The Mysteries of the Common Life

Chapter One

I walked carefully down the steps of our house, not to wake up my father. I went to get a pair of leggings and a dress, because my father's boss was coming over to see him and so was his 3 sons.

Let me clear some things up, my father, Ronald Wayne Hudson, works as a doctor at the local Dallas hospitial. My mother, Betsy Marie Hudson, is a nurse at the same hospitial. Let's just say I'm a very healthy 17 year old.

My name is Autumn Faith Hudson. I am a 17 year old clutz. I'm always hurt or about to be hurt. I've gotten to where if I don't fall for a good 3 days, then I know something is wrong.

I attend the local high school, and I get made fun of repeatedly. I've never bothered standing up for myself, because people there don't accept creative people who don't follow the crowd. I've found I don't fit in and never will.

I grabbed my clothes out of the hamper of clean clothes I have yet to put up and ran to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and dried off afterwards.

I wanted to make a good impression on whoever was coming to visit my father, because in our household ''good impressions can change the world''.

I got dressed in my black leggings and blue dress. It was sleeveless, and had black lace on it. I then put my make up on, quickly. My father knocked on the bathroom door about an hour later. I began to straighten my shoulder length red hair. My hair looked like Hayley Williams. I loved it.

"My boss will be here in about 15 minutes. Please finish, me and your mother will be waiting in the living room. Come join us when you finish," he said. I nodded and he ruffled my hair a bit, where I hadn't straightened yet.

I finished straightening my hair, and put on jewlery and a pair of black ballet flats. Usually, my idea of 'dress nice' is a pair of skinny leg jeans (that aren't ripped) and a band tee shirt. But I felt the need to look nice tonight, because this guy was the big deal for my dad.

I sprayed a bit of my Sweet Pea body spray on myself, then turned the lights out in the bathroom, then walked down the stairs to the living room. My mother, dressed in a not-so-elegant-but-still-adorable-dress, and my father in a pair of black pants and a polo. Men had it so easy.

"Autumn," my mother said, standing up and walking in the direction of the kitchen,"Will you help me until your father's boss arrives?"

"Yes," I said walking into the kitchen.

"Can you make cookies," she said, sliding me the cookie dough. I began to make circular shapes and put them on a pan.

After I finished, I put them in the oven for 7 minutes. I leaned on the countertop, eating a little bit of cookie dough because I couldn't resist.

"Be careful not to get anything on your outfit. I think you and the eldest son are..."

"Mom, not to be rude, but I don't want to keep my fingers crossed until I meet the boy. I don't even know his name!" I said, sorta laughing. She chuckled too, then we heard the doorbell.

I heard my father open the door, then some mumbling and hand shaking.

"Well let's go meet my family," my father said, leading them to the kitchen.

'Why am I nervous?" I asked myself in my head,"I shouldn't be! It's just like any other family I see out on the street! I don't know the people, and I'm nervous of what they think of me! I've never felt this way in my entire living!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? I've got 4 chapters.