Because You Loved Me

3

[c]LPOV[/c]
I just stood there, waiting for her to say something.
But she didn’t. She stared at me.
After a couple of minutes of the awkward silence, she spoke.
“Hello Luke.” She continued to stare at me with those dazzling blue eyes.
“Hi Mia.” I replied, blinking back the tears that were longing to stream from my eyes.
John walked over to the window, grabbed a chair, and brought it to the bed.
He looked at me, with tears still in his eyes, and waved me over.
I walked over and sat in the chair he was ushering me to.
Mia looked at her mother, and then turned her head back to me.
“You’re my best friend.” She said. “We grew up together.”
The tears I was fighting so hard to keep in, slipped out of my eyes.
“I was your best friend. Not anymore.” I corrected.
She looked back at Kim with confusion on her face.
Turning back to me she asked questioningly, “Was? Why aren’t you my best friend anymore?”
I can’t believe that she can’t remember anything.
“Well, you grew up. You became popular, and you wanted popular friends.”
I winced at the memory.
A sad look mixed with surprise suddenly appeared on her angelic face.
“But you’re so handsome! You aren’t popular?” She tilted her head to the side. Something she always does when she’s confused.
I laughed. As did John and Kim.
“Thank you for the compliment. But no, I’m not popular. I am the opposite of that.”
I touched my purity ring with my right hand and twisted it around my finger.
“Oh.” The confusion had left her face, but the sadness was still there.
I stopped playing with my ring and I crossed my arms on Mia’s bed, placing my head on top.
I decided that I would change the topic. But right when I opened my mouth to speak, she said something.
“I’m sorry, Luke.” She stared deep into my eyes.
“Why Mia? There is no reason for you to be sorry. You did nothing wrong.” I stared back into her hypnotizing eyes.
Looking down at her hands, she answered me. “I’m sorry that I dumped you as a friend. I don’t know you too well, but you seem like a nice person. That’s why I’m sorry.” She looked up and into my eyes.
“Don’t worry about it. I’m fine.” I smiled weakly.
She smiled slightly in reply to mine.
“Now.” I started, changing the subject. “How are you feeling?”
She sighed and rolled her eyes.
“I feel as if I just got hit by a car.”
I laughed. “No, really. How do you feel?”
The sound of the door opening stopped her from answering me.
John stood up from his chair and walked to the door.
“Hello Dr. Williams.” I heard John say behind me.
I turned around to see a tall, dark haired man walk in the room.
“Hello Mr. Davidson.” He walked over to the bed. “Hello Mia. How do you feel?”
She smiled at Dr. Williams. “I’m feeling ok.”
He sat down on the foot of the bed. “So, you don’t remember anything?” He asked.
She shook her head. “No, I don’t. But I hear that these are my parents.” She pointed to John and Kim. “And this is my best friend, Luke.” She smiled at me.
I smiled back.
“I see.” He pulled out a clipboard and wrote something down.
“So, what’s wrong? Why can’t she remember anything? And will she ever get her memory back?” Kim asked hopefully.
“Don’t worry Mrs. Davidson. This is perfectly normal. She hit her head during the crash, and is having slight memory loss. She will gain her memory in a day or two.” He assured Kim.
I looked at Mia and smiled.
She looked thrilled at the news. “Thank the Lord! So I will start remembering things in a day or two?”
The Doctor smiled. “Yes, definitely.”
“That’s great. Thank you Doctor.” Kim said gratefully.
“Alright, I will leave alone. Just call me if you need anything.” Dr. Williams stood up and left the room.
Even though my dear, sweet, Mia couldn’t remember anything about me, I was just thankful she was alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for writing this with me, Sarah!

If you like this story, you'll love our other stories, so go check them out!!