How to Fall in Love: For Dummies

Jake Mountain's Guide to Girls and Life in General

Tip #1: Pay attention to the wet floor signs.

‘Cause if you slip and fall, not only will you look like a general idiot but it could also land you into trouble. And believe me, trouble and public humiliation is not what you’ll be looking for on your first day of high school, in a new town, with tons of new kids.
I should know.
You’d figure, especially for a new kid like me, they’d give us a little breathing room and let us get used to the school and the hallways and help us find everything, right? Wrong. Instead, I was forced to find my locker, get all my books, and scramble down the hallways to my next class, all in a matter of two minutes. The bell had rung and I was running as fast as I could down south hall and I didn’t even notice it.
I slammed into the stupid wet floor sign, sliding down the hall on my butt. I had completely forgotten about all my books but by now that was the last thing on my mind. I finally skidded to a stop the end of the hall, crashing into a pair of chocolate UGG boots and dark wash skinny jeans (I have a sister, that’s how I know all this).
“Oh, gosh, hi.” The girl said, looking down at my face which was currently buried in her knee. She helped me up and I looked at her. She was shorter than me but still lanky, with legs that went on for miles. Her blond hair fell perfectly to her shoulders and as I stared at her hazel eyes I noticed the freckles across her nose. The only word that came to mind was beautiful.
I guess I had been staring for a while. “Um, excuse me.” She asked. “Who are you?”
“Oh, um, hi, I’m Jake. I’m new here.”
She smiled and I glanced at her perfectly straight pearly whites. “I’m Rach. Well, Rachel obviously, but Rach. And I had a feeling you were new,” she started walking towards my mess. “I haven’t seen you here before.”
“Yeah,” I followed her and started to pick up my stuff. “I’m from Florida. Daytona Beach area, really.”
“Well then, you’ll have a lot to get used to here in Massachusetts…it’s different than beach life. What brought you here anyways?”
Rach handed me the last of my things and we stood awkwardly in the hallway while I thought of an answer. “My mom’s job.”
There, that wasn’t a complete lie. “Oh, cool, what does she do?”
“She…uh…she…” I hesitated. I started to say something about a therapist/college professor…aka I had no clue where I was going with this. Which wasn’t a big deal, because apparently the principal, who was strolling down South hall, knew exactly where she was going with us.
“Office, now!”