Down and Out

prologue.

There’s a crackling on the other end, and then a voice. Her voice. My heart aches at the very sound of it, but I keep listening. When I found her half of the bed cold this morning, I knew she’d finally run for it. I knew she’d finally gone, just like I’d always known she would.

“H-hey Will. I’m guessing by the time you’re listening to this, you already hate me, and that’s okay. Cause I hate m-me too,” the recording said. She sounded so broken. He wanted to help her, but he knew she’d never let him in again. He’d probably never see her again. His heart panged at the thought. “Anyways, I’m sorry for leaving. I-I just, I dunno. I couldn’t handle it anymore. You were too good for me, you always were and you know it.” His hands shook, and he reached with his free hand into his jacket pocket for a pack of cigarettes. He murmured under his breath, knowing she couldn’t hear him. “Please don’t call me, I don’t think I would be able to leave you again if you found me, and that’s what has to happen. I’m sorry. I love you.” Click. That was the end. Probably the last words he would ever hear from her beautiful lips. And it was just a recording. The automated voice rang in his ear “Would you like to delete this message?” He quickly, carefully pressed no. He would never let this piece of her go. It was all he had left.

His pretty face contorted into a mask of utter sadness. His lean body crumpled into a sobbing heap on his now empty bed. He could feel her absence, the lack of love and light in his life. He had worked so hard on keeping her alive, he’d forgotten about himself. And now he had no one to take care of him.