoulders. "And exactly what do you want me to do about it?" He teased.

Looking up at him, I gave him a cute smile before I replied, "pack me."

"Madison Jay O'Callaghan," he laughed, "I've been out there on the dance floor just as long as you have. My feet hurt too." He pointed out.

"Kennedy, please?" I asked. "Give me a piggy back ride, and save my feet the agony."

Kennedy huffed at my words, and then removed his arm from around my shoulders while slowing down. "And have mine take one for the team?" He asked, coming to a complete stop.

"Yes." I grinned.

Kennedy rolled his eyes, but did his best to suppress a smile as he wrapped an arm around my waist, and placed his other behind my knees. Seeing my hesitation, Kennedy sighed and then picked me up bridal style.

"You have a some what short dress on, Madison," he said, "if I gave you a piggy back ride, your dress would most likely ride up, and your goods would be exposed for all to see."

I wrapped an arm around his shoulders, steadying myself. "You make it sound like I'm running around commando." I joked.

A sly smile pulled across Kennedy's lips and he shrugged slightly. "You may not have been running around commando, but I don't think a thong provides much more coverage."

"Kennedy!" I gasped, "have you been checking out my ass tonight?"

"Well ... yes." He admitted. "Come on, Madison, you're pretty much the only single girl here, who's not my cousin, so of course I was going to be checking you out." He paused momentarily, giving me a thoughtful look before he added. "And plus you're my date; you should have known if you had agreed to be my date, you were also agreeing to letting me check you out."

"Kennedy." I sighed.

"Hmm?"

"You're a goof." I grinned.

Kennedy didn't reply, but rather gave me a bemused look before he came to a stop in front of the elevator doors. I shifted slightly, and then reached over with one hand to hit the 'up' arrow button. The bell dinged a split second later, and the doors opened, revealing an empty elevator. That was no surprise, though, seeing as how it was nearly 2:30 in the morning.

"What floor?" I asked as Kennedy stepped inside.

"Umm ... seventh."

I nodded my head and then hit the appropriate button before I reached back up, and wrapped my arm comfortably around Kennedy's shoulders once again. Trying to wake myself up, I took a deep breath, only to have it turn into a loud yawn, and earning a soft laugh from Kennedy.

"I'm way tired." I mumbled.

Kennedy waited for the elevator to come to a stop, and for the doors to open before he quietly replied, "I know, sweetheart."

I don't know why, but when Kennedy called me 'sweetheart', I felt my stomach jump a few inches, which was then followed by the unmistakable tingle of those troublesome butterflies. Plenty of people have called me that before ... my friends, my parents, my cousins, and my aunts and uncles. But hearing it come from Kennedy, and knowing it was directed at me ... it was different. It made me feel different, like he said it with actual meaning, rather than using it as just another name.

We fell silent the rest of the way to the room, and as soon as we reached the door, Kennedy carefully set me back on my feet before he pulled his key card out of his pocket, and then slid it into the slot. As soon as the light turned green, Kennedy opened the door and ushered me inside.

Tossing my heels aside, I went directly to the bed and collapsed on top of it. Not bothering to move, or get comfortable, I closed my eyes, and listened to the sound of the water running. After Kennedy did whatever it was he had been doing, I heard some scraping sounds, and what sounded like metal rolling around on the tile countertop.

Then, it finally occurred to me that he must have removed his watch, and was now taking off his cuff links.

"Kennedy?" I called out.

"Yeah?"

"I'm thirsty." I mumbled.

"You want me to call room service?" He asked, his voice a lot closer than it had been a few moments prior.

I opened my eyes, and found him standing just beside the bed, his jacket gone, and his tie undone. "If you have some change, I can just walk around and find a vending machine some place." I replied.

Kennedy wrinkled his nose cutely (though the look may not have been intentional), and then shook his head. "Madison, this is a five star hotel." He said. "You're not going to find any vending machines in the hallways."

"Fine." I mumbled. "I just want a small soda."

Kennedy sighed, and then reached up, running his fingers through his hair, messing it up slightly. "Madison, you might as well order up the works."

"But I'm not hungry, though." I frowned.

"No, but I am." He grinned before he stretched out on the bed beside me, and then grabbed the phone from the bedside table. He hummed a nameless tune to himself as he punched in a few buttons, and then laid back, waiting for them to answer. "What do you want to drink?" He asked me quietly.

I turned my head so that I could look up at his face, and then thought to myself. "Can you get me a Mountain Dew?" I whispered.

Kennedy reached over with his free hand and then tucked some of my curls behind my ear, "sure," he said softly before turning his full attention to the phone when someone in the kitchen answered. Kennedy quickly put in our order, and then made sure the telephone was back in its proper place before he rolled over onto his side, facing me. He stared at me, blinking slowly every few seconds before he made a weird face. "Do you need some clothes to sleep in?"

"Yes," I replied, "unless you want me to sleep in just my bra and panties."

Kennedy smiled shyly as he stood up, and then looked down at me. "Thong, not 'panties'." He corrected me with a soft laugh. "And," he paused slightly and then shook his head, "never mind ... I'm just going to keep that last part to myself."

"Are you thinking pervertedly over there, mister?" I questioned him.

"Yes." He admitted before he turned around the corner and disappeared from my view.

He returned about a minute later and then handed me a clean t-shirt and a pair of shorts. I quietly thanked him and got up to change in the bathroom. When I was done doing my stuff, I went back into the room and found that Kennedy had stripped himself of the rest of his clothes, and was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching television, wearing just his boxers.

He looked up at me when I approached, and then glanced down at his boxers before looking back up to me. "Do you mind if I parade around in my boxers?" He asked.

"I don't care, Kennedy." I replied, taking my dress and hanging it up on a hanger before I placed it in the small closet. "Besides," I added, "it gives me a change to check you out, since you were checking me out." I teased.

At my words, Kennedy blushed again, causing me to laugh in amusement.

"Kennedy Brock, what is with all the blushing tonight?" I asked. "Before tonight, I don't think I've seen you blush once."

Kennedy sighed softly as he looked up at me. "You're pretty." He replied, his voice barely above a whisper. "And tonight, I realized that I've always had a crush on you."

Slightly taken aback, it was all I could to do stare at him in response for a few seconds before I finally regained control of my senses. "What are you trying to say, Kennedy?" I asked quietly.

Kennedy took a deep breath, and then let it out in a soft sigh before he reached up and took my hand in his. "Maybe you should sit down." He suggested. I did as I was told, all the while keeping my eyes locked with Kennedy's. Seeing that I was settled in, he continued, "I had a lot of fun with you tonight. And," he paused slightly, shaking his head, "I'm sorry ... My mind seems to be all jumbled right now." He mumbled.

"It's fine." I whispered.

Kennedy reached up with his free hand and ran a hand tiredly across his face before turning his full attention back to me. "I don't know whether or not the best thing for me is to get involved in another relationship, so soon after getting out of a different one." He said slowly. "But, fuck it; I may not get another chance at this. Madison, will you be my girlfriend?" He whispered.

"Kennedy, I," I hesitated slightly, thinking things though carefully before I replied, "I really like you too. But ... I don't know if I'd make a good girlfriend for you." I mumbled.

"How so?"

"I'm hesitant about giving my heart over to someone else," I whispered, "sometimes it seems like I'm closed off from everyone else. I put up my defenses whenever someone tries to get too close."

Kennedy gave me a sad look and then reached up, placing his free hand on my cheek. "You've been hurt." He pointed out. "Many times before by many different people. We've all been hurt at one point or another, Madison. I've been hurt too, you know. I get defensive sometimes too, but I'm right here, asking you to be my girlfriend. Right now I'm vulnerable to you," he shrugged his shoulders, "if you turn me down, I'm probably gonna be pretty hurt." He lightened the mood a bit when a small smile crossed his lips. "Not trying to guilt you into saying yes." He insisted.

"If I say yes, you're not going to dump me the second I try and shut you out, are you?" I asked hesitantly.

"Of course not." He whispered.

I bit my lip slightly before I slowly nodded my head. "Alright." I said quietly. "I'll be your girlfriend."

At my words, a smile spread across his handsome face before he leaned over and pressed his lips to mine. Taking his time, Kennedy made sure that I wouldn't be forgetting our first kiss any time soon.

I hoped that we weren't rushing into this relationship; I don't think either one of us can handle another round of heartache.