All I Want Is You

Chloe likes Uncle Rob's singing.

ADA’S POV

In our effort to help Lizzie get through her problems, Rob and I had agreed to take Chloe for the day. As we left the house, Chloe sleeping silently in her car seat, I began to feel nervous. I loved Chloe, but I had never really looked after a baby before.

“What wonderful practice for Breaking Dawn.” Rob said sarcastically.

Little did he know I was catching his glances in the rear view mirror. He would never admit it, but he loved Chloe to death. We both did, but not enough to convince us we would ever have a child of our own. Babysitting Chloe would satisfy our needs.

“Ha. Last time I checked, Chloe didn’t crave blood or show you her thoughts.” I rolled my eyes and turned to look at Chloe. Her round green eyes were open now, trying to focus on who she was with. She had the cuteness expression on her face, as if she realized she wasn’t with her parents.

“Hey baby girl.” I said, using my baby voice, which made Rob roll his eyes and smile. We pulled up to our apartment and Rob jumped out to get Chloe. We had hardly sat the car seat down when she started crying. It was soft at first , but soon the cry became loud and shrill.

“It’s okay, shh.” I whispered, holding her against me and patting her back.

“Jesus! How can something that little be so loud?!” Rob yelled over her crying. She stopped for a second, looking at him, before crying again, even louder if that was possible.

“Look what you did! You made her mad!” I said, still holding Chloe.

“You can’t make a baby mad Ada! Maybe she’s hungry?” He suggested, his eyes were wild with nervousness.

“Check the diaper bag, when is she supposed to eat?” I was starting to become frantic.

“Not until ten thirty! It’s only nine!” He shouted, clawing through the diaper bad for any further instructions.

“Oh Chloe, please stop crying.” I rubbed her tiny back, quietly humming. Her screams grew even louder.

“What are you doing to her?” Rob shouted.

“Nothing!! She just keeps crying!” I pulled gently on Chloe’s sleeper, trying to see if she needed changed. Her diaper was empty.

“Do something Ada!”

“What am I suppose to do!” I started pacing back in forth, the still frantic baby in my arms. “You take her!” I yelled back at him.

He shook his head, and backed away.

“Don’t be a wimp! Take the baby!” I held out the crying baby. He took her awkwardly in his arms.

“And what do you suppose I do now?” He said frantically.

“I don’t know. Talk to her, sing to her, do something! Talk to her about politics! Just try something.” I shouted back, then I ran down the hall to the washroom. How did Jackson and Lizzie do this everyday?

When I opened the bathroom door a few minutes later, complete silence met me. For a minute I was relieved, but then I realized I had left Rob alone with a baby.

When I entered the room Rob was sitting on the sofa, Chloe still cradled in his arms. She was asleep and I stared at Rob, wide eyed.

“What did you do?” I whispered.

He smiled and shook his head. “She quite enjoys the last part of ‘Never Think’. I think she’s the first person to actually enjoy my singing.” He chuckled.

“You sang to her?” I asked to clarify what I had just heard.

He nodded his head and gently laid Chloe in the playpen Jackson and Lizzie had sent for her to sleep in.

“Isn’t she adorable?” I whispered, standing over the playpen. It almost made me want one. As if he had read my mind Rob looked over at me.

“Don’t even think about it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks everyone!