Life Changing Experiences

Chapter 10

Gar wasn’t gone for too long. He returned in about 15 minutes. Enough time to have a quick lunch of Kraft Dinner and tofu dogs with herbal tea. The tofu stuff is very weird, and I feel like I need some real meat, but it’s tolerable. If we are going to be roommates, we’re going to need a bigger room… and one with two beds. He doesn’t have a computer so I wasn’t able to print up résumés for us to go find some jobs. I guess we’ll just have to do that at the library. My scraped up hands were healed so I removed the bandages.

“Hey Rachel! I figured that today we could go around the city and do some stuff.”

“Do stuff? Like what?”

“I don’t know. I just came here recently. Maybe you know of something to do?”

“Hmm… now that you mention it, there is a lot of recreational stuff to do around here.”

“Excellent!” he said, getting some tofu dogs and Kraft Dinner I made earlier and heating them. “After I have some food that I see you’ve made, we’ll go. Sound good?”

“Sounds very good,” I said with a tiny smile, finishing off my tea. “I went back to my house and gathered my clothing and money.”

“What?! Isn’t your father home?”

“No, not right now. He’s at work.”

“Oh, that’s good then.” He sat down at the table with his food and started eating. I watched him out of the corner of my eye, holding still the teddy bear.

“You’re really attached to that bear, aren’t you?” he asked after a minute. I nodded.

“My mother, Angela – who my sister was named after – gave it to me. It was the last thing she gave me,” I explained, starting to feel a little down.

“What happened to her? If you don’t mind me asking.” I shook my head.

“I don’t want to talk about it. It’s too painful of a memory.” God, too painful. Why are there so much sad things about my past? No matter. The future is ahead, and I plan on making the best of it. With or without Garfield; but so far, things seem to be going rather well between us. After all, he almost kissed me. That has to mean something… right?

“It’s okay… I understand. Could I see the bear?” I looked up and slowly handed it over to him. He took it and inspected it closely, turned it over many times and ran his hand over it a few times. “This is a very special bear…”

“Yes. It is. I’ve always treasured it and kept it in good condition.”

“Great condition.”

“If I had to put a title to my most prized possession, that’s it,” I stated quietly, watching the bear, and a little Garfield. He is cute. Why can’t I look at him?

“I know how you feel. About your mother. Well, kind of. I don’t know what really happened to yours…” he stated with a sigh and handed me back my bear. That’s right. I read his diary, which I feel guilty about reading. “Anyway, this isn’t the time to be sad. We’re going to go do some stuff, right?”

“Of course,” I said with a small smile. I got up and put the bear on the bed and got my jacket on. That reminds me: Christmas is on the way. Will I need to get a present for Gar? Of course I will. He’s been ever so kind to me. It’s the least I can do to repay him.

“Where’re we going?” he asked, breaking me out of my thoughts of what to get him for Christmas. It was only in ten days and this was our last week of school before the holidays.

“I was thinking we could go play pool. You ever hear of it?”

“Pool. Is that like… that game with those long wooden sticks and balls you have to sink into holes?”

“Yeah. The sticks are called cues.”

“Oh wow. I’ve never played pool before, but I heard a lot about it. There are no pool tables in Africa.”

“Well let’s go then, I’ll teach you everything about it.” He smiled brightly at me and went to put on his jacket, and then we were off. A few minutes later of walking, we arrived at the pool hall. We entered and there were quite a few people in there, but luckily there was a pool table open at the far corner. The only one left too.

“Wow, guess we’re pretty lucky, eh?”

“Yeah. It’s usually this busy on Tuesday’s.”

“I’m glad we got our own table.” I nodded, and just as we were about to reach the table, a familiar voice boomed.

“Hey! If it isn’t Rachel and Garfield.” We both turned around to look in the smiling face of Victor, from drama.

“Hey Vic. How’s it goin’?” Gar gave him a high five. The two just talked to each the first time yesterday, yet they already seemed like best friends. It’s a little shocking at how fast it happened.

“Going pretty good, little man.”

“That’s good, big guy. What brings you here?”

“Oh, I work here. I was actually just about to get off, until I saw you two. So I decided to come and say hi.”

“Cool.”

“You want to play some pool with us?” I offered him.

“Haha. I’d be too good for y’all,” he stated cockily and winked.

“Gar’s never played pool before. And I come here often. You better watch what you say.” I smirked at him.

“Can you guys teach me to play before you go all pro on me?” We both looked at Garfield.

“Sure man. Come on, I’ll tell you everything you need to know.” Victor brought him over and introduced him to the cue while I set up all the balls in the rack to prepare for the first game.

“So, all I gotta do is hit the white ball with the cue? Okay. Can I try it now?”

“Go ahead,” Victor encouraged him and took a step back. Suddenly, Garfield whacked the top of the white ball with the cue, making a loud banging noise. The ball jumped half an inch in the air.

“Uh… Victor, maybe you should show him exactly how to hit the ball.”

“Right! My bad. Here, grip it like this,” Victor took the cue and got in shooting position to show him how exactly to shoot it. “Now, this is only my way of shooting. Some people alter hand positions, or are left-handed. You just gotta get a feel for the thing. Here, you try.” He handed Gar the cue and this time he got in the correct position.

“Now use your left hand to pull back and push forward the cue. Make sure you aim carefully.” He pulled back and hit hard. I dodged out of the way as the ball came flying off the table and landed on the ground. I picked it up and walked over, shaking my head.

“Here, let me help you,” I said, taking his hands in mine and guiding him on how to shoot the ball. This time when we pulled back and lunged the cue forward, the white ball connected with the racked up balls and sent them scattering. None sunk, but it was a decent break. I let go and looked at him. “You get it now?”

“I… I think so. Can I try again?”

“Go ahead. Also, you can shoot the white ball from any angle,” Victor contributed. Gar nodded at him and moved around the aim for the black ball. “Uhh… you sink the black ball at the end,” Victor now explained all the rules to him. After a minute of explanation and some questions, he nodded his head and again returned to shooting position, only this time to get a stripe in a corner pocket. Unfortunately, he has no idea how to control the power or accuracy of his shot, so he missed it completely. Victor seemed to be enjoying this as he was chuckling uncontrollably.

“Don’t worry Gar, everyone is bad for their first time playing. You have to play it a lot to get used to it.”

“Heh, yeah I expected that. So… who am I playing?”

“How about you take some extra shots to get the feel for it better?” I suggested. He smiled and started taking some practice shots. “I’m going to get a water,” I said and left for a moment. But I heard someone walking at a steady pace beside me. “Yes, Victor?”

“Nothing, I’m pretty thirsty too, and the pop machine is in this direction.”

“Oh,” I said distractedly, listening to the cacophony of voices chatting. It was a little peaceful; I know it’s a little strange, but I can find some peace in chaos.

“Plus, I want to ask you some stuff.”

“Like what?”

“Hmm… you like Gar, don’t you?” I stopped dead in my tracks and gaped at him. “Yup, that confirms it,” he patted me on the back and I shook my head.

“H-how did you…”

“Years of watching people. I know what’s going on between people when stuff like that happens. And I could practically feel it myself!”

“D-don’t tell him…” I stuttered.

“No worries girl, your secret is safe with me. Besides, it’s not my place to tell him.”

“Good… do you know if he likes me?”

“Like I said, not my place to tell.” Damn it. He had no facial expression to give off anything.

“Do you know though?” All he did was shrug in response. Ugh! Why does he have to do this?

“Just drop it for now. Enjoy pool with the little guy. Oh, and me,” he added while smiling. I shook my head again and we got to the water and soda vending machines.

“Consider this one on the house. To new friendships,” he said while opening the machine and giving me a water bottle. I smiled and he did the same, only with Dr. Pepper soda. “Gar want anything?”

“I don’t think so.” He shrugged and we continued our trek back to the pool table. Unfortunately when we got there, Garfield was being harassed by… by… is that Rory?!

“Hey shrimp, what do you think you’re doing here?” he barked, Karen at his side. I heard low growling coming from Victor.

“RORY!” I yelled, walking up to him, glare planted on face, words ready to be said. He turned to look at me.

“Well, if it isn’t my whore of an ex, Rachel Roth.” My mind went blank. He actually has the nerve to call me a WHORE?!

“What the hell did you just say to her?” Garfield spoke up. He dropped the cue and his fists clenched.

“What, the little bitch never told you? After she screwed me, she broke up with me.” WHAT?! HOW DARE HE SAY THAT! I took a step forward, but Victor’s hand got on my shoulder. I looked at him in question and he shook his head slightly, eyes still glued to the scene.

“Let Gar handle this,” he whispered to me. I rose my eyebrow.

“Yeah, she also cheated on me too.”

“I don’t believe you,” Garfield said calmly, yet very coldly.

“Whatever. What you think doesn’t matter.” He started walking towards me and attempted to put his arm around my shoulders, but Gar’s hand got in the way and pushed it back. Rory stumbled backwards before he looked back. “Wanna take this outside, asshole?”

“YO!” Victor roared, now getting angry. Vic is very big… most likely with muscles. I don’t think Rory would try to mess with both of them. Especially in a public place.

“What? Little elf boy here has some idiot here to defend him?” Victor gritted his teeth. It was very audible. Surprisingly, no one in the pool hall has noticed the confrontation yet. “Pfft. If you’re going to get a body guard, at least get a white man. Wait… you picked the right choice with a black guy. Stupid and a low pay.” I could tell Victor was trying his hardest not to smash his face in.

“Hey, dumbass,” Garfield called. That’s the first time I’ve heard him curse. “Why the hell are you picking on Victor? I thought this was between me and you, you God damned prick!”

“Oh, I see. Black boy isn’t a bodyguard. Ditch him as a friend right away,” before he could get another word, Garfield’s fist connected with his jaw. I winced. That must have been painful. A moment later, Rory spit a red tooth out of his mouth. He tried to charge at Garfield, but two other employees instantly stopped him. Garfield also got one employee on him and dragging them out. Victor and I followed quickly. Once we were out of the building, Karen came a second later.

“Come on hon, let’s not waste our time on garbage,” she said in a sickeningly sweet voice.
“Yeah, whatever. I’ll see you dicks later,” he said while holding his mouth. They took their leave after that. Once out of earshot, Gar turned to us.

“I’m sorry, guys.”

“Don’t be. That prick deserved it. And everything he said there was a lie,” I said, putting my hand on his shoulder. He sighed.

“Man, I’m glad you hit him. I would’ve got fired if I took any offensive action against that jerk. Thanks for standin’ up for us though.”

“Eh, it was nothing.” No, it wasn’t nothing. Curious… I’ll have to ask him about it later. That “secret” file I obtained on him said he was always picked on. He never stood up for himself. So why would he do that now? Does he really feel that way about me? Well… there is Victor here too. I guess he can’t stand it if his friends are being picked on. Victor decided to go home after that, along with Garfield and I. What just happened had really dampened Garfield’s mood. I didn’t see him smile all the way back the apartment. He didn’t talk unless I talked to him. Something must be up. And I plan to find out what.