Hearts and The Heartless

Chapter Thirteen: First Chapter

Emily took a sip from her coffee. She knew that River would leave anyway, but the fact that she was sleeping when he was gone haunted her all day. She promised to go through that book again, and she will not skip on chapters. Another sip of coffee seemed to be able to overcome her anxiety right now. She glanced deeply at the book in front of her. What would it be like, going through the book written by him? She couldn’t help shaking when she finally decided to pick it up and opened it. The first three pages brought him back; she wondered how many pages would revive him for good.
She flipped open and found the first chapter of the book.

Chapter 1
Where we meet again.


EMILY ROSEVILLE really didn’t have a clue about what she was going to do when she saw her father collapsed right in front of her eyes. All she knew was crying, even though she didn’t mean to. She was about to go to work when suddenly her mother called and told her that her father was ill. She drove all the way from Manhattan to Canada and when she finally there, her father collapsed in front of her.
“What happened?”
The Rosevilles were already in the hospital when Emily asked that to her mother. Instead of her mother answering her, her elder brother, Ed interfered.

“Heart attack.”
“God, how much meat did you give him?”
“None, Emily. He was emotional.”
“What about?”
“You, not coming home on Thanksgiving Day!”
Emily groaned.
“Ed, I already told you; I have to handle my clients, and they are particularly busy on Thanksgiving Day!”
“Yeah, that’s right. Babble on about your superstars. Do they ever think about their family on a holiday season like this? Or the right question is, do you?”
“Oh for heaven’s sake, Ed. I’m just doing my job! It’s in my job description that I have to work on whatever holiday season is!”
“Guys, guys, please stop it, or mom will kill herself.”
Both of them glanced around and found Aaron, Emily’s little brother standing between them.
Both Ed and Emily settled down and sat on a really long bench while waiting for the emergency light to turn off. Aaron sat beside his sister.
“Emily, I know you’re in the middle of a fight and all, but I have to ask this. When you said that you were heading to work before you got here, was it My Chemical Romance’s concert?”
Emily smiled and ruffled his fair hair.
“Yes, how did you know?”
“It says so on their website. Thanksgiving Gathering, in Manhattan.”
She kissed the top of his head.
“You always be my savior, Aaron. You’re the only one who loves what I’m doing.”
“I think your job is cool. You know, being around rock stars and all that.”
She laughed softly.
“They’re not so innocent you know,”
“Duh, it says so on their face.”
She laughed again.
“Oh, that reminds me. I have to call them.”
“Really? Can I talk to them?”
“Not yet, but I’ll tell them you said hi, okay?”
Emily backed away from her family, and flipped open her cell phone. It ringed in her ears, but no one answered, until she reached the voicemail box.
*Hi, this is Gerard and I can’t come to the phone right now, God knows what I’m doing, so do what you gotta do. That means, it’s either you call me back or leave your message after the beep.* BEEP!
“Hey, Gerard. I’m sorry I can’t make it to the gathering yesterday. My dad fainted, but he’s in the hospital right now. So I’m calling to tell you that I’m not going to be able to follow you guys around for like, 3 days. You guys have to check back on your schedule which I told Mary Ann this morning. Oh, and one more thing, about the TRL stuff, you don’t need to worry coz you guys are in, with the Carson Daly himself! Just thought that I should tell you the great news, but anyway, that’s all I need to say. Good luck with the Ghost of You video shoot tomorrow, okay? Ok, bye.”
She closed her cell phone and turned around.

**************************************************************************************************

After I was done talking to Gerard’s voicemail box, I turned around and saw a guy was leaning over the nurse counter, and he was wearing a white lab coat, with a stethoscope clinging on his neck. I was stunned for a while, seeing how beautiful this man was. His hair was jet black, he was probably taller than me but I couldn’t figure it out because I was standing a little bit far from him. I couldn’t help but notice that he had the most gorgeous blue eyes I’ve ever set my green eyes on. Yes, the very green ones, which later was glancing down to his butt. Oh, he had a cute butt. I smiled to myself and looked up again. Oh my God, he was looking at me too! What should I do? What should I do?
I turned away and went back to my family. My face went pink obviously. No one had ever caught me staring at their butts before. Most men’s butts I stared were mostly belonged to my clients. Wait, it’s not illegal to stare at one’s butt right? Well, I think he’s sexy, so I stared! What the hell.
“Emily, the operation’s over.”
I looked up; everyone including my mom was off from their chairs and encircled the doctor who just came out of the operation room.
“How is he?” mom shot out the first question. Damn it, I wanna do that.
“He’s in stabilized condition. He told me he never had a heart attack for almost 12 years. So that means he doesn’t have a prescription from doctor. I’m going to give him a prescription, you just make sure he take it okay?”
“So, he can go home tonight, doc?” yes, finally I asked.
“Yes, just give this paper to the nurse over there,” he pointed and I looked. The gorgeous doctor was still there, standing with one elbow on the counter and stared at us. Wait, he stared at me, because I noticed that mom, Ed and Aaron weren’t looking at him. And double wait, I was holding the prescription!
“Emily, just give the damn prescription to the nurse so we can get the hell out of here. This place is freaking me out.” Said mom to me.
“Why mom, worried that when you commit suicide you will end up in a place like this?” Aaron spoke in low voice, or frankly, in menacing voice.
“You mind your filthy mouth young man!”

While they were arguing, I made myself to move forward to the counter. My eyes and his eyes hadn’t moved from each other. When I finally managed to get there, he was smiling. Gosh, the smile just made my heart melted. He opened his mouth, which I was sure he was going to say ‘hi’, but then his pager beeped. He looked at it and rushed away. I felt a little disappointed, but still his smile was good enough for me.