Sometimes Resisting Is Easier Than Giving In

23

I tapped my pen on the table as I barely picked my lunch that I had packed before I left Alex’s this morning. I was trying to catch up on homework that I had missed the day before due to staying in bed all day with Alex, but I couldn’t.
He had to be waking up soon if he wasn’t awake yet and I knew he was going to wake up alone. That worried me. What would he think the moment he woke? I should have left him a note or something?
As soon as I gave up on my homework my phone started ringing. I fished it out of my bag and looked at the caller ID. It was the home number for Alex and Rian’s place.
“Hey.” I answered.
“You left.” Alex accused from the other side of the line.
“Sorry, but I had to.”
“I know, school and all that. I miss you though.”
“I was worrying about you.”
“Why me? Is there a monster in my closet I should worry about?” He laughed.
“Well, if Jack came over then I would be checking your closet, otherwise no. I was worried because I didn’t want you to think I ditched you and was messing with you again. I just didn’t want you to wake up alone.”
“Awe, that’s sweet.” The smile in his voice was evident.
“I’m not going to lie, it feels weird to say that.”
“Why? Because you never thought you’d say that to me?”
“No, because I never have said that to anyone.”
There was silence on the other end. I hoped that wasn’t in some way the wrong thing to say.
“Really?” He finally said in a slightly higher pitched voice than normal.
“Yea.” I said feeling my cheeks blush.
“Oh wow. I’m blushing right now.” Alex laughed at himself.
“Funny thing is, I am too.”
He giggled.
“Is Sebastian there?”
“Nah, he followed Rian into the backyard to swim I think.”
“Oh, he was following me when I was getting ready for school. I hope you don’t mind that I used you food to make a lunch that I’ve been neglecting to eat because I’ve been trying to catch up.” I said looking at my mostly untouched lunch.
“Eat it and I wont be mad. I promise.”
“I will. I’m getting out the cookies right now.” I laughed.
“Do you have a lot of work to catch up on?” Alex asked keeping the conversation going.
“It’s not bad. Darren gave me some notes and stuff that I missed, and they’re helping.”
“Mmm. That was nice of him.”
It was probably not a good idea to bring up the idea that I was at school with Darren, my ex, and away from Alex, my now boyfriend. He didn’t say anything and I knew he was mulling that over in his mind.
“Just remember Alex, he dumped me.”
“Yea, I know.”
“That means that he’s not interested in me anymore.” I hinted.
“Not according to Jack, that wasn’t the reason.”
“Don’t even worry about it Alex, I’m with you and that’s it. No competition.”
“Is it because I’m the heartthrob of millions of teenage girls out there?”
“Yea, because I just enjoy taking you for my own and breaking all their hearts.” I rolled my eyes and laid the sarcasm on thick.
“I knew it!” Alex laughed.
“I’ve got to go Alex. Class is going to start soon.”
He groaned like it was the worst thing ever.
“This is my last class of the day.”
“Come over after?” He asked.
“I’ve still got today’s homework.” I said unsure.
“I’ll be good… mostly.”
“Okay, because I knew you’ll die without me.”
“I will.”
“Bye.”
“I love you.”
I giggled and waited until I heard him hang up the phone. Just as I was finishing up the last of my lunch quickly Darren sat across from me.
“Talking to a boyfriend?” He asked causally.
I knew he was joking with me but I decided to answer truthfully.
“Yea, I was.”
“That quick? That hurts a little.”
“Hey, you’re the one who dumped me.”
“Who’s the lucky guy then?” He asked seemingly not believing me.
“Well I listened to what you said, and to what Court said, and Rian, and Zack, and decided that you guys were right. Alex and I have been together since Sunday night.”
“Oh, wow. That’s cool.” He said a little shocked.
“Yea, but we have to get to class.” I said standing up and tossing my trash out.
I started off in the direction of the last class we had together and didn’t care if he was following. I couldn’t hear him behind me so maybe he was still sitting at the table shocked. I don’t see why he would be shocked though; I just did what he had said.
Class was not interesting at all. It was a movie day and I had no interest so I texted Alex though the whole two hour class period. Darren was watching my every move to see if I was happy with what was going on between Alex and I. He must have been disappointed that he was right because I was very happy texting him.
I gathered my things at the bell and started on my way out. A hand gripped my shoulder and I turned around to look at who it was. I kind of figured it was Darren just form the pressure and the placement.
Sure enough he was standing there with a bit of a confused expression hinting in his features. I waited patiently for him to say something.
“Good luck with Alex, I’m glad that… that you listened to what everyone was saying.”
That must have hurt for him to say.
“Thanks.” I smiled.
“See you later Emmeline.”
“Bye Darren.” I said turning away and walking off.
How come someone always was hurting when I was involved? It was like the universe was upset if everyone that I knew was happy all at once. Darren would get over me soon enough though. After all he was the one that dumped me.
Alex was outside in the front yard with Sebastian when I got to his place. Sebastian knew me by my car and Alex had to pick him up so he didn’t go running into the street. Once I was on the sidewalk Alex put Sebastian down and he ran towards me.
“Hi puppy!” I exclaimed bending down to pet him.
He jumped at me and tried to lick my face but was just out of reach. I stood up to look at Alex who was walking over to me. When he saw that I was waiting for him and Sebastian was more interested in the bugs in the grass, he ran at me and tackled me down.
I screeched and laughed in surprise as we landed on the soft ground. Sebastian ran over barking at Alex for dragging me down. As soon as I patted Sebastian he knew it was okay and went back to chasing the bugs.
“How was your day?” Alex asked positioning himself to be dominant over me.
“Great, even better now.” I said kissing him briefly.
“Why’s that?”
“You’re here.” I answered truthfully.
He smiled and pushed his lips to my cheek. I slid my hand into his hair and pulled gently until his lips were on mine. He didn’t seem to mind about me pulling on his hair and caught his hands up in my hair only to tug slightly at it.
If only every girl could be welcomed home from school like this.
“Am I really the whole reason that your day has been great?” He asked with obvious delight at the thought in his eyes.
I nodded.
“Say it.” He begged.
“You are the whole reason that my day has been wonderful.” I said running my other hand up and down one of his arms.
He smiled and pushed his mouth to mine again. Sebastian came over with a low growl building in his throat. He eventually barked and scared the both of us. Alex jumped and I bit his bottom lip on accident.
“Ow.” He said sucking his lip in and looking at me.
“Sorry.” I said planting a kiss on his chin. “Bas scared me.”
“It’s okay, I’m not bleeding.”
“Not yet.” I leered.
“Oh, feeling feisty are we?” He asked grabbing me and putting me into some wrestling hold that I’d seen him put Jack into.
I tried and tried to get out of it to no avail. Of course this position also allowed him to tickle and kiss my neck. So I wriggled all the more to get out of his grasp but I couldn’t.
I heard the front door open but Alex didn’t let up. He obviously didn’t care because he was doing this to me on the front lawn.
“Come on those positions are for the bed room guys!” Rian laughed walking past us into the garage.
Alex let me go and I ran off to see Rian, I hadn’t seen him all day and wanted to see him too. Sebastian followed me, leavening Alex all alone on the front lawn.
When I got inside the garage I noticed that Rian was doing laundry.
“Wow, a boy who can survive on his own.” I said walking up and sitting on a stool.
“Yea, I can. Alex can’t, but that’s why he has you.” Rian laughed.
“The kid is helpless when it comes to laundry.” I agreed.
Rian looked at me for a moment with something, a question maybe, on his mind. Then he looked back down at the laundry and pulled a few more things out to toss into the washer.
“Is there something bugging you Rian?” I asked picking up on his slightly confused behavior.
“Not necessarily bugging me so much as worrying me.” He said carefully.
I picked up on the meaning of his words. He was worried about Alex and I. Rian had a good reason to be, he knew everything that had ever happened between Alex and I and in detail. So he was probably concerned.
“What is it?” I asked starting to help him with the laundry to show him that I wasn’t planning on leaving.
“Well, just… it’s… I don’t want to offend you.”
“Just say it. I’ll be… open.”
“Okay, do you really like him or are you just doing this because everyone is telling you that you should give him a chance?”
I lifted Rian’s face so that he was staring into my eyes. I wanted him to believe this and not have a doubt in his mind about me.
“It took me a long time to see it and I can’t figure it out why. I like Alex. There’s something about him that I want to be around all the time no matter what I’m doing. I had to be away from him and with another person to see that. I really do want to be with him right now. I’m not doing this because everyone told me to, thought that did get me thinking a lot.”
“Okay.” He smiled believing me. “I just don’t want to ever find out how crushed he’d be if you were messing with his heart again, especially after this.”
“I’m sorry that you had to listen to all that stuff about me hurting him.”
“It’s fine. I learned a lot about you and about him. It also made me feel good that he would choose me to talk to.”
“I’m glad he did talk to you. If he hadn’t talked to anyone…” I trailed off not knowing what to say.
“He would have been in a dark place.” Rian said.
I nodded solemnly. He was right. I had seen him after he’d found out I was with Darren and that was bad.
“I’m glad we had this little heart–to–heart.” Rian said after a moment.
“Me too.”
“Well I’m going to go finish up laundry and I think Sebastian just left you. You should go find Alex before he gets lost on the front lawn.”
“Will do.” I said hugging Rian and walking out of the garage.
Alex was lying in the grass on his back with Sebastian relaxing next to him and his arm across his eyes to shield them from the sun. I sat down on his other side and he reached out for my hand without taking his other arm from across his eyes.
“Did you say hi to Rian?” He asked.
“Yep.”
“Good.”
“I’ve got homework to do.” I said lying down next to Alex.
“Mmm, it can wait a few more minuets.” He said rolling to face me.
Sebastian didn’t even so much as shift when Alex moved. I was soon enveloped in Alex’s arms and staring into his eyes. There was no way I could resist what he had said so I weakly agreed to what he’d said and he smiled before pushing his lips to mine.
What followed was one of those soft kisses that I had missed for so long. I was sure that I was feeling the same things Alex was feeling but I wouldn’t call them the same.
He pulled back and waited for me to do or say something.
“Can we go inside now?” I asked.
“Yea, come on Bas.” Alex said looking behind him.
Sebastian merely looked at us and then put his head back down. He was happy where he was and wasn’t going to move. I had a solution for that. I carried him into the house and put him down. He just walked out into the back yard and laid down by the pool in the sun.
I took my homework and laptop down to Alex’s room while he went to the kitchen for something. I was settled into homework by the time he came back. Alex sat on the bed next to me and started kissing my neck.
“Alex, come on. You promised me.” I said trying to push him away.
“No,” he said pushing is lips to my neck again, “I said I would be mostly good.”
“Okay, well you need to do that now.”
“I am. I let you come inside and now I’m being a little bit bad.” He said biting.
“Alex.” I gasped.
“Mmm.” He mumbled against my skin taking advantage of the situation.
I closed my eyes and leaned my head away from him. It did feel really good to let him just kiss and bite, but I did have homework… but this felt better…
“Oh my God Alex!” I said a while later. “How long has it been?”
“I don’t know.” He said pushing his lips back to mine.
I almost gave in, then I noticed my laptop in sleep mode on the bed. It had to have been at least half an hour since he’d started with this.
“Alex please let me do my homework.”
“No.” He said pulling on my lip with his teeth.
He was trying everything to get me back to how we’d been a few seconds ago.
“Please.” I begged him.
“Why?”
“Because I need to.”
“You don’t need school. I never went to college.” He said finally pulling back and looking into my eyes.
“Yea, but I want to go. So I need to do this.” I said finding the strength to push him back.
He let me this time and sat up. I then noticed that his shirt was gone. What had happened? It was so easy to lose myself with him. That was good and bad.
Alex stretched out on the bed and watched me as I began working on my homework. There was not a single syllable from him to interrupt me and I was surprised at that. He was being good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't know what to say... I wanna hear what you're thinking.