All You Need is a Love Manual

If only...

“Yeah, well?”

“Yeah well what?”

She looked Lucas in the eye and sighed, throwing her hands down at her sides, an exasperated look taking over her features. He never seemed to understand anything that was going on with her these days.

“Nothing. Just forget it.” Lisa-Marie turns, heading for the exit.

“Lili, don’t be like this. Tell me, what’s wrong?” Lucas reaches out, grabbing Lisa’s hands into his as he slowly backs up to the kitchen table, sitting down on the edge of it. They had been together for three blissful years and just bought an apartment in the San Fernando Valley.

She moves her head from side to side, small tears threatening to escape from her spring colored eyes. “It just feels like we’ve been drifting apart.” Lisa-Marie whines, looking into her husband’s eyes, the tears not yet falling.

Lucas hugs her to his chest, swaying back and forth on the table. “Oh baby, don’t cry.” The tears well over and start pouring down Lisa’s face uncontrollably; leaving wet trails on her alabaster cheeks. He brings her into his lap and they sit on the kitchen table swaying.

**

It’s been two week since Lisa-Marie and Lucas had their heart-to-heart in the kitchen and Lili has been feeling great. Lucas’ bumped up his game in all departments and any doubt about their relationship has been erased from her mind. She’s wandering around the new apartment picking up cups, clothes, and CDs while gabbing with her friend Macy.

“Well, you know, it’s been better.” Macy coos from the other end of the receiver.

“That’s good.” Lisa says absent mindedly, nodding her head. She looks curiously at a piece of fabric shoved behind their couch. Bending down at the waist, she picks up an alien T-shirt and uncrumbles it.

“Are you still listening?” Macy questions, a nagging tone in her voice.

“No.” Lisa answers bluntly, staring at the yellow “Blondes Do It Better” tee. She blanches, slowly sitting down on the couch beside her. “This isn’t my shirt.” She mumbles, brushing her hair out of her face, still clutching the baby tee.

“What?” Macy queries, her voice showing her confusion.

“This isn’t my shirt, Macy.” Lisa-Marie articulates, throwing said shirt across the room, angrily watching it float to the floor halfway between her and the opposite wall.

“Oookay… Oh! I’ll be there in a sec.” With that, the line goes dead. Lisa puts her head in her hands, tossing her cell phone unto the cushion next to her, and groans. Shortly after, she stands, straightening her sweat-shirt and fixing a determined expression unto her face. After taking a few deep breathes and walking some of the anxiety out, there’s a knock at the door.

Lisa flings herself at the door, throwing it open and collapsing into her best friend’s arms. Macy awkwardly walks the two of them back into the apartment and closes the door with her foot while Lisa clings to her. “Can I see the shirt?” she asks, still holding onto Lisa comfortingly.

Without another word, they detach and head into the living room. Lisa-Marie merely stares down at the shirt grief and resentment mixing in her eyes. Macy walks to her side and stares down at it as well, a hand poised on her hip.

“There’s only one way to deal with this. Come with me, Lili.” She gestures with her other hand for Lisa-Marie to follow her to Lucas and Lisa’s bedroom.

**

The papers were signed, the apartment was emptied, and Lucas already had a floozy on his arm. That fateful day at their apartment had ended beyond faultily. Lucas coming home early, expecting Lisa-Marie to be out shopping with Macy, as originally planned, with a blonde that can, apparently, “do it better”, was not a good start. You can imagine his shock when he and his escort found Lisa silently sitting on their bed, typing away on her lap top. You can imagine her surprise to see her husband of three years fall through the open door of their bedroom, lips locked with some big chested blonde.

If only they made love manuals.