All I Want Is You

In the ABC's of growing up.

“What do we do now? Do you need a wheelchair? Can you walk?” Rob asked, his voice
tense with nerves. We had just pulled up in front of Cedars Sinai hospital.

“I’m having a baby, Rob. I haven’t lost a limb.” I sighed and pushed the car door open,
sitting still while I weathered another contraction.

“Okay, right, right.” He said, coming around to my side of the car, my hospital bag in his
arms. I was grateful he was there, and he really was trying to take charge. He took my
hands and pulled me slowly from the car.

“Has Ada messaged you yet?” I asked as closed the car door.

“No.” he said. My god, he was more worked up than I was.

“Okay. I can walk, but it’s difficult. Give me your arm.” I said. My voice was probably
harsher than it should have been but Rob clearly needed to be commanded in this
situation.

He looked at me, blinking a few times, before holding out his arm. I took and smiled,
patting his arm gently.

“See, we’re going to be just fine.”

He looked at me like I had just told him he was on fire. Clearly, he didn’t think this was
going well at all.

We walked into the hospital. I dragged Rob along to the reception area. I had to stop
once along the way. His face turned pale and his eyes went wide. I tried my best not to
squeeze his arm. That would only make this worse.

I walked up to the lady at the desk. “I'm in labor.” I announced. She smiled up at us.

“Well, congratulations. Now, we'll have to get Dad to fill out some paperwork.” She
said, handing a very confused Rob a clipboard full of paper.

“Oh, I'm not the father.” He said.

“Oh.” She smiled at us, a look of understanding crossing her face.

“No, I mean, I'm the godfather. Oh Jesus, I sound like Al Pacino. She has a husband,
he's at a meeting. He left his phone at home. We're having someone look for him.” Rob
rambled on.

“Oh, I'm so sorry.” The lady said, handing me the clipboard instead.

“Could I get your name please?” She asked.

“Elizabeth Rathbone.” I answered, continuing my scribbling on the paper. These were
the most ridiculous questions I had ever answered.

“Oh, Oh!” She said. She clearly recognized the name.

“Mrs. Rathbone! I am so sorry. I'll get you a room right away. You're with Doctor Robin,
right?” She asked, already dialing a number on the phone.

I nodded my head, grateful for once that I had been recognized.

After a few moments on the phone, the lady hung up. Seconds later a gaggle of excited nurses came around the corner.

One of them was pushing a wheelchair. “Really, I can walk.” I said as they approached
me. They didn't listen. I was pushed down in the chair. They started pushing me down
the hall when I realized Rob wasn't with me.

“Robert!” I hollered. They all stopped and looked at him, finally realizing who was with
me. Rob got that deer in headlights look as all the nurses started chattering excitedly.

“You have to come with me!” I cried. His eyes widened and he shook his head.

“Nothing is happening yet! I'm not going to lay there alone!” I said sternly. He looked behind him. A group of girls were approaching him. I guess he decided coming with me was better than being attacked my fangirls in the middle of a hospital, because he quickly strode down the hallway after me.

Twenty five minutes later, we still hadn't heard from anyone. It was okay though, because I apparently had “a long road ahead of me” according to the nurse who had examined me.

Rob was pacing back and forth at the end of the bed, his phone in his hands.

“Dear god, can you stay still for a few minutes please?” I asked. I was trying to concentrate on acting like I wasn't in pain. I didn't need to freak him out anymore than he already was. It was getting harder and harder not to at least cry.

“Sorry.” He said, but he only stopped moving for a few seconds before beginning his pacing again.

“Why are you so nervous?” I asked. I was becoming increasing irritable, and I really wanted Jackson to get here.

“I'm not nervous.” Rob answered quickly.

“Bullshit.”

He just smiled nervously and shook his head, finally deciding to sit in the chair by my bed.

“Do you need anything?” He asked. I smiled. At least he was trying.

“No. I'm fine. Thank you for doing this. I know you aren't really enjoying this.”

He chuckled. “I'm not much help.”

“True.” I giggled. He shook his head again. Another contraction began, and it was much worse than the last. I groaned in pain, causing Rob to jump like he'd just been shocked.

This went on for another hour. We didn't talk much, we just waited for someone to show up. I had just finished another contraction when I heard the door swing open. I looked up and couldn't help but smile.

Standing in the doorway, with Ada by his side, looking worried and disheveled, was Jackson.