Status: Hiatus

A Pirate's Love for a Hangman's Noose

Shadows

A loud commotion awoke Annabell the next morning. Footsteps pounded over head. Loud voices could be heard but Annabell could not tell what they were saying. Panic flooded through her. Thinking she was late for her first day she quickly got up and grabbed the shirt she had been wearing yesterday. As she stepped towards the stairs she tripped over Elias and Markus. Both boys groaned as she quickly removed herself. She couldn't afford to blow her cover on the first day.

"What's going on?" Elias asked half asleep.

"I don't know," Markus groaned opening his eyes slowly. "Jay what are you doing up so early?"

"I-um," Annabell started in her regular voice before she quickly cleared her throat and deepened her voice. "I don't know. I thought I was running late. All the noise woke me up."

"Its too damn early," Jacob complained rolling over.

"Lazy asses get up!" a man Annabell had never seen before yelled coming down the steps.

Annabell stood up at attention as the man came closer. He had a smile on his face and mischief in his eyes. Grumbles came from the boys effectively telling the man to put a cork in it. The man just laughed and went around gently kicking the boys up. He stopped in front of Annabell and smiled.

"You must be the new guy," the man said smiling at Annabell. "I'm Zack. You'll be working with me in the galley."

"Jay," Annabell said in her deep voice.

"Nice to meet you," Zack said. "Guys get up! I'm sending Johnny down if you're not in the galley in 10 minutes. Jay please follow me."

Annabell quickly followed Zack back up the stairs. She blinked against the rising sun as her eyes explored the area. She hadn't seen much when she boarded the night before.

"Jay, Matt wants to talk to you then I will show you around the ship," Zack called when he saw that she had stopped.

Annabell quickly caught up with the man and followed him to a door. Zack knocked then opened it without waiting for a response. Annabell walked cautiously inside. A huge man sat behind a desk. He looked like the enforcer on the crew.

"Matt this is Jay," Zack said getting Matts attention. "Matt is the first mate."

Annabell wasn't sure exactly what that meant but she knodded and smiled a little. Matt looked up and stared at the person in front of him. Right away he could see something wasn't right abiut this situation. Something was off and Matt was going to find out what was going on.

"Hello Jay, welcome abored the Avenger," Matt said softly.

"Thank you sir," Annabell said softly.

"As Zack said I am the first mate. The captain does not like to be disturbed so if there's anything you need you can bring it to my attention. I will handle everything. You will be working with Zack and the other boys in the galley. We will not be making port again for a while so I hope you don't get sea sick. There are a few things we need to discuss though before you will be allowed to stay abored. Zack you're free to leave and get the boys to work," Matt stated.

Zack left leaving Annabell alone with the first mate. She did her best to keep her composure in front of him. Last thing she needed was to show how nervous and scared of him she was.

"So," Matt started as he leaned back in the chair "why did you want to work on our ship?"

"Well sir, I was ready for adventure. I left home and you were the first ship to come to port. I went to the pub and met the boys. Told them I wanted to join," Annabell lied.

"A little young to be leaving home," Matt stated.

"I needed to leave," Annabell explained hoping she wouldn't have to say too much, but knowing that was highly unlikely.

"Didn't get along with your parents?"

"My father," Annabell lied referring to the man her mother married but she knew that wasn't her father.

"Old man hard on you?"

"Yeah," Annabell said trying not to remember the night that seemed burned into her memory. She could still hear the screams and feel his hands on her.

"What about your mother?"

Annabell felt the familiar pain in her chest that always came with the mention of her mother. Her heart felt like it was going to burst from the loss and memories.

"My mother died," Annabell whispered willing away the tears that threatened to fill her eyes.

"I'm sorry little one," Matt whispered.

"It was a long time ago. I barely remember her," Annabell lied once again hoping the man would not ask to many questions.

"Still rough," Matt said.

"Please don't mention anything to the others."

"I won't. Now is there anything we need to know?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well for starters, is your dad going to come after you?"

Annabell panicked at the thought of that man coming after her. She fought the panic and calmed herself down before answering.

"I don't think he can find me sir," Annabell said though she was a little unsure of that answer herself.

"What does he do?"

Annabell sighed softly yet heavily. She had tried to ask what he did one day. He had exploded on her telling her to mind her own business. Annabell never brought it up again. He had shown her what were happen if she ever did and she decided living was better than dieing.

"I'm not sure," she whispered. "He would leave for months but I never knew where he went."

"Hmm, can I ask what his name is? We need to know just in case."

"Sir, no offense, but he never gave two shits about me while I was around. He won't hunt me down."

"Boy, its been our experience that once something has been taken away people want it back. I need to know his name."

"Jason Carmichael," Annabell whispered.

Matt stared at Annabell for a long moment before he stood up and walked swiftly to the door. The words yelled out of his mouth made her blood run cold.

"Someone get me the captain!"