Mute

Why do you do this to me?

John's car stuck out like a sore thumb. It was a car that anyone in this small town would dream of driving. The black exterior was so shiny. It looked as if it was brand new. He was smiling casually for no reason. He drove a Ford Mustang GT, convertible.The exterior painted black, with a black convertible hood. The windows were tinted. It was practically my dream car.

We started coming closer to his car. He held his hands in his front pockets. His long arm bumping softly into my arm every couple of steps. His gentle touch made me shake. Even if the casual touch was just, accidental. He took one hand out of his pocket, pulling a key with it. The car honked at us, indicating that it was now unlocked.

Instead of heading towards the driver side, he walked to the passenger side along with me. We stood next to each other, not staring at each other. In a somewhat awkward situation. He pulled the handle, and opened the door for me. I looked towards his face, he smiled. Heat over took my face. I couldn't help it I was blushing. Barely letting a smile escape my lips.

He closed the door, and slid across the hood as if he was in "The Dukes of Hazard." The car started with a loud roar. Music blared through the speakers.

"I'm fallin' in love
But it's fallin' apart.
I need to find my way back to the start.
When we were in love.
Oh things were better than they are--"


John reaches over and quickly turns the music off. His eyes lingered over towards mine. There was something about him. The voice on the stereo sounded almost like John. Couldn't be sure though.

His eyes laid on mine. Sparkling more then they had in school. He smiles, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Did you like that song?" His question caught me off guard. It did sound good though. My head shook slightly up and down. He smiled at my answer.

"That is my demo. I'm actually in a band." John O'callaghan was in a band. That seemed so right.

"Were trying to make it big. Moving to California when I graduate." His gaze moved to the front window. He changed gears and left the school in his dust.

* * * * *

My car stuck out like a sore thumb. Not just because it was the only car left in a parking lot, but this town didn't have many fast cars. Sun glistened off of the shiny hood. For the strangest reason I felt like smiling.

We were getting closer to my car. My hands placed in my front pockets. My arm grazed gently against Cecily's arm. Giving me goosebumps. Every few steps more and more goosebumps appeared. My hand dug in my pocket pulling out my car key. The car honks at us both, indicating that it is now unlocked.

Instead of heading towards the driver side, I walk to the passenger side along with her. We stood next to each other, not staring at each other. In a somewhat awkward situation. I pull the handle, and open the door for her. She looks towards my face, I smile. A nice shade of pink covers her cheeks. Her eyes glisten. Her long red hair blows softly in the wind. Her shampoo smells like coconut, and it makes me smile.

I close the door softly after she steps in. Then I decide to try to impress her, and I slide across the hood of my car. Acting like the "Dukes of Hazard." The engine revs up with a loud roar. Music blares through my speakers. My bands demo.

"I'm fallin' in love
But it's fallin' apart.
I need to find my way back to the start.
When we were in love.
Oh things were better than they are--"


I reach over and quickly turn the music off. My eyes linger over towards hers. She gave me the look that made me feel sick. Her studying face.

"Did you like that song?" My voice barely squeaks. She looked at me, as if she was lost. She nods her head yes. Giving me butterflies, for the oddest reason.

"That is my demo. I'm actually in a band." Her eyes became wide. Then she shyly smiled at me. Why was I telling her all of this?

"Were trying to make it big. Moving to California when I graduate." I decided I should leave it at that, and take her home. Then I could go see my band.

Driving out of the parking lot, leaving the school in my dust.