All I Want Is You

I call it love.

Airports were not fun. I seemed to forget this every time I travelled, especially after being in Vancouver for over a month. But Jackson was finished his scenes in the movie, and we had to fly back to LA. I was 4 and half months pregnant, and had missed my four month appointment.

It was two weeks after the wedding. The media knew now. It wasn’t a big deal to most outlets, just the Twilight websites or Jackson fan sites.

When we landed in LAX, I was immediately struck by how hot it was in LA compared to Vancouver. I was sweating by the time got to the car. I was at the point where everything was starting to get uncomfortable. I couldn’t sleep at night, I had heartburn all the time and my back ached constantly.

Not to mention the little flutters I had been feeling for a few days. I knew that it was the baby, and I knew no one could feel it from the outside. I told Jackson anyways, and he had spent hours trying to feeling the tiny flutters. Until I went online and read that he wouldn’t be able to feel the baby move for about 2 more months.

..............

“It’s too warm in LA!” I whined as we drove towards the doctor’s office. We were getting a 3D sonogram today. Of course Ada made us promise to get extra pictures for her to see when she came home next week. She had decided to stay in Vancouver to wait for Rob to finish.

Jackson shook his head and cranked the air conditioning in the car. There was no sense in trying to tell me it wasn’t warm. I would just get crankier, and he knew it.

“I’m excited.” He said instead. And he was. He talked to everyone who would listen about the baby. As we pulled into the parking lot of the doctor’s office, the only thing I felt was warm. I would be excited when I seen the baby, but for now, I was just looking forward to the air-conditioned office.

“Oh, the Rathbone’s!” Doctor Robin said, meeting us the door. We were as close to celebrity clients as she got, and she treated us like royalty.

We smiled and hugged her before she led us into her office, bypassing the waiting room full of people. I felt bad that all these women were waiting, but most of them just stared in awe as we walked by. But I was pretty sure one of them was wearing a Twilight shirt. We would no doubt be the talk of the office as soon as Doctor Robin shut the door behind us.

“How have you been feeling Lizzie?” Doctor Robin asked as I perched on the edge of the exam table.

“Good, I guess. I’m starting to have trouble getting comfortable. I’m getting a lot of heartburn, and gaining a lot of weight.” I said, rambling off my current list of problems. Jackson sat in the chair beside me.

“All the things you’re describing are very normal at this point. I’m going to measure you and then we’ll do the sonogram.” She said, smiling as she pulled out her tape. She measured my stomach, tracking my growth and the growth of the baby.

“You’re a little on the small side, but that’s okay. You were thin before right?” She asked, flipping through her chart and making little notes.

“Small?” I questioned. I was not small by any terms.

“Yes Lizzie. Although it may seem different to you, you aren’t actually very big. And you are gaining weight anywhere else yet. Most women would be jealous of you.” She said, chuckling and jotting down some more notes.

The thought of being called “small” at this point baffled me. But I just nodded my head and made a mental note to buy some pregnancy books. I should know this stuff.

“Okay, you ready to see your baby?” She asked, looking at Jackson and I.

“Yes, of course.” Jackson said, the excitement clear in his voice. It was contagious, because I started getting really excited too.

I lay back on the table, lifting my shirt. “This is going to be cold.” Doctor Robin said, squeezing the blue gel on my stomach.

Then the most amazing thing ever popped up on the screen. A blurry brownish coloured image of our baby displayed on the screen. Their tiny hand was flexing back and forth. I could feel the tears fall down my cheeks. Jackson squeezed my hand and I looked over at him. He was smiling like a kid at Christmas.

“And now for the heartbeat.” Doctor Robin said quietly, trying not to ruin the moment.

Hearing your baby’s heartbeat is amazing. We recorded a bit on my cell phone to share with our friends.

“Everything looks great you guys. Do you have any questions?” She asked, printing out our pictures as she spoke.

I shook my head, still in awe. Jackson helped me up and the doctor handed us the pictures. She hugged us both and gave us our next appointment card and a list of books we should read.

We left the office hand in hand, heading off to the bookstore.