All I Want Is You

You can be sure, things will only get better.

The huge room that Ada had booked for the reception was hot and stuffy. It was packed with bodies, mostly at the tables that circled the perimeter of the room. All eyes were on Jackson and I, because we had just walked in.

First on the list of things to do was having our first dance. Kellan had taken charge as MC for the night and his booming voice came over the microphone to announce.

“Okay everyone. Simmer down! Thanks for coming, enjoy the food, enjoy the drinks, except for you Lizzie!” Everyone laughed, including me.

“It’s time for the first dance. Clear the floor guys and girls!” He announced, putting the microphone back in the stand and joining the others at a table.

The song I had chosen began playing over the speakers. No One, by Alicia Keys. It was one of my favourites. Jackson smiled and took my hand, pulling me closer to him. He rested his hands on my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck as we swayed clumsily to the music.

“This is harder when there’s someone between us.” He chuckled softly.

“Pip is offended.” I laughed.

We didn’t say much after that, we just danced until the song was over. When we parted we sat at the big table at the front of the room. People chatted excitedly around us, and the caterers brought around the food.

“Did we get any ice cream?” I asked Ada. “I really want ice cream!” I added loudly.

“Calm down. I bought enough Chunky Monkey to do a country full of pregnant women. I’ll go get some.” She said, standing up from the table.

“Thanks!” I called after her.

“Lizzie, eat something decent before you have ice cream.” My mother said from across the table, like I was still a child. “What you eat in the womb can contribute to patterns of unhealthy eating later in life!”

“Mother. If I want Chunky Monkey, I will have Chunky Monkey!” I said, but then a speared a noodle on my plate and shoved it in my mouth.

“You okay, you’re not getting tired are you?” Jackson asked.

“No, I’m fine.” I lied. In truth, I was exhausted and I just wanted to go back to the hotel and sleep.

“There won’t be any sleeping tonight!” Rob said, winking at Jackson.

“Shut up.” I said, reaching across the table to hit him.

“Ow! Lizzie, that wasn’t very nice!” he said, mock pain in his voice.

The rest of the evening went on like that. There was more dancing, more eating and more talking.

It was getting late and people were starting to leave when Ashley came up to me.

“You have to throw the bouquet!” She said. “Quick before everyone leaves!”

“Okay, Okay!” I said, and I stood up.

I watched as Ashley ran to the microphone. “Time to throw the bouquet!” She hollered into the microphone.

I was immediately surrounded by a babbling group of women. I turned my back on the group and tossed the bouquet lightly over my shoulders. I heard a scramble behind me and then a gasp.

I turned around to see the bouquet resting in Ada’s outstretched hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hehehhe!